Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Artificial Intelligence

Author
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2012 18:18 Edited at: 13th Jan 2012 18:19
Do you believe that an AI library is missing for AGK. Are there ready to use solutions?
I am talking about steering behaviors, decision trees, Finite state machines etc.
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2012 08:36
Quote: "Do you believe that an AI library is missing for AGK."

IMO, at this stage, not really. If you really need them then you might need to take the Tier 2 route... or code them yourself, if you have the patience and knowledge.

george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2012 05:34
Well, I don't know if I really need them . I am wondering for all these games out in the market, which of them make use of these techniques. I am looking the road for a good game...
westalke
Years of Service
User Offline
Feels to me like the core AppGameKit language needs some improvements before coding in some of these area is totally viable.

You could write a simplified state machine now - but the lack of functionality like arrays inside types would lead to some pretty messy looking code.

The same goes for things like A* type pathing - at a guess until we see where things head in the next release its unlikely anyone will be making big advances in this area.

Westa
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
If you need arrays inside types and advanced functionality, why don't you start using T2, so you don't have to wait for TGC to add these
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2012 17:15
Quote: "You could write a simplified state machine now"

This is how I code al my apps, and it's working OK in AGK. I don't see a FSM as AI, it's just a methodology for coding.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't see how you can write any program without some sort of conditional statements. I also do not expect any language to have automatic ai routines, as I am used to various versions of basic from over the years. I am used to just working out some way to do whatever problem I meet at the time.

george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 18:33 Edited at: 24th Jan 2012 17:25
Hi again,
I would like to show you my progress so far in steering behaviours.
There are a lot of excellent books about this subject, and, so far, it was not difficult for me to start coding in C++ (in conjunction of course with AGK)
Here is an early video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBwGMs166nk&feature=youtu.be
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 23:15
Nice smooth movement and very nicely produced video!

-- Jim
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2012 00:45 Edited at: 24th Jan 2012 01:26
Well simple stats to determine how to move a AI will react. There is also the a path finding algorthm, and if you look at a lot of common code examples in c++, or common example that can't be coded any other way can be used. i used 3 different algorthms and depending on monster type it chose that one for behaivor.

Go through yourself at a wall.
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2012 03:14 Edited at: 24th Jan 2012 03:21
Thank you guys for the comments. To be honest, I work on this library just for fun. For many years now, I had the desire to implement a library of this type using the C++. The release of the AppGameKit was the ignition for the start of the coding.
I will try to include more steering behaviours like:
Wall avoidance
Hiding
Path following
and some Group behaviours
PS: Because I am inexperienced on other platforms except Windows, I have no idea how many clock cycles eats such a library. Will an iPad, for example, be capable to run a game in a reasonable frame rate?
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
With recent dual and quadcore cpu phone/tablets I don't think there should be a cycle problem
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2012 14:24 Edited at: 10th Feb 2012 19:48
Hi guys,
I hope I am not bothering you, for waking up a relatively old thread. I have ready a last video about steering behaviors for a single game agent. I am thinking for setting up a blog, if things will continue smoothly in my next steps. My goal is the implementation of an AI library, just for fun, targeting the AppGameKit product.
If someone is interested about the story just drop me an email ("moraldi at gmail.com" or "moraldi at hotmail.com") and I will inform you when the blog will be ready.

Here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrL2Kz4Id3A&context=C39b0741ADOEgsToPDskLWJIpUbrTnQhq_5wZUngs0

Edit: The library is not handling collisions. This means that if the programmer will not set the parameters correctly for a game agent, it is possible the agent will pass through a Wall or an Obstacle. Fortunately, the library, acts on every AI agent a force, which makes me to believe that I will integrate smoothly into the physics capabilities of the AppGameKit sprites.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2012 14:36
That's very neat. I assume it's done with raycasting? I started something similar in DBPro.

george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2012 15:43 Edited at: 10th Feb 2012 15:44
Thanks baxslash

Quote: "I assume it's done with raycasting?"

No, just 2D maths
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2012 15:45 Edited at: 10th Feb 2012 18:00
Wow really? I tip my hat. Surely raycasting is easier though? It could work with moving objects (such as other cars) without having to recalculate everything every time... Let me whip up a quick demo of my thoughts on this and get back to you.

EDIT: Here's a quick demo using raycasting.

EDIT 2: And just for more kicks, here's a version with cops and robbers too

george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2012 19:02
Oh man, that's an excellent piece of code which demonstrating the easiness of AppGameKit and its built in capabilities.

The only obvious benefit using the Tier 2 for these type of things is the ability to use the code with other rendering platforms.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Moraldi, Well done, your video shows a lot of interesting AI concepts.

Will you make this set of routines available to AppGameKit users, or is it just for your own perusal?

Would love to have those functions in AppGameKit!
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2012 21:03 Edited at: 17th Feb 2012 21:06
Hi bjadams, I missed your post...

Quote: "Will you make this set of routines available to AppGameKit users, or is it just for your own perusal?"

My intention is to make this framework available to AppGameKit users.
First I have to complete the group behaviours, so the programmer will have a more complete tool set.
Upon completion and testing, I will create a blog for this stuff although I don't know how popular such a library could be...

BTW: I am wondering about the comparison(in terms of size) between the two bases: Tier 1 and Tier 2
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Moraldi, I for one would be interested if you make this available. I have no researched if there are any other similar ai libraries that can be easily integrated with AppGameKit T2.

Btw, I am using T2
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2012 00:03
If you need it translated to C++, I can help/do that.

george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2012 21:26
I started a new thread here
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=195313&b=48
because I think it's more proper place.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 04:31:56
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 04:31:56