Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Android activations

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2012 22:32
The Android activations counter on the android magazine site "Little Green Robot" just keeps on rolling.
http://www.littlegreenrobot.co.uk/category/hackerzone/
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2012 23:07
Apparently it's running at about 750,000 a day at the moment.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2012 23:35
Quote: "Apparently it's running at about 750,000 a day at the moment."
If sweden was the only country buying them at that rate, the whole population would have one in less than 2 weeks
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2012 08:29
There was an announcement not long ago about 700.000 new activations every day. And only new devices are counted. If you buy a used phone it is not counted. It is really impressive.

I read in an article that the economic situation is making people choose cheaper Android phones rather than iPhones. Android is also a lot more popular than iPhone in Europe. But also the more expensive Android phones are competing directly with iPhone Phones. Galaxy S2 have sold millions and millions last year.

It's funny though, I believe Nokia is still the largest mobile phone manufacturer. Their share is constantly decreasing but still large. It's weird because I rarely see Nokia phones these days. A friend of mine bought the latest Nokia model, simply because his previous phone was Nokia. And the OS is quite ugly compared to iOS and Android. My brother bought a Nokia because it had the best camera on the market, planning to use it in his work.

But if you walk into a phone store these days and listen to some customers you will notice how important brand loyalty is. An older man walked in to buy his first smartphone, knowing nothing about them he wanted a Sony Ericsson because that's what his old phone was. An Android based SE is completely different from an old dumbphone SE. Sticking to a particular brand when you move to smartphones makes no sense if you have any knowledge about Android.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2012 13:14
Nokia screwed up recently and lost ground with their OS. The way I read it, they are now desperately teaming up with M$ to roll out Windows Mobile on their phones to get back in the game.

TheZoq2, I see you are in Linköping...I was there in November, been there 3 times now. Stayed in the Scandic West and walked past the University every morning.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Nokia will be mostly producing Windows phones from now on
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2012 23:47
Yeah, but other companies will also do Windows Mobile phones, in addition to their Android phones. I've heard some say it looks good and it's supposed to be easier to use than Android. But I don't really find Android hard to use. WM7 looks a bit like the new Xbox 360 OS which is horrible. They had something that worked really well and messed it up.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2012 12:14
Quote: "WM7 looks a bit like the new Xbox 360 OS"

It's the other way round, they made the xbox look like wp7, which was designed to look like windows 8. Microsoft are making all their operating systems look and work the same way in their future operation model.

Personally, I dislike the look of windows 8 'Metro'. Probably why I haven't installed my copy of it yet...

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2012 13:24
Windows 7 is good so I don't expect anything from Windows 8. MS have a history of only getting every other OS right. Looking forward to Windows 9

It will be interesting to see where Android is going as an OS when the ARM based hardware comes up to laptop power. If you have seen my thread on the OMAP 5 you know what I'm talking about. I would love to see Open Office on Android and things like that. How about a proper 12" Cortex A15 based netbook with detachable screen/tablet? We still haven't seen a tablet larger than 10". Which I believe isn't large enough to properly work on.

Zubby1970
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK Studio Always
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 00:01
i have the developer version of windows 8 its pannts, and i dont mean that like, " i love these pants their great" i mean it like " these pants really itch my legs and i hate them and will never wear them again unless im made to " lol

There can only be one

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 09:02:56
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 09:02:56