Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / FONTCreator - Setup your own fonts easly!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2012 18:55 Edited at: 7th May 2012 15:51

Current version - V 1.1

Old:

Here it is. Made in less than two days. (Version 1.0)

This tool will help you set up your own fonts for AGK. Just make an image, which will follow AGK's restrictions

Quote: "For variable width the image must be an atlas texture accompained by a subimages.txt file that states the location of each character on the image. The AppGameKit will look for images "32" up to and including "127" in the subimages file and any not found will default to the space character (32)."

To see which characters are they, look here.

You may want not to use small letters, but capitals only. Then just skip the characters you don't want.

When you have such image ready, open up FONTCreator.exe, select it & open it from the dialog box that will appear, and begin positioning boxes! It is really easy. Here is the guide from instructions.txt:

Quote: "At first, thanks for using Font Creator!

Now, to the instructions. They're very basic as i haven't introduced
a GUI. So, here's a step-by-step guide:

1. Select a file from the popup box.

2. Place green boxes to corresponding places. You may stretch them by grabbing RIGHT or DOWN ledge. Move them by grabbing their center.

3. Press ctrl+s, another popup box will appear. Call it imagename subimages.txt. In place of imagename the name of your image. Remember to keep the file with _FONTCreator addition next to the main .txt if you want
to load it correctly later!

4. You're done!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&& ADDITIONAL INFOS &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

There are a few options. This will describe them.

< Save capitals >
- It will free you from setuping small letters. Instead, when you save, it will make small letters have just the same positions as capital letters. If you have small&capital letters in your font's image and yet want to have both, don't select this.

< Display chars >
- This toggles characters' midgets. Just try.

< Rectangle Colors >
- This lets you choose rectangles' colors! Try it.

< Opening a file >
- Press ctrl+o and select a file to load it!"

Version Changelog:

In-App screenie:

Avaible Soon.

Follow me on twitter! @kamac496
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 12th Feb 2012 20:13
interesting... hope I can use this soon when I start to use AppGameKit more... just waiting on the update in March... I will gladly donate if I make use of this...

Well Done!

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2012 20:32 Edited at: 12th Feb 2012 20:33
Thank you for your input! Here are quotes -

Quote: "interesting... hope I can use this soon when I start to use AppGameKit more..."

I hope you will be able to

Quote: "I will gladly donate if I make use of this..."

&
Quote: "Well Done!"

Thank you

I will make sure to keep updating FONTCreator, so you will probably get even better version!

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
GREAT tool! Just what I was looking for!

3 important features you should add:

1. make boxes move pixel by pixel when pressing arrow keys! This is very important for pixel perfect grabbing.

2. show width and height of each box so that I know that i marked the right area

3. if there is a subimages.txt file when font is LOADED, put the boxes in the right place, so that I can save and continue marking the font later. Right now you have to do all characters in 1 go, and cannot adjust afterwards
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2012 22:15
Quote: "1. make boxes move pixel by pixel when pressing arrow keys! This is very important for pixel perfect grabbing.

2. show width and height of each box so that I know that i marked the right area

3. if there is a subimages.txt file when font is LOADED, put the boxes in the right place, so that I can save and continue marking the font later. Right now you have to do all characters in 1 go, and cannot adjust afterwards"

I already have all of those three in my to-do list. Thank you for giving ideas through
Those will be added in the next update.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
looking forward to the upgraded version then
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2012 23:01 Edited at: 12th Feb 2012 23:02
I can ensure that tommorow i'll release version 1.1 which will contain either two or the whole three of given points, so stay tuned

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 01:07
This is what I call dedicated... just be sure to create a project timeline and stick to it

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 05:50 Edited at: 13th Feb 2012 05:55
Does not really work on my machine that well. I got a 32 bit and a 64 bit.
I thought you would incorperate mfc into this project. If I have made mfc work with agk actually I can make mfc work with any thing.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, and zipzapzoom apps.
Veterian for the military.
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 07:21
I'm really sorry. When i was about to sleep, i reminded myself of a huge bug which messes up the saved coordinates. So, at the moment saving doesn't work, but it's going to be fixed instantly when I'm back home (which is in about 7 hours from this post). Sorry again.
Quote: "
Does not really work on my machine that well. I got a 32 bit and a 64 bit."

Could you tell me the error you're getting?

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 12:59
Wohoo.

Update to version 1.1!

Here's the changelog:

Quote: "Version 1.1
- Ability to move boxes with your arrow keys with pixel-perfection. (Lastly moved box is the one moved by the arrows)
- Opening files!
- Width & Height informations toggle ability.
- Huge bug fix. You can now save correctly.
- Small fixes which include version name in the titlebar."

