Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / A question regarding coding in Dark Basic.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2012 01:51
Hi, in the summer time i am going to be hopefully taking a course in visual basic, and i was wondering if anybody here knows if i can translate what i learn in visual basic to dark basic.

Thanks.

Current Project: The Underground: Awakening
zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2012 02:26
It should. The code in VB has the same base syntax and the style is relatively the same, but some of the commands are different. I learned Qbasic 20+ years ago, and when I went to VB, it was an easy move. Then to DBP it was pretty easy. There will be a lot of learning in methods of game creation with your loops, timer based gameplay and such, but if you know the syntax, it will be a lot easier.

I would suggest you get into DBP now, and it will make your class that much easier! While everyone else is trying to figure out things, you will be throwing stuff down like nobody's business! I made a bomberman game in VB about 8 years ago.

defiler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2012 03:49
Thanks for the info! i will take your advice and start testing the water in DB!

Current Project: The Underground: Awakening
Millenium7
Years of Service
User Offline
+1 to the above. Infact I learned more about the 'basic' language from DarkBASIC than VB, thanks to the included example code and a much better explanation of what each command does. When I was learning VB all I had were the built in help files which were horrible, most of the time they didn't properly explain each command, nor the syntax, or how it could be used in cooperation with other commands. The result was I was banging my head against a wall trying to figure out the syntax

I loaded up DBPro, found a similiar command, read the actually helpful help files and it all fell into place. I find DB classic to be better than DBpro in this regard as I feel there's much more documentation and examples. But DBPro is a much better package to actually code anything in
sheffieldlad
Years of Service
User Offline
i'm only a noob but I have dabbled in VB in the past and I have to say the above advice is good advice.
experience in any language will benefit you in learning another language.

pogo: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/65597655/pongo.zip
Breakout clone: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=185535&b=6

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 07:30:39
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 07:30:39