Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / Seclusion Redux (x9)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2012 04:07 Edited at: 30th Apr 2012 04:09
Quote: "Would you like your scientist to sound a little nerdy or as an old guy."

Not nerdy, but not old either (just to be awkward!) Let's say middle aged and experienced.

Quote: "I'm not an actor. You did put this description: "Conflicted, torn between duty to fulfill his research, and his adherance to scientific ethics" I'm not sure I can sound that way but I know I can do inflections and I can pause at the correct places. I'll try my best. "

That's ok. I was more than happy with the previous voice recordings you did for me, so I'm happy to let you do your thing with this one as well

Quote: "Looking forward to seeing it in the BlackFox showcase"

So am I! BlackFox is a superstar! The barracks level (the one shown in my previous post), will be the next level to be showcased, then after that, it will probably be the science level, which is the one the new voice recording will be going into

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2012 05:18
Quote: "BlackFox is a superstar!"

I an doing nothing special. Just playing the level(s) and taking screen shots/recording video. And drinking coffee at the same time I might add (without spilling a drop). Now that is talent.

Twitter: @NFoxMedia
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2012 01:23
Quote: "And drinking coffee at the same "

lol, who says men can't multitask!

Anyway, slight change of plan. I've been trying for most of the day to get the Barracks level built ready for showcasing, but my PC keeps hanging part way through the build. So it's looking like I'm going to have to do my annual cycle of maintenance early this year (format all my partitions then re-install win me, win xp and Ubuntu. Then reinstall FPSC etc).

So I won't now be able to get anything ready for showcasing until the weekend at the earliest...

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2012 03:48
Well, I did send you the first character voice (encounter 1). This might be why you haven't gotten it?

As far as multi-tasking. Nope not me anymore. I have to quit doing what I'm doing and then take a couple of swigs of coffee from my cup.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code . . . reminds me….. if I had one more brain cell, I could have a synapse! woo hoo, Sparky!

~I'm the Terry of the Flatlands.
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2012 04:13 Edited at: 4th May 2012 18:40
Quote: "I did send you the first character voice (encounter 1). This might be why you haven't gotten it?"

Yes, sorry, I've only just checked my gmail. I've got the file thanks, I'm just going to have a listen to it now

[EDIT]I managed to finish the maintenance on my PC a day early, so I was able to prepare the next level for BlackFox to showcase for me. I'll post again as soon as it's ready [/EDIT]

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2012 21:45 Edited at: 4th May 2012 23:24
Here's the showcase video of Level 5 (misnamed in the video as level 4!). It's the same level as the one in map editor view in a previous post.

Here's some screenshots of the same level;

Can anyone spot the deliberate mistake in the screenshots?!!

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 22:17
Sorry for the lack of updates lately. I'm currently working on Full Version levels while I'm waiting for the 2nd voice recording from Flatlander (who's currently busy testing Animer).

As soon as Flatlander gets a chance to make the voice recording, I'll be building the Science level ready for Blackfox to showcase.

This next video will also show gameplay with in-game audio, rather than just being a walkthrough with music.

Then, hopefully, after the voice recording is done, I can test, then build the 7 Shareware levels ready for play-testing. One it's fully tested, and there's no bugs, I'll upload it to my GameFront account for you all to try out

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2012 00:09
Bruce, you should have sent me an email. I didn't realize you were waiting for that last recording. I am now back on my game plus I will get that voice recording done soon.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code . . . reminds me….. if I had one more brain cell, I could have a synapse! woo hoo, Sparky!

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2012 02:50
That's ok, I wasn't dropping a hint or anything, I knew you were busy testing Animer. That's why I didn't send you an email.

I've been working on some of the later levels which will be part of the full version of Seclusion. I've also been judging for the 1.19 Compo, and working on a couple of other projects I've got on the go. So I've been quite busy myself, there was no real urgent need for the voice recording.

Thanks for posting anyway, and if you do have time to make the voice recording that's fine, but don't let it get in the way of your own projects

I'm now going to check out your WIP thread, as I see you've updated it...

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2012 04:07
I never mentioned how much I like the new stuff you're showing. Also, this is to let everyone who is keeping track of this thread that the voice over is finished and Bruce has it and is anxious to get it incorporated into the game. It's going to be demo time soon I hope.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2012 04:34 Edited at: 4th Jul 2012 05:45
Quote: "I never mentioned how much I like the new stuff you're showing. Also, this is to let everyone who is keeping track of this thread that the voice over is finished and Bruce has it and is anxious to get it incorporated into the game. It's going to be demo time soon I hope."

