Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Borders on PC

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2012 23:56
I have a question about borders appearing on different PC's.

My app runs at 432x720 which is 0.6 ratio using the percentage system. As far as I have managed to perceive things the resolution doesn't appear to make a difference other than when running the app on a PC(or perhaps mac), the ratio is what seems to make all the difference on the phone I'm testing on (Galaxy S).

Here's the weird part, on my PC I get no borders. On another guy's PC there are quite big borders. Shouldn't the window just be less wide then to take care of that? Granted our screens run att different resolutions, I have an older 4:3 flatscreen and the other is a widescreen laptop.

I really don't understand why there are borders on one PC and not another when the app runs in a window. If anyone could enlighten me that would rock, thanks.

My hovercraft is full of eels
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I cam across the same problem sometime ago too.
Why should there be borders on a PC if the window size is fixed?
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2012 10:08
When you ran your application on a different PC, did you have the setup file in the same folder as the exe? The setup file seems to define the screen size when it's executed, even after compilation.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I am using T2, and teh border problem was there too
lilpissywilly
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2012 12:15 Edited at: 24th Feb 2012 15:46
The problem, like Hodgey said, was that the setup.agc file wasn't in with the exe on the other computer.

Shouldn't the setup.agc be compiled into the exe?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 27th Feb 2012 14:38 Edited at: 27th Feb 2012 14:40
sometimes, ASPECT RATIOS get ignores if the users screen resolution is of a certain type...

For example 1280x720 screen res might create borders on the vertical axis like 4:3 on a 16:9 screen for a 800x600 app

Aspect Ratio is different from Screen Size if that helps...

but

Quote: "The problem, like Hodgey said, was that the setup.agc file wasn't in with the exe on the other computer.

Shouldn't the setup.agc be compiled into the exe?"

got me confused... did you recolve this issue or?

EDIT

How does one get away with that username?

lilpissywilly
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2012 15:43
Yes the problem was resolved by placing the setup.agc with the exe. To which I'm wondering: shouldn't the setup.agc compile into the exe?

To your second question, I have no.idea

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 27th Feb 2012 15:46
Quote: "To your second question, I have no.idea"

hahahaha

Quote: "To which I'm wondering: shouldn't the setup.agc compile into the exe?"

interesting indeed

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2012 16:13 Edited at: 27th Feb 2012 16:14
The setup.agc file is a simple method of editing the window settings in Windows. Most platforms don't need it so it doesn't get "compiled in". The exe does not get compiled at all as it is just a standard interpreter copied into the project folder and re-named. Take a look at your projects folder and the windows interpreter. They are always the same size (just over 1.1Mb) and if you use winmerge you will see they have the same contents.

EDIT: Should add that the only thing that is currently compiled is the bytecode in Tier 1.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 14:54:00
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 14:54:00