Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Any way to host a Multiplayer game on a Linux server in console mode ?

Author
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2012 06:17
Is there a way to host a network game from a linux server in console mode ?

So, is there a way using Tier2 AppGameKit C++ library to create a server program and make it running on a linux server in "console mode" (with root access, obviously ?

I could try to reverse the AppGameKit multiplayer protocol (TCP) but i have no time to spend on this :p (or if you have some documentation on the Multiplayer TCP protocol used by AppGameKit ... i could create a C++ API for all C++ "compliant" operating systems including server boxes)
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2012 18:44
Hi Mike,
i already done this with a success.
But there is a problem, users must know which port to open for receiving or you need to poll the server port much times.
(One of my application, after 2000 download, none understand how to open ports on router, and this is a prob with own server multiplayer or AppGameKit Multiplayer).
So i switched to Game Center Multiplayer that use the peer-to-peer connection and it works good.
I think is better if the AppGameKit team try to do a integration of GameCenter.

iPhone/iPad Games : Street Karate Fighter - 90s VideoPokers Simulator - Arkanold
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
GameCenter is an iOS only thing. I think that TGC only want to put in multiplatform commands that work on all systems... what a pity
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2012 19:05
Ah, i understand what you mean.
If you need help ask.

iPhone/iPad Games : Street Karate Fighter - 90s VideoPokers Simulator - Arkanold
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2012 19:11 Edited at: 6th May 2012 19:12
Gekko, i want to host a multiplayer game on a server, not on device

I could use a windows server or a mac server, but i have only linux boxes and i don't want to virtualize windows box

So, is there a way to create a AppGameKit Multiplayer compatible server program on a linux machine (in console mode)?
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I suppose if you were skilled in some linux based programming language you might be able to. As long as it can communicate with AppGameKit via http. I have zero knowledge about this sort of stuff though, although it always interests me. I'm sure a linux based server, you could configure for different games would be of interest to quite a few people.

MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2012 04:20
Yes i will try to reverse-engineer the protocol... but if TGC could help me ...
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2012 05:36 Edited at: 8th May 2012 05:42
Ok, i have reversed the AppGameKit Multiplayer TCP Protocol (in its major part). TGC have done the things well so it was easy even without any documentation

I can now make my AppGameKit programs/games to communicate with my Linux Box in the cloud 24h a day at 100Mb/s in/out (really cool for creating a Online Multiplayer Server .. it's only TCP and not UDP but it will do the trick . With the latest commands for HTTP, coupled with this reversed code, it's now easy to balance players on several "public" servers and TCP ports

i need to reverse all the multiplayer commands and emulate them now
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2012 11:57
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2012 14:05 Edited at: 8th May 2012 14:11
Exactly Mike, i did the same thing in the past to use the multiplayer.
But, remember to notice to users to open ports or they will never connect (incoming).
This is the only bad part.

So you are using HTTP requests to permit the port avoiding?
Damned 107 that don't work for me. Uff!!!

iPhone/iPad Games/Apps : Street Karate Fighter - 90s VideoPokers Simulator - Ball VS Brick - CB RadioBox - Artic
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2012 14:17 Edited at: 8th May 2012 18:12
@Jerico : Thanks for the URL i have succeded the main part without specs but it will help me to clean my API

@GEKKO, why opening incoming ports ? The client (PC,iPhone etc) establishes the TCP connection TO the server (outcoming). Only broadcasting in UDP from the server could require to open ports on each clients. But i prefer to "broadcast" manually via TCP to already opened sockets (which is an outcoming connection or incoming but already established)

I have tried to communicate with my server on the internet behind ma DSL Router (none of my devices are declared as DMZ) and my PCs, my Mac, my iPhone, my Android Tablets are all connecting, receiving, and sending without any problem at the same time with a 50ms Latency (i can reduce but, as said in the AppGameKit documentation it's not really necessary

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 07:58:38
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 07:58:38