Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK Viewer Error

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2012 17:41 Edited at: 21st Jan 2012 20:17
I've had hold of AppGameKit for a while but only just had time to start to use it. However, I can't seem to get the AppGameKit Viewer to work.

I have:
AGK v1065
iPhone 4s software version 5.0.1
iPod Touch software version 4.2.1

I run the AppGameKit Viewer on both iDevices and then select 'Compile run and broadcast' from the IDE ... so far so good?

The iPod continues to say 'Waiting for Stream' and does not change but the iPhone displays an almost black screen with just 12 pixels in white. The white pixels are a 4x3 rectangle 5 pixles from the left and 252 pixels down. This happens with every project, whether it is my own or one of the examples.

Any ideas?

[Edit]I don't know if it helps when trying to debug the error but the device name does change from 'Windows' to 'IOS' when the viewer is set to receive.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2012 17:42
[Image Attached]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 00:39
Does your program print "Hello World"? Try altering the size of the text

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 01:28
Quote: "This happens with every project, whether it is my own or one of the examples."

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 11:11
Ensure your devices and PC are all running on the same network subnet and that your router and firewall are allowing communication both ways. The waiting issue is often caused by a communication obstacle.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2012 15:24
Hi guys, I'm having exactly the same issue as Scraggle. There's no communications obstacle that I'm aware of, as I can ping my iPhone at a very high speed, yet it just gives me the same black screen and white dot (precisely as Scraggle indicated in the screenshot) whether I'm running code of my own or one of the inbuilt examples...

Has there been any progress made on this?

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2012 01:36
The issue for us is one of reproducing the problem. Everyone here and plenty of AppGameKit Viewer users are running the exact same binary on almost identical devices and running fine. We need to identify what is specifically different about your set-up that produces the black screen and white dot. In code speak, this happens when the Viewer has established an initial link between the AppGameKit IDE and the AppGameKit Viewer, but cannot send/receive the large compressed visual data to the device for streaming. We always found that it was either a corrupt network port (so we reset all devices), or the IP address of the PC was not able to send packets to the IP address of the iOS device (and vice versa).

If you or Scraggle are willing to play guinea-pig, then please email me directly at lee@thegamecreators.com and we'll see how far we can get to understand your system set-up. It would be great if we did find it was a bug, as fixing it will make future issues such as this a thing of the past. Whatever the cause, I think it's worth investigating, no least to provide a better error message than a black screen and white dot.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2012 05:11
Hi Lee, feel free to use me as a guinea pig! I have no current AppGameKit projects, so I don't mind breaking things and whatnot! You have my email (I emailed you about it earlier on) so I can do whatever you'd like!

I'm sure it is something isolated locally, like you said, rather than a bug in AppGameKit, but it'd be nice to get to the bottom of!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 06:01:45
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 06:01:45