Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Compiler problems and observations

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2012 18:54 Edited at: 17th Mar 2012 18:55
I've been working on a game since AppGameKit came out which the main code has reached a little over 3000 lines (including space and comments).'

First off a little extra info:

AGK Version is 1065
My project is Tier 1 basic
OS is Win XP Pro

When attempting to compile my project, I started getting Process terminated with status -1073741819 errors in the past couple of weeks.

I saw that this issue had been reported in the past and was supposedly fixed or that's what I thought I read.

While I haven't discovered exactly what causes the problem, I have found a couple of things that for no apparent reason will stop the error and allow you to continue your work.

As you're working (if you've encountered this bug) you're probably compiling after ever small set of changes to see if it bugs out on you.

What I started doing is commenting out lines with commands on them until the compiler stops throwing the error. Once I find that line I do one of two things, I either add a comment line right before the line with the command that pushed the compiler over the edge, or I add a line right before it that assigns a random variable such as an iterator like i to a value of 1.

Now neither of those solutions work every time, it's always one or the other that the compiler likes, however I had a 100pct success rate using those 2 workarounds until yesterday.

Starting yesterday, and I can only assume its due to the size my main.agc file has grown to, I can no longer add code without getting the Process terminated with status -1073741819 error.

I am basically dead in the water. I can't add code of any kind whatsoever without getting the bug.

I tried splitting my code into a second file and using an #include but that failed to have any effect.

Is anyone else experiencing these kinds of problems with the current version (1065)?

Anyone know if there is a fix coming in 107 or was this issue considered fixed already?

If anyone has come across any solutions, fixes, or witch doctor spells that will let me continue my work, please share
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
It was supposed to be fixed, and indeed is a lot better than it was. I have had the error crop up on me since then, but not for ages now. The only crashes I tend to get these days, is if I try to access an array out of bounds.

I certainly hope I do not see that old bug again, but my current project is probably only about 1200 lines long. Using separate files and include# also didn't help with the old bug.

I would consider putting up a fresh bug report and posting your code for TGC to test on the google bug board. Of course you may not want to release the code into the wild so to speak.

I feel for you, the old bug practically killed my shooter project as the artist lost interest in the month it took to fix. So now I'm working on a new project, using mostly my own ropey graphics for now. One thing I did twice in 2 projects when the bug was common was optimize as much as possible to get a few more spare lines to work with. So all or most media loaded in a loop, rather than reusing load image etc.

Perhaps the imminent update will fix this at the same time as adding more commands.

Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2012 21:59
Have you tried to put the "END" command between the main loop and the functions?
Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2012 00:50
I do get the error occasionally, but its always been down to a problem with the code.

I don't think its a size issue, except perhaps the compiler having problems reporting the error due to size.

My main project is a little over 8300 lines and uses 17 include files, so I think you have some way to go yet.
KareDev
Years of Service
User Offline
I also get this problem, and often eliminate it either by putting in spurious lines of code (like just a statement saying "blah = 1" in a random place) or by removing comments/carriage returns. No idea why this appears to fix it but it works.

I hope some kind of bugfix is incoming though; I'm about to start integrating my art and animation into my latest app and I'm concerned I'll hit a roadblock.
KareDev
Years of Service
User Offline
Just this minute I added a few extra statements to my project, stuff that I know to be correct (or at least stuff that shouldn't trip up the compiler), and now I'm having to look for comments to remove, as I'm getting the "Process terminated with status -1073741819 (0 minutes, 4 seconds)" error when I try to compile - and my app's only 3200-odd lines in a single AGC file right now.
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2012 18:49
I'm experiencing a similar problem .. having arrays to become undeclared at runtime without any redim .... very strange !

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 14:04:14
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 14:04:14