Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Fix for activity 6.3, hands on dbpro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2012 07:49 Edited at: 27th Apr 2012 08:21
For those of you who may be reading through the first book of hands on darkbasic pro, I randomly figured this out when I was reviewing some chapters.
In activity 6.3, you will not get a proper working program with the code provided. The output will always be that the point(pixel) is not black. Here is an easy fix with material that was already covered previously, so no headaches

Edit: Posting this here since it applies to those just starting out with DBPro.
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2012 13:55
And just for fun, something a little more interactive.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 28th Apr 2012 00:07
you would think they have an errata on their site...

thanks for this!

is this for book I or II?

danctodd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2012 04:01 Edited at: 28th Apr 2012 04:05
@Hodgey
That would be a great deal more entertaining...
But I couldn't add that to the book because I was trying to implement what material was covered so far in the book.

P.S.
Does Australia use old English as well? I know where Alistair is located, they do. Thank the Heavens there isn't too many differences between British English and American English. Colour vs color, theater vs theatre, center vs centre, etc.
Gets a bit confusing here in America. They slowly get rid of the more sophisticated ways of spelling words. Blonde used to be correct. Now Microsoft Word tells me it has to be blond.

@MrValentine
It is for book 1. I am still a ways from getting to book 2. I believe there will be an update to the books within the next few months. Re-proofing them for Alistair. Fixing mostly small grammar errors or incorrect solutions.

He is a busy guy though. Finishing one book and then he will be on to another. So I'm not 100 percent sure when he will implement these. I'll be helping with his book he is tackling following his AppGameKit book. I don't know if I am even allowed to mention the programming language, but it will be a good read, I can promise!

I can honestly say, even with the errors included, they are still a great source for learning. Not many authors that can claim to take a beginner step-by-step and follow through with it. Usually they start slow and then throw the uneducated into a wiry mess.

***Special note for people with the ebook versions of the books***
Make a copy of the ebook and open both. Then you can have one opened to the content and the other to the solutions page. Beats having to go back and forth.
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2012 11:14
Quote: "That would be a great deal more entertaining...
But I couldn't add that to the book because I was trying to implement what material was covered so far in the book."

Oh, are you editing the book? I thought you were someone going through the books inorder to learn programming. Well, whoever sees this thread gets to see the Hodgey Special.

Quote: "Does Australia use old English as well?"

We use Shakespearian English over here, how art thou? Yes, we use old English. I haven't actually found any differences between ours and England's. We spell colour with a 'u' and for some words such as centre and metre, we use 're' instead of 'er'.

danctodd
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Oh, are you editing the book? I thought you were someone going through the books inorder to learn programming. Well, whoever sees this thread gets to see the Hodgey Special. "

I am actually doing both. Learning and proof-reading. Think it helps because while someone who has experience may just slightly skim over a section, I am taking it word for word. There isn't going to be anything amazing with the revised version. Like I mentioned, mostly small grammar errors or a minor error in something like the code or solution.

Quote: "We use Shakespearian English over here, how art thou? Yes, we use old English. I haven't actually found any differences between ours and England's. We spell colour with a 'u' and for some words such as centre and metre, we use 're' instead of 'er'."

A few words are swapped here and there as well. Brits use the word 'lift' while Americans say 'elevator'.
A few more differences:
http://brilliantbritain.blogspot.com/2008/08/what-did-you-say-american-english-vs.html

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 04:22:36
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 04:22:36