Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK App Seeing Other Files :O

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2012 22:36 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2012 22:56
I finished my Lite and Full versions of my newest app for Android. I copied the Lite folder in the Android directory, changed all of the settings (package name, app name, version number) in Eclipse, compiled in the folder with Cgywin, cleaned the app, and created the signed APK.

When I run the app on my Android device - it lets me see all of the files created from the Lite version! I thought as separate packages, that they shouldn't see any data from the other!

I am really confused, could anyone help me?

EDIT: I cleaned out all other AppGameKit apps on my device, and it still shows up when I run the app

EDIT2: The name and package change did take place. When I tried to install the 'full' version onto my device, it asked me if I wanted to install the new app, not replace existing

EDIT3: I just confirmed it. I installed both the Lite version of my app, and the Full version. If I make a brand new 'Save Game' in the Lite version of the app, it will appear and show up in the Full version. Any changes made in the Full version of the app will appear in the Lite version.

This is a HUGE bug for Android.

Hi there. My name is Dug. I have just met you, and I love you.
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2012 23:02
I think that all your saves are being stored in AppGameKit folder @ android devices.

So, you'd have to change save file name in lite or either pro version of your app.

anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2012 23:10
Quote: "I think that all your saves are being stored in AppGameKit folder @ android devices.

So, you'd have to change save file name in lite or either pro version of your app."

So every AppGameKit developer shares the exact same folder for data? So, if DeveloperA and DeveloperB both save their application data as "saveGame1.txt", etc., and a user has both apps installed onto their device, there would be data collisions?

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2012 23:18 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2012 23:21
Quote: "So every AppGameKit developer shares the exact same folder for data? So, if DeveloperA and DeveloperB both save their application data as "saveGame1.txt", etc., and a user has both apps installed onto their device, there would be data collisions?"

No, there are subfolders. So, if your game is called mygame and your package is for instance com.mycompany.mygame, then there is either mygame folder inside AppGameKit or com.mycompany.mygame folder inside AGK.

So, when you create a file, say, save.txt, it'll be in either AGK->com.mycompany.mygame or AGK->mygame

@EDIT

Checked, there are indeed sub-folders with applications' labels as their names.

So, you either have to change app's label, or save file name.

anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2012 23:21
Quote: "No, there are subfolders. So, if your game is called mygame and your package is for instance com.mycompany.mygame, then there is either mygame folder inside AppGameKit or com.mycompany.mygame folder inside AGK.

So, when you create a file, say, save.txt, it'll be in either AGK->com.mycompany.mygame or AGK->mygame
"

Then this doesn't work. My app name is different for both. 'Caves Isna Lite' and 'Caves Isna', and 'com.bukketgames.asiiisnalite' and 'com.bukketgames.asciiisnafull'

Unless AppGameKit truncates the package name, but still. Even by what you're saying, it should work.

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2012 23:24
Quote: "Unless AppGameKit truncates the package name, but still. Even by what you're saying, it should work."

Yes it should... If you have an android device, then try creating a file lite.txt and full.txt, where lite.txt is being created by the LITE version of the game and full.txt is being created by FULL version of the game.

Then, use Astro file manager to check where were those files created (Look on sdcard, then inside AppGameKit folder). If they're next to eachother, then there will be something to worry about.

anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2012 23:28 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2012 23:28
Well, regardless, I'm glad my game is running on Android. Considering I've made a whopping $1.00 on my Android sales - compared to $150 for iOS - I'm glad I can just playthrough my game before I attempt to compile in XCode. I'll fix the problems for Android once iOS is released.

AGK team, any clarifications on this? The whole Save file thing on android?

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
sometimes AppGameKit creates a folder named "unknown" on the sd card instead of a folder with your app name, that's why both apps are sharing the same data.

TGC have to fix this, putting data on the SD card in not a long term solution. Data has to be saved in the actual app folder, like with ios.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2012 20:34
If you can provide a step by step and post it to the http://code.google.com/p/agk/issues/list board the bug won't be lost and we can act on it for the next update. The engine is designed to place your app files in the app folder for Android, but you may have found a bug which avoids this behaviour. The more detailed the step by step, the more chance we have of reproducing it.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2012 09:18
Quote: "If you can provide a step by step and post it to the http://code.google.com/p/agk/issues/list board the bug won't be lost and we can act on it for the next update. The engine is designed to place your app files in the app folder for Android, but you may have found a bug which avoids this behaviour. The more detailed the step by step, the more chance we have of reproducing it."

Do you mean how I compile it into an APK, or within the AppGameKit IDE? If needed I could ship over my code to ya. I separated my file saving code into one module, so it should be easy to parse.

Like in my other post, I'll post it to Google Code sometime this week

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 01:57:39
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 01:57:39