Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Instant Loading

Author
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Many iOS games seem to load instantly. They display a couple of game logos as soon as 4 seconds after you launch the app, and the game almost starts immediately.

This seems to be a problem with AGK. The iOS exe is around 1mb large because there are those interpreter & joystick graphics embedded. Hence it takes a considerable number of seconds until AppGameKit actually kicks off agk::Begin()

Is there a possibility to kill those 340k of embedded interpreter pictures in T2 and maybe put them in the Xcode project instead so if I don't need to use them I can simply remove them from the project?

I know that Lee had commented on this option in the Google Bug board, but we heard no news after that.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Odd, I was only thinking how quick AppGameKit seemed to start up apps when compiling for android. It ran my shooter app, pretty instantly and it is fairly large now. I do not own any mac hardware, and so have not been able to test on iphone etc, apart from the odd test using AGK's broadcasting ability using the player if someone has one on them. The player is slow, but I thought the compiled apps would be pretty much as good as android ones.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
My query is for iOS not for Android
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2012 20:59
Hi, if you are compiling your own iOS AppGameKit Player or final AppGameKit app, you can locate the lines of source code that 'generate' those extra AppGameKit internal files and if you don't need them, comment them out. This should improve load speed. Just be aware each of these files has a purpose and without them some graphics will be missing. We left them in by default as this allows users to get up and running quickly with AGK.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2012 21:17
Quote: "Hi, if you are compiling your own iOS AppGameKit Player or final AppGameKit app, you can locate the lines of source code that 'generate' those extra AppGameKit internal files and if you don't need them, comment them out. This should improve load speed. Just be aware each of these files has a purpose and without them some graphics will be missing. We left them in by default as this allows users to get up and running quickly with AGK."

Good idea would be to add a (example):

" #define USE_INTERNAL_GRAPHICS 1 "

then when there's that image creation/loading simply

Would save us troubles of editing Core.cpp. Same goes for phone orientation tests. We may not need sensors in our app, therefore this check may be useless. (Though, we are able to remove it ourselves, it would take a second to figure out)

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Lee: I am using T2, any indication where are the lines to comment out as this would be a really great option
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2012 22:04 Edited at: 1st Apr 2012 22:07
bjadams, look at this function:

Under Core.cpp.

That's the only thing I've found atleast.

Possibly change from:

to

Which will prevent it from running.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Kamac the problem I see is that these internal images, which I have no use for as I don't use the virtual joystick & the AppGameKit interpreter screen, are in libImages.h and embedded in the library file, so they are eventually still embedded in the exe when you compile!
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2012 22:11
Quote: "Kamac the problem I see is that these internal images, which I have no use for as I don't use the virtual joystick & the AppGameKit interpreter screen, are in libImages.h and embedded in the library file, so they are eventually still embedded in the exe when you compile!"

Yeah... I've just saw that

I guess we've got no way in excluding them... I'll search a bit anyway.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
in T2 it makes more sense to make these images part of the C++ project file on every platform, so that we can just delete them if not used.

in t1 include them as part of the interpreter project.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 11:15:39
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 11:15:39