Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Mysterious networks broadcasting

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2012 20:56 Edited at: 26th Jan 2012 20:57
When I check for broadcasting networks on port 45631, I sometimes get an extra network, and sometimes two extra. In this screenshot you can see I got the "App Control Network"

Then when I tried again, it had gone. Sometimes I get a second one whose name I forget right now, but it ends in "Control Network" again.

Does anyone know what this is? It causes me problems because I don't want to present this as an available network to the users.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2012 21:12
OK, answering my own question, I think this may be a prior incarnation of a network that didn't die immediately. I have no idea how this might happen once the app ends, other than the port doesn't release in Windows and keeps broadcasting perhaps? In any case, it plays havok with my port allocation for new networks, I create new ones and then clients can't connect to it whilst this entry is in the list.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2012 23:20
Talking to myself now...

The two are App Control Network and App Viewer Network. It looks like they are alive whilst the application is deployed to the client Players when developing. In a live environment they shouldn't appear.

It's possible to have non-AGK apps, and multiple legitimate AppGameKit apps on the same LAN. So when connecting you need to check a token to ensure you're connecting to another device hosting the same game type (Connect 4 players can't connect to Motorcross Bikers!)

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm probably wrong, but those could be for the AppGameKit Viewer and the AppGameKit Player.

Sean

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2012 08:59
You're right, my additional testing helped me realise that it was my development device, looking at the broadcast messages whilst the mobile devices were still receiving the app. so this wouldn't happen in a Live scenario.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 02:14:58
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 02:14:58