Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Run on Linux

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2012 22:53
Hey, I have a question.

Will AppGameKit ever be capable of running on Linux?

Thanks.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
they seem interested to support the RasberryPi platform, which indeed is linux right?
Greenster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 11:34
Android is Linux too. Java runs on Linux.
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 12:32
Quote: "Android is Linux too. Java runs on Linux."

Sure, but you cannot run .apk on Linux

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2012 19:45
but you can run Java on Linux, so when Java is supported you get Linux and Solaris and IBM iSeries...and...and...and

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2012 20:40
Quote: "but you can run Java on Linux, so when Java is supported you get Linux and Solaris and IBM iSeries...and...and...and "

Oh. That's cool.
Though, I wonder If I still will be able to run my C++ code, while it will be Java..

DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2012 06:27
When will my Commodore 64 or my Commodore Vic 20 run AppGameKit? :-p

App Game Kit (A.G.K.) - Want to be creative on many platforms at once? This is the tool you need.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
C64 is no good, it does not run Java!!!
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2012 15:30
Wine for Linux works great with what AppGameKit programs I have tried ( Might not have full support)

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2012 19:58
If your Linux browser supports Java, you will be able to run your AppGameKit app on our forthcoming Java browser platform. We are not looking to support Linux natively at this time, but have not ruled it out. Which OS do you recommend we support, as I believe there are a few

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
polomint
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2012 17:41
I am currently using the Tier 1 IDE with Ubuntu via Wine emulation. It's not particularly stable but saving regularly helps with that,
I find cut+paste tends to crash AppGameKit, and also seem to have problems with some demos not working, but I am assuming that is to do with some of the graphics commands not wanting to work under Wine.
At the moment I am just attempting to learn a bit about the commands in AppGameKit so the crashes aren't really a problem.

It would be nice to be able to build and send to my device (playbook) but it seems that is only available in the full paid version of AppGameKit
If that was allowed in the trial version (maybe with a watermark on it), then I'm sure the excitement of seeing your own code running on your own device would make people buy the full version of AppGameKit,

Anyway, I'll probably buy it eventually,

Blackberry App Development & ZX Spectrum Game Development.
XanthorXIII
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Linux is a dead desktop platform. It has not been able to overtake Windows or Mac OS in any capacity. Too fragmented, complicated and not a lot of support. RTFM is not considered support btw. No reason to bother with it. Linux is still fine for servers but desktops not even a chance.
polomint
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2012 21:29
I don't consider it to be a dead platform at all. It runs well on low hardware such as the netbook I use at my girlfriends place, and even though Wine is a bag of rubbish it still allows me to toy with learning the AppGameKit commands. Admittedly I'd rather be on my Win7 PC, although that will have to wait until I can get it over here,

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2012 21:41
Quote: "Linux is still fine for servers but desktops not even a chance."

That's why I need it. When I make MMO and have server .exe, it's cheaper to run it on Linux than on Windows.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2012 22:04
Linux makes a great desktop platform if you use it to do virtualisation (amongst other things).

I have 6 virtualised Windows computers (XP, Vist, 7, 32/64 bit) with different versions of IE (6 through 9) and use it for testing web site development and other applications.

Linux isn't for everyone. But I know lots of people (my husband being one of them) who only consider the virtualised windows as a minor tool and do everything else in native Linux (Open Office is great).

My home office has a Linux machine, a Windows machine and a Mac Mini. I use Windows on my 'home' machines (desktop and travel).

If I could find tools that do everything my clients expect of me, I'd probably make my Linux box my main one.

But then I do Perl programming for personal use and fun. I'm just your basic geek.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2012 01:35
Ancient Lady, I'm sorry to hear that you're married. I was beginning to fall in love with you. Linux, Mac-OS, Windows - they're all just tools, as you say. I'm working on a radical new OS called PinaColada. It does absolutely nothing. It has only two keywords - Mix and Drink. Could do well.

-- Jim
polomint
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2012 10:01
Do you need testers to test PinaColada? hehehehe

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2012 16:13
I am flattered JimHawkins.

Your new OS sounds great! Now we need a PurpleTequila one. (Hornitos Reposado, two squirts lemon juice, Ocean Spray Cran-Grape over crushed ice)

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2012 19:18 Edited at: 4th Apr 2012 19:23
You see! - you release a new operating system and immediately there are six more with different ingredients.

I've had to extend the number of keywords slightly. Here is a small example of its power:

-- Jim
polomint
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2012 19:22
lol Jim, absolute class, lololol

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2012 20:45
Good pseudo code, too.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2012 14:00 Edited at: 5th Apr 2012 14:04
http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/public-sector/3348475/munich-mayor-says-switch-linux-is-much-cheaper-reduced-complaints/

Right, linux is a dead platform, until more corporations and governments switch to linux and has everyone starts getting used to it and it starts getting more support. (installing, updating, removing, experimenting, and virtually 0 threat of viruses is a huge win for linux)

Trust me guys, Linux (Ubuntu specifically) is way easier to use than windows for the absolute beginner. You guys are looking at it from a power user perspective. Yes, do do great things in linux, it takes more than clicking checkmarks in faraway places. It's also possible to do things in linux you just can't do in windows. I use linux now for the majority of my worktime things and I can do way more in linux than I ever could in Windows.

As for the beginner, imagine the user who checks email and surfs youtube. As long as it works in the first place, these types of folks love ubuntu.

That said, is it at the point where we need native agk support? No. Support from wine or java is good enough for me.

polomint
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2012 15:40
@Jericho, I'm using AppGameKit under Wine atm on this Ubuntu netbook (Win7 at home), and I find that it is forever crashing on me (CTRL-S is my best friend heh). Also any cut and paste operations bomb it out too.
How often does it crash for you?

I may bring my Debian6 install on my external drive to my gf's and use that connected to my netbook. I prefer Debian6,

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2012 16:25
Quote: "How often does it crash for you?"

I use windows for AppGameKit Development. But actually running apps in wine seems pretty good from the demo's I've tried.

Right now I'm focusing on some web dev stuff which I do almost exclusively in linux.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2012 02:36
I imagine this issue will resolve itself when we make the IDE cross-platform to compliment the engine, as it sounds like the IDE which is having the problems. Although we are not planning to address IDE issues from within virtual emulators, we might look into providing documentation on the compiler options for AppGameKit so you can plug in another IDE instead of Code::Blocks which might fair better in the emulated environment (if there is more community call for this).

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
polomint
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2012 10:09
Now that sounds great Lee,
I'm constantly switching between Windows and Linux during the day, so being able to use a cross-platform idea which is stable and store my projects on a shared folder will be very handy.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2012 14:42
Well, code blocks itself is cross platform, and actually I quite like it. I'd like to use the official IDE with AppGameKit plugins. Would that be possible?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 15:03:45
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 15:03:45