Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / side scroll help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I need help making a ground scroll when you walk back and forwards kinda like a fighting game street fighter, killer instinct and mortal kombat. i trying to create a fighting game and im having problems making the stage scroll
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2012 20:32
A little more information would help (Are you using sprites or 3D, for example), but the easiest way is the have ALL the entities get moved forward when the character moves back and back when the player moves forward. You can create a fake stationary area (like hte end of a map by making the level larger than the x bounds. Generally in 2D scrollers the player never actually moves.

Ramon156
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2012 15:50
Well for a 2D fighting game like mortal combat. I would have a big image/sprite that is the background, wich moves wherever you want.

Then calculate like my noobie way, how big BG_X and Y can be.
Print the variable to the screen and move it around with they keys to see how "far" it can go, write down and simply use "IF BG_X > 100 then BG_X = 100.

I hope it helps a bit. Ofcourse you need to make your own arrays/types/variables around this.
Mastas Inc
Years of Service
User Offline
im using sprites but i want to use sprites on 3d plains if posible as 3d seems like its easier to do. what im aiming for is a map kinda like killer instinct rooftop stages ex.Orchid, spinal and cinder stages in 3D arcade version. but i soon found out if you use sprites 3d dont work well with it. any help is needed. Not all stages will be in 3D, some stages will be in 2D as well.

@Ramon156
i did some stage image analyzing with Zsnes emulater and it has a feature where you can disable layers of images in the background. loaded up Killer instinct and disable them one by one and noticed that some stages like thunder bridge stage has a big image as a backdrop that scrolls when walking and the bridge moves more that the picture in the background. also in mortal kombat ultimate 3 theres a stage called rooftop that has three layers of images;one big piture in the background the doesnt scroll,the floor of the rooftop that does scroll and the rail of the building with the statues scroll with the floor. im aiming for this type of stage scrolling.
i will test this code snippet in the mean time to see how it works. if sucessful i will give credit to you and everyone in this forum upon creating the game. thanks
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2012 00:20
Kay, OP is still on moderation so I'm gonna reply to the post before it appears (I get email notification)....

Quote: "[I'm making my game with 3d planes...etc.]"

Then you dosn't have to worry about a thing. There's a command called "SET CAMERA TO FOLLOW" which allows you to have your character followed so scrolling is automatically handled. You can also use POSITION CAMERA (I prefer this for 2.5d games). The nice thing about 3d is placing your "layers" of background at the correct z-depth is all you have to do. Everything else is dine for you. In 3d you move/scroll the character, NOT the entities btw. There's lots of examples on this forum.

Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2012 11:46
Quote: "like thunder bridge stage has a big image as a backdrop that scrolls when walking and the bridge moves more that the picture in the background. "

I think it is called parallax scrolling.

The byte chrunchers are coming...
DIVIDING BY ZERO/BECAUSE WE SUCK...
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2012 12:12
I dug up some old code I posted on a thread relating to double jumping yonk ago. Anyway, you can apply it to a 3D plane scroller too. It's just some mechanics.

You are the ball. you can move with arrow keys and jump with space. I'm afraid I haven't editted it so it's more relevant to the thread I posted it on. Anyhow, it's been broken down a lot so you should be able to get something from it.

Mastas Inc
Years of Service
User Offline
i will check this out thanks i can use all the help i can get
Mastas Inc
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I think it is called parallax scrolling."

parallax scrolling? i will look into it please everyone keep the advice coming

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 06:36:04
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 06:36:04