Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Going from GDK to AGK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm working on a project with GDK, but I might shift to AGK. I was wondering though, I know stdLib stuff works for GDK but I'm wondering if AppGameKit will work on other platforms if I include "math.h" or <queue>/<deque>.

I'm also a bit scared that some of my more elaborate C++ code might not work on other platforms (elaborate here having the meaning of "pointer foo"). I don't know how AppGameKit interfaces with compilers for other platforms.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2012 19:37
From the looks of it, you'll be using Tier2.

If you don't use platform specific functions, anything you can compile as a C++ program should be fine.

If you want to move your GDK stuff over, you may have some issues. For instance, you won't use any of the GDK libraries.

For Tier2, you don't use the AppGameKit compiler, you use whatever compiler is native to the platform you are working on. For Windows, it would be MS Visual C++ Express (either of the most recent releases). For the Mac world (including iOS and Mac development), it would be Xcode.

There isn't a set of 'native' libraries for other platforms, yet. Things like Android devices are done in Java. For non-mac and non-windows apps, you pretty much need to do Tier1 programming and do interesting things to get the bytecode into the proper platform.

So, using pointers and "math.h" should be fine. I don't have any experience with <queue>/<deque>. But, if they are part of standard C++ libraries, you should be okay there as well.

I've been enjoying doing Tier1 programming for now. It is the way to go if you truly want to code something once and distribute it across many platforms.

With Tier2, if you want to produce apps on multiple, you'd need to tweak your projects/code to accommodate the each platform.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Ancient Lady, why does he have to use T1 for non-Windows & non-Mac platforms?

He can well use T2 & C++

I use T2 C++ AppGameKit with Windows, iOS, Android & Blackberry.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2012 20:34
Okay. I stand corrected.

I was under the impression that Android and Blackberry used a non-C++ environment for the AppGameKit based apps.

I could not guides for doing C++ Android work (there are no guides for Blackberry at all). And there weren't any sample native projects for either platform shown.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2012 21:38 Edited at: 31st Mar 2012 21:39
Quote: " And there weren't any sample native projects for either platform shown."

This link:

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/native/documentation/tutorials.html

Shows that you can code in C++ for blackberry.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Ancient Lady, right now all T2 AppGameKit platforms use C++.

I guess that will change with www support and windows phone
GreenFox
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you. I understand that I'm going to have to translate my engine calls over when I move from GDK to AppGameKit, but that's ok, because most of my engine calls look like this:

(then every time I want to draw a line, I use DrawLine() instead of dbLine().)

So, translation to AppGameKit shouldn't require TOO much effort. I have had trouble getting AppGameKit (the demo) to compile in Visual Studio though. GDK seems to configure it self with VS, but I understand (with all the platforms/compilers) how that might be hard to do.

Does the AppGameKit Demo just have that splash screen at the end? Is that the *only* difference?
zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2012 11:23
Note that STDLib is not fully supported on android! I had a problem when using lists, sadly!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 07:34:51
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 07:34:51