Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / As of 107, I can no longer END a program, or even click the close window button

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2012 08:26
Anybody else seeing this?

Calling the END command or clicking the red x button on a window causes the program to be "not responding" instead of ending the program.
Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2012 09:00
Hmm interesting, I have not tried the END command but I can close out my apps just fine with the red x in the top right corner.
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2012 09:26
Quote: "Anybody else seeing this?"

Just tried it now and it's all in working order. Update(0)-Render()-Swap() used to crash my apps but it seems to be working now (due to 107). Try interchanging Sync() with the Update()-Render()-Swap() sequence. I doubt it'll change anything but could be worth a shot.

Also double check security, AV, admin privileges etc.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I got this when clicking the x in the right corner, but all seemed ok with the end command for me. My main issue is android has stopped working.

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2012 20:49
I'm only seeing the problem on my Vista machine, my XP machine will end without problems.

I'm thinking it's got something to do with Norton/SONAR anti-virus, since Norton on my Vista is always messing with stuff.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2012 22:03 Edited at: 2nd May 2012 22:03
If I run my game from the AppGameKit IDE, and I try to close it via the red X or by winning the game (which currently closes it) or selecting Exit from the initial menu, it gets hung. It is usually necessary to resort to TaskManager to kill the program.

If I run it by directly clicking on the built executable, there is no problem.

I am in Windows 7, 64bit.

I fully uninstalled 1065, deleted all but my project (deleted it's bytecode file and built executable), installed 107, cleaned my registry, rebooted.

Simple projects, like examples/general/core, do not have the same problem.

And examples/games/smackit worked okay.

But examples/games/snakesnacker exhibited the same behavior.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2012 00:14
Well, maybe it has something to do with Vista then, since the problem does not happen on my XP machine.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2012 00:36
Rich I am having no problems on either of my vista machines but I don't use Norton...

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2012 00:51
All the close and END functions are in the Core.cpp file in the app rather than the AppGameKit lib. Are yu using the Core.cpp file copied from the interpreter folder in the latest download?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2012 01:40
I'm working in Tier1.

If I build and then run the executable directly (not from the AppGameKit IDE), it works (I can end cleanly).

If I build and run from the AppGameKit IDE, then it hangs.

The program is running in directly Windows and not being sent to a remote device.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2012 06:14 Edited at: 3rd May 2012 06:28
I'm also in Tier 1, and I'm getting the same thing as Ancient Lady, using Compile Run and Broadcast, the close window button and the END command both cause the program to hang as not responding.

Using JUST the run button or running the executable outside of AppGameKit, and the close window and END commands work as expected.

Maybe something to do with the Broadcast part?

EDIT

Another odd thing...

When I delete the .exe and the .byc and all sourcecode files, then rebuild, the .exe file is dated 5/1/2012 at 3:44 pm. The other files, sourcecode and bytecode files, have the correct creation date/time.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2012 11:47 Edited at: 3rd May 2012 11:48
I just ran the following code and it worked as expected on my Vista machine. Also worked when I clicked the close button.

EDIT: Also this was using compile, run and broadcast

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2012 15:56
I don't do the broadcast command, just compile and run. (I test my iPad/iPod from my Mac-min using Xcode on the built bytecode file.)

Simple programs do not exhibit the problem.

The Projects/Examples/Games/SmackIt works fine.

But Projects/Examples/Games/SnakeSnacker exhibited the bad behavior.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2012 19:43
I just installed v1073 (after uninstalling, of course) and the problem with a program hanging when run from the IDE appears to have gone away.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2012 21:12 Edited at: 13th May 2012 21:14
Well, I'm still having the problem, and it's gotten a bit worse. Now it's taking several clicks on the close window button to get it to even crash with the error. The first few clicks do nothing.

But I'm happy to say that 1073 has fixed all the other problems I was having with sprite hits and ScreenToWorld, yay!

I've posted this issue and a few others with 1073 on the google board.

EDIT: By the way, Ancient Lady, thanks to your excellent instructions for the new Xcode I was finally able to build my latest game right to my iPad/iPod. Very cool!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2012 21:41
Always glad to be of help.

Until the problem this thread is based on gets fixed for you, try what I was doing when I had the problem:
1. Just compile in the IDE
2. Execute the results from the generated exe file

And the Windows Task Manager is your help when an app does hang.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2012 17:42
I just installed v1073 on my other Windows box (I have two) and it still exhibits the hang problem.

Now, if I could only figure out what the difference between the two is, then we might have a clue.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 20:03:11
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 20:03:11