The link has been updated, @ my first title post. I suggest downloading, otherwise, you won't be able to save your work properly. (Fixed in 1.1 as you saw in the changelog)

C&C welcome

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Load option does not seem to work for me
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 14:04
It seems Load and Save functions is working fine for me
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 14:42
Quote: "Load option does not seem to work for me "

Could you tell me what happens?

Remember that you must make a new save ( you can't use older version's save ). Also, you cannot load a external subimages.txt, because it doesn't have the _FONTCreator.txt addition, which defines x and y offset.

Quote: "It seems Load and Save functions is working fine for me "

I'm glad

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 14:53 Edited at: 13th Feb 2012 14:54
WORKS!

I had to press CTRL+O

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 14:55
Quote: "WORKS!

I had to press CTRL+O"

Super. Just read the instructions.txt next time

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 15:02
I was quite interested when I saw this posted (I always am when someone else starts a Font Creator project) and have just finished looking at it.

It took me a while to work out that you had to feed it a font image to start off with, although this was a classic case of me diving in and not reading the instructions first.

The process of dragging the individual box's over the letters I felt was a little tedious, and I think that you should add some kind of automatic positioning first. It doesn't have to be too accurate as the user can adjust them to perfection later.

I liked the thought of being able to save only Caps though. I will have to add this to my own font creator once I resume work on it at the end of February.

Keep up the good work, I shall follow with interest

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 15:07
Quote: "The process of dragging the individual box's over the letters I felt was a little tedious, and I think that you should add some kind of automatic positioning first. It doesn't have to be too accurate as the user can adjust them to perfection later.
"

No doubts, I will think of that.

Quote: "Keep up the good work, I shall follow with interest "

Super

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
The automatic boxing of characters would be a SUPER option!
That would really make things faster, but I think the algorithm would be pretty hard to do well
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 20:54
Quote: "but I think the algorithm would be pretty hard to do well"

Nothing's hard when you really want it.

At the moment I am tired & I am during development of my game for android using AGK. I will look towards adding that option into FONTCreator soon through.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 10:39
I'm hoping the TGC will extend that map up char 255 in the next release. Maybe you should bear that in mind!

-- Jim
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 14:00
Quote: "I'm hoping the TGC will extend that map up char 255 in the next release. Maybe you should bear that in mind!"

If they do, I will release a quick update. FONTCreator is programmed in object-oriented style, so it'll take me about 10 minutes to add more characters.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 16:39
Just finished the 255 code recently, so it will be in the next update. I ended up using a forum member's suggestion (sorry, I can't remember who) to use a separate image for characters 128-255 so there will be SetTextFontImage() and SetTextExtendedFontImage(). It uses the same rules as the current image, but slightly bigger, 8 rows of 16 characters, or a subimages.txt file with images "128" to "255".
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 17:02
Great job kamac

I don't know if already exists, but maybe with some slight changes you can create an "atlas textures creator" ? The only thing to change it's the capability to name each zone (instead of numbers for fonts) ? And re-reading the "imagename" subimages.txt for the "load" function.

Another thing to remember is maybe to add scrolling capabilities for large images

this would be really useful for me (and for a lot of people i think
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 17:45 Edited at: 14th Feb 2012 17:46
Good to know Paul. Thanks for the info.

It'll be supported when the new version comes out.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2012 10:21
It was me, Paul! The reason is that it's then possible to switch the upper code page to (say) Greek, whilst keeping the Roman characters and numerals.

There's some basic information here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page

This is a bit old-fashioned, really, because just about everything is Unicode these days. I'll look at the possibility of creating a series of upper pages mapped to a Unicode font page. This would be immensely useful for our Chinese and Japanese friends.

-- Jim
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2012 12:34 Edited at: 15th Feb 2012 13:41
Quote: "I don't know if already exists, but maybe with some slight changes you can create an "atlas textures creator" ? The only thing to change it's the capability to name each zone (instead of numbers for fonts) ? And re-reading the "imagename" subimages.txt for the "load" function."

Sure, that's not even hard . I would have to know how does atlas textures work with AppGameKit first.

@EDIT

Got it.

FONTCreator will probably envolve, but I think i will make it commercial instead. (FONTCreator takes my time, which I could spend on creating my android game) There are no donations and adding new features is exhausting. I will think of it.

MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2012 18:20
as soon as it will be available with atlas texture support, i will buy it !

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 08:35:00
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 08:35:00