Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 vs 2008

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2012 19:50 Edited at: 27th Mar 2012 19:52
Hi everyone,

I bought DarkGame Studio a while back, and I'm jumping into DarkGDK now. I tried once before and had some trouble so I'd see if I could get some help this time. thanks

DarkGDK runs on top of Mircosoft Visual C++ correct? In my manual it says to install Mircosoft Visual C++ 2008, but when I use the link from the DarkGDK installation app it takes me to the Mircosoft Visual C++ 2010 page. http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/visual-cpp-express

Will DarkGDK still work with this earlier version, and will installing DarkGDK on top still be straight forward. Or I found this too. Is it the 2008? http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=29

thank a bunch, I apologize for being a newbie.

xix psycho xix
Years of Service
User Offline
DGDK will work with visual c++ 2010 express but you have to manually set the dgdk directories for include and library files. there should be somewhere on the forum where this is explained if not I can tell you the process. The second link you provided is just the runtime it is not the compiler/ide. If you go to the vs2010 download page there is a link there at the bottom of the page that leads to the 2008 editions as well.
Daygamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2012 16:01
@xix psycho xix,
Hey, I'm very sorry it has taken this long to reply. I feel bad Your comment was very helpful, and I'm up and running now. I have another question if its not too much trouble. I'm a little confused as to exactly how GDK relates to C++. Is GDK only associated with The Game Creators? Will using DarkGDK be a lot different that just using Mircosoft Visual by itself? Would someone please enlighten me? I would appreciate it. I plan to respond sooner thanks

xix psycho xix
Years of Service
User Offline
The GDK is only related to The Game Creators, yes. It is an additional library that is built to work with Visual C++ specifically and no it really isn't that much different than using Visual C++ by itself, it just adds methods to use graphics rather than the built-in functions of Visual C++. What happens is when you install a new library and include it's headers you are telling the compiler that you would like to use some of the code in the external library file. The system will, upon compilation, link to the external library and add in the functions from the library that are to be used in your program. A program that uses no external libraries will have a very small executable because it will not have any code other than what the programmer writes. Unless the programmer writes a huge code base by himself there will be little functionality in a program because there will be no method of I/O or many of the other basic necessities of the program. DarkGDK has many I/O functions, most of which deal with graphics. Other libraries that are common to use in C++ are iostream, fstream, string, and a few others. You should definitely learn how to use these libraries as well because they are standard. If you need more info I would be happy to tell you whatever I can! BTW i like ur avatar
Daygamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2012 08:01
okay thanks a bunch. very helpful. I'll refer back to this when I sit down to do it next. I may end up with more questions haha. Thanks again for being so available and helpful!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 11:34:34
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 11:34:34