Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Game deployment cycle for Android

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am writing a game for Android and I have questions about testing and deploying. I use Windows as my development tool.

1. To test my game, I should download and install the AKG Player for Android to my mobile device. After this, I Compile, Run and Broadcast my game and it will get installed in my Android device. Finally, I can test/run my game entirely from my device. Is this correct?

2. To deploy my game, I must upload and publish it to the Android Market so users can download it. The binary code generated by the AppGameKit IDE is all I need to publish. Am I correct?

3. Should any Android compatible device work, Kindle Fire for example?

Respectfully,
Jorge Maldonado
victordavion
Years of Service
User Offline
The Kindle Fire doesn't officially support the Android Market. So an unrooted Kindle Fire will not have access to your game. However, if it's rooted and has the Market its running Android version is 2.3 so it should work.

There are detailed instructions how to deploy your game to the Android Marketplace here: http://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/guides/33_android.htm
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes you can test via WI-fi on android no problems. I assume to sell your game you need to make an apk file, and sell it from anywhere, but generally, yes android marketplace is probably going to have more hits than your website

Mosr devices work ok but some have a few issues, from what I have read. Android 2.3 or higher is a must for one. I heard the Experia Play joypad had issues too, but that is still being worked on I believe.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
The final signed apk to upload to the Android Market is not generated by the AppGameKit IDE, but by the Eclipse IDE. Check the guides.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2012 23:54
Quote: "1. To test my game, I should download and install the AKG Player for Android to my mobile device. After this, I Compile, Run and Broadcast my game and it will get installed in my Android device. Finally, I can test/run my game entirely from my device. Is this correct?"

That's partialy correct, the game will be sent to your device, but it will not "istall" to it, once you exit the app, the game will be forgotten and you will have to brodcast it again.

Quote: "2. To deploy my game, I must upload and publish it to the Android Market so users can download it. The binary code generated by the AppGameKit IDE is all I need to publish. Am I correct?"

Partialy correct again, to deploy your game, you will have to use the eclipse IDE, and cygwin to compile the bytecode that AppGameKit creates. While this may sound easy, it's not as easy as you may think. A lot of problems can occur the first time you do it. It took about a month for me to finaly get it working. But once you do it will just me a matter of writing 2 lines in cygwin and refresh the project in eclipce to compile a new game/version.

Quote: "3. Should any Android compatible device work, Kindle Fire for example?"

I don't know about that one, but theoreticaly, any device with android 2.3 or higher shuld work fine...
Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2012 00:19
to add to what The Zoq2 said,

Once you've got it into eclipse, that will create an apk and download it to the device.

This will stay on the device until uninstalled and can be rerun at any time.

The apk can also be passed to friends and family to test out before you commit to the final build for the market.
JORGEMAL
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Zoq2 for being so specific answering my questions.

When you talk about ECLIPSE IDE, do you refer to www.eclipse.org?

If so, there are many downloads here. Is Eclipse IDE for C/C++ developers the one to get?

If I am correct then I should load my game into Eclipse IDE and compile it to generate the binaries that will work with Android. Is this true?

Is there an AppGameKit documentation source to get the final Android code (use of Eclipse and cygwin)?

Respectfully,
Jorge Maldonado
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2012 06:06
Speaking of Android, when will the AppGameKit Player app be fixed so that we can deploy onto the Amazon marketplace?...

Hi there. My name is Dug. I have just met you, and I love you.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2012 08:20
If you look in the help files, there are sections for each platform, and how to build the final app. The Android page tells you which release of Eclipse you need, and provides links to all the tools required.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 7th Mar 2012 16:06 Edited at: 7th Mar 2012 16:07
I just wanted to jump in here and let everyone know that Android Market as of today no longer exists and is in the process of being renamed to Google Play

a quick Google brings up many articles

EDIT

Fixed link into code...

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
what will happen to all registered developer accounts?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 19:16:32
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 19:16:32