Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Help! Showstopping compiler error.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
All of a sudden the compiler started throwing this error when I try to compile my project.

Execution of 'AGKCompiler.exe main.agc' in "Path to my project" failed.
Nothing to be done (all items are up-to-date).

Updating the code saves the agc file itself, but the compiler refuses to compile it, insisting that nothing has changed.

To check the problem wasn't with my project files, I tried it with another project. Same error.

I uninstalled and reinstalled AppGameKit completely. No help, still getting the error.

I have no idea what caused this, one moment things were working fine, and the next moment the compiler refuses to compile...anything.

Any ideas?
Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2012 02:00
Normal questions to get them out of the way..

Windows updates? New Drivers?
Installed any new software, removed any old software?
Changed access rights on anything?
Plugged anything in, removed anything that was previously plugged in?
Disk Full? Quota Reached?

What do the system logs say?
Grumpy Jedi
Years of Service
User Offline
As far as I'm aware, nothing changed, although obviously something did

Haven't installed or changed anything.

Nothing plugged in or removed.

Disk not full.

What quota are you referring to?

The system logs don't appear to contain anything useful.

I do recall now, that not long before this started, I was testing my app, and upon executing it, I got an application error that said something to the effect, failed to create sound device, make sure you have directx installed.

At that time I just closed and restarted my app and it worked fine with no errors so I didn't think anything of it.

Later the compiler stopped compiling...

Now since then I've reinstalled AppGameKit, which has the directx installer built in, so that was updated too.

The question is why can't the compiler see that my source files have been updated when I attempt to compile.
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2012 03:01
Changing the folder name of the project folder may cause this, I remember having problems similar to this when I changed the folder name. Open up the project folder in notepad to make sure everything is what it's supposed to be. Does this happen with a brand new project with a simple HelloWorld program?

Grumpy Jedi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2012 03:18 Edited at: 15th Apr 2012 04:41
I have not changed the folder name.

A brand new hello world project exhibits the same behavior.

No matter what I try to compile the compiler insists that nothing has changed and refuses to compile.

EDIT:

I think the question is, what setting/ini file/registry entry etc would cause the compiler to spit out this error and not compile a file that has changed. I've been digging around and I cannot find anything.

Is there a way to force the compiler to recompile a project that it thinks has not changed?

My project is dead in the water till I get this figured out
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2012 10:22
Could your antivirus be doing something to stop the compiler?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2012 10:23 Edited at: 15th Apr 2012 10:25
Does this happen every time including the first time? Maybe you could try deleting the byc file in the media folder?

Did you uninstall before reinstalling?

Grumpy Jedi
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Does this happen every time including the first time? Maybe you could try deleting the byc file in the media folder?

Did you uninstall before reinstalling?"

I've been working on this project since AppGameKit came out. I've never had any problems with compiling before.

Deleting the byc file has no effect. It's as if the compiler isn't even looking in the right place or at the project files that I'm trying to compile.

I did a complete uninstall before reinstalling, and made sure the directories were empty with the exception of my project files.

I'm thinking this must have something to do with the error I got the one time when executing my app for testing. The one that said failed to create sound device, make sure you have directx installed.

Just after that error the compiler stopped working. I'm thinking there must be a setting/tempfile/registry key/cfg/or ini file that can cause a problem if the AppGameKit app fails in that way?

If I could locate the culprit that's causing the compiler to abort because it thinks the project files are up to date when they're not, then it would hopefully be fixed in no time.

Now I just need someone to point me in the right direction.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2012 00:33
I'm curious about the run error mentioning directx.

My understanding is that AppGameKit does not use directx at all.

Are you doing Tier1 or Tier2 programming?

If it is Tier2, what, if any, other libraries are you using?

While you may not have done any updates manually, do you, by any chance, have your Windows set up to do auto updates?

I have a client whose internet connection failed from one day to the next because their computer updated a driver automagically.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Grumpy Jedi
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Are you doing Tier1 or Tier2 programming?

If it is Tier2, what, if any, other libraries are you using?

While you may not have done any updates manually, do you, by any chance, have your Windows set up to do auto updates?
"

I'm using Tier 1.

I have auto updates disabled.

Nothing was updated by me or automatically updated.
Grumpy Jedi
Years of Service
User Offline
UPDATE: I have solved the problem...

After continued digging I found a file in the Application Data\CodeBlocks folder of my documents called default.conf, (aha! configuration file)

I decided what the hell, let's see what happens when we get rid of this file, and what do you know, the problem was instantly solved My application now compiles and runs without incident.

This file must be getting corrupted somehow and is not removed upon uninstall or reinstallation of AGK.

Additionally, upon closing AppGameKit it said the default perspective had changed and did I want to save it, so I said yes, and closed AGK.

Now just to make sure everything was still working I reopened it and attempted to compile, but this time, I got the known 1819 compiler bug.

I easily fixed this by adding in a line assigning a random variable, you can also remove one that works too (sometimes it takes more than one).

Now the only thing that changed between my two compiles was saving the "default perspective" which I'm going to guess updated the CodeBlocks default.conf(iguration) file.

If I had to guess I would say this file is responsible for not only the problem I just had, but also the 1819 bug.

At any rate, thanks everyone for taking the time to read and respond to my help request. Now back to coding!

PROBLEM SOLVED!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2012 14:40
Thanks for sharing the solution. It sure makes life easier when solutions are shared and not just problems

Glad you got it sorted

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 11:32:57
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 11:32:57