Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Back to basic after 15 years

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I used to write program's using basic on spectrum and Amiga years ago and I want to get back into it again on PC, I have downloaded the free version of Darkbasic pro and just want to know am I on the right track, I want to write manager style games like football manager formula one manager etc, more stats etc then just graphics. I also want to know what's the difference with the free version and the full one at £40+. I have got the sticky PDF file that learns you all about the language as I've forgotten a hell of a lot. Thanks for your help
Millenium7
Years of Service
User Offline
apparently the only difference is DBPro free has ads and cannot be sold commercially

for one reason or another my free copy which i downloaded from the TGC website has never once shown any ads
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2012 18:14
Another handy bit of information: Get the update which is found on the Dark Basic Pro Forums near the top.

Have fun with DBP...

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
DB Classic would also work for management games. It's slightly better for 2D. So you can use either.

Doveyy04
Years of Service
User Offline
i thought about getting dark basic classic but I have windows Vista....is it easy to get it and your published programs to work on vista/7 ? also what is darkbasic electronic? as when i look for dark basic classic it comes up with that
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2012 23:07
If you don't need graphics, you could prolly get away with anything, even QB64. However, DarkBasic is definitely one of the most easy languages out there and it's a good thing to learn as it opens up the possibility of making more graphical games in the future.

That said, if you are only interested in a "xxx Manager" type game, may I suggest having a look into AGK:
http://www.appgamekit.com/
That way you could develop for the mobile platform too and let's face it, without flashy graphics and amazing 3D cut-scenes, a manager-style game just doesn't have much marketability on PCs. However, the mobile market is just flourishing with "low-spec" games (Although I've seen some pretty amazing things on iPhone). In any event, AppGameKit lets you dev for PC/Mobile/Tablet so you're getting more flexibility. AppGameKit, what I've seen of the example codes, is extremely basic and easy to pick up.

Doveyy04
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmm sounds interesting nonzero, is it basic language and do I need a mac to put it on an iPhone?
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2012 21:36 Edited at: 1st May 2012 21:39
Quote: "is it basic language"

Yes, AppGameKit is a basic language.

Quote: "do I need a mac to put it on an iPhone?"

Nope. From the AppGameKit info page:

Quote: "Other devices like an iPhone or tablets can also pick up and run the game once the compilation is completed. Any devices that you want to do this will need to be running the "AGK Player" App. This app is available from each appropriate app store as a free download. Check the box on the right to download them."

found at: http://www.appgamekit.com/basic.php

Have a read through the page above, it explains it in more detail. AppGameKit is a TGC product too by the way.

[EDIT]
Here's some more in-depth on features: http://www.appgamekit.com/platforms-and-features.php
[/EDIT]

Doveyy04
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the help nonzero, what if I wrote a program on darkbasic pro would I have to re-write it all on the appkit program or could it be easily converted to it then start with the process of testing it on iPhone etc
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2012 21:27 Edited at: 2nd May 2012 21:36
Quote: "would I have to re-write it all on the appkit"

Yes, however...

Quote: "could it be easily converted to it"

Fairly easily converted on a coding level since the structure and core are the same basically. The functions/commands/keywords are a little different since AppGameKit is geared towards multiple platforms. I grabbed this example off of CodeBase and just formatted the type...endtype for readability but apart from that, it's intact:

Credits to Marl

As you can see, it's mostly like DBPro but for certain function names. The conversion would be dead-easy. Best thing to do is download the trial version of DBPro and AppGameKit and try it for yourself. Write a basic bouncing square or something and then see how easily it translates.

Doveyy04
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks again nonzero, went on agk trial version last night and yes it's almost same as Old Basic so am gonna use that, shame that agk hands in book is not out yet as the help guide within the agk program is really the old basic and doesn't fully work on agk player, can you suggest any help guides for agk or are they all Basic in which I would need to convert slightly to get it to work on agk
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2012 00:03
Quote: "can you suggest any help guides for agk"

The best thing I can suggest is to use your knowledge of programming and basic as a base and then just build on it by writing a couple of mini-apps. There's some tutorials here:
http://www.appgamekit.com/bitesize.php
but I dunno how much they cover (At a glance they seem pretty in-depth and the guy who wrote them knows what he's doing). Should be enough to get started in any case.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 03:24:38
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 03:24:38