Thanks a lot Flatlander! The voice file is now incorporated in-game. The next thing I'll be doing is to make a single-level game of the science level which incorporates the voice file, so that it can be passed on to BlackFox for showcasing.

Since this level is probably the most important level of the shareware game, I've already asked him if we can make a full gameplay video of the level, rather than just a quick run through with music. This will give people a much better idea of how the finished game will look and play.

Once this is done, there are still a few minor tweaks to be done (including sorting out the lighting where it makes certain doors glow really brightly). Then the shareware game will be built and passed on to my play-testers.

So, after nearly 2 years of development, a couple of abortive attempts at builds, and an extensive re-working, I finally feel like l'm getting somewhere with this game!
I feel I must thank a few people, without whom, I wouldn't have gotten this far with the re-worked version of the game;

Scene Commander for his work, both on FPSC itself, and for some most valuable input for the game's over-all new look.

Flatlander for agreeing to do the voice-acting for me, and doing a most excellent job of it too I must add.

And finally thanks to BlackFox for his most generous offer to help me showcase the game, and also for becoming a de-facto play-tester whilst shooting and capturing the showcases.

The 3 of you are absolute superstars (as well as everyone else who has helped me!)

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2012 05:26 Edited at: 6th Jul 2012 05:29
Here's the showcase video for level 4 of Seclusion. This time it showcases the gameplay, rather than just being a highlights video with background music. It shows some of the combat, voice acting and plot elements of the crucial science level;

Once again, thanks go to BlackFox for capturing the showcase videos for me

Here's some screenshots (I forgot to resize them again, sorry MODS);

There's still 3 more levels which I haven't showcased yet, but probably won't, as I want leave some surprises for when the shareware levels are eventually released!

Once version 1.20 final is released, I'll attempt another build, to be passed on to my testers. After which any bug fixing and final tweaking will be done. Then the shareware levels will be released.

As for a date, I'm not willing to give a release date at this stage, let's just say 'soonish'!!

I'm still working on the levels for the full version of the game, but these still need voice scripts to be written, then acted. After that, there's the usual bug fixing, tweaking, adding features etc etc. So there's still quite a long way to go before I can even think about releasing the full version of Seclusion...

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2012 21:18
I decided to attempt a build using version FPSC 1.20 B2. The build was succesfull (all 7 levels of the shareware version built with no problems!). There were a few minor bugs that need to be fixed, but apart from that, the shareware game is now playable from beginning to end! Another major milestone!

I still won't be releasing the shareware game until FPSC 1.20 final is finished, and then not until after it's been thoroughly tested by myself and my testers.

So far I've built, or started to build, 4 of the new levels which will be in the full version of the game. I still need to start designing and building the final 6 levels (the full version will have a total of 17 levels).

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2012 18:13
I've now successfully built the shareware levels using both 1.20 B2 and 1.20 B3.

Now that the game is this far in its development, I've started the process of getting the game published on Desura. I'll be posting updates about the progress of this in the near future.

Before that happens however, I'm still waiting for the final release of 1.20, then I'll be passing the shareware levels on to my play testers.

In the meantime, I'm continueing to work on the remaining full version levels. Once the shareware game has been published, I'll start to showcase some of the full version levels...

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2012 22:25 Edited at: 26th Oct 2012 22:28
Brief update; After having old map compatibilty problems, and after some advice from Scene Commander, I have made the decision to completely re-build the game from the ground up, using 1.20 Final when it's released. At the same time, I have decided to 'version lock' the game at 1.20, so there will be no further upgrades to my install of FPSC.

This will achieve 2 things; I will no longer have compatibility issues when trying to add new media to old maps. And there will hopefully be fewer bugs to iron out, when the game is tested before being released.

Obviously this will further delay the release of the game; but in the long term, I believe this is the best way forwards.

In the meantime, I'm currently preparing one of the later levels for showcasing, before it receives the re-build treatment (the level is still buildable in its current state).

I didn't get any feedback from the last showcase (even though it included first video to include actual gameplay), so would really appreciate some c & c for the next lot of pictures and video...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 03:43:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 03:43:41