Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / about publishing and copyrights.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2012 22:04
How do I register a trademark for my game that no one can steal, and it is also possible to publish an app without having a company? I plan to create a game using agk, but will not know how to publish it, what should I watch for and where to register the copyright. Here in Brazil to register the copyright of a software is kind of expensive, around $ 150. If I want to make a free game, and if he is good enough for any company is interested, I need to have the copyright on it or I can be stolen right?. Sorry if posted in the wrong place and for my bad English (google translator) .
KareDev
Years of Service
User Offline
You can't trademark the "idea" for a game unless it is something incredibly innovative, and I don't mean to be rude, but you probably don't have anything innovative enough.

There have been various court cases throughout the history of gaming that show this; one early example was how Atari attempted to patent a side-scrolling game with Defender, but ultimately were unable to.

However, there are some things that you can claim ownership of, and you do not need to trademark these via any official means as long as you can later prove your ideas came first - these are more specific things, such as game titles, game artwork and assets, or game character designs. However, whether or not you can sue for ownership is very much a grey area unless when your work is ripped off pretty much as-is, or is visible in the resultant work. A recent example would be Tiny Tower/Dream Heights, where Zynga ripped off the idea of a small developer and got away with it.

Basically, document everything you make carefully - but if your app gets ripped off, just be aware that you may not be able to do anything about it. It's sad but it's the way things are.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 06:18:12
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 06:18:12