Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Setscissor mini map demo (project)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2012 22:07 Edited at: 9th May 2012 22:07
For Baxslash - who first hinted at the possibility of this.

Basically you draw the screen as normal, then zoom out so that your entire world fits into a small portion of the screen and then you redraw that portion.

To do this demo, I had to put a load of stuff in which is nothing to do with the mechanics, but needed to show the effect.

Comments will show you the way.

No media required.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
you Marl, always with great examples!
Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2012 22:16 Edited at: 9th May 2012 22:17
And here is the project for those who can't work the clipboard

The demo has orientation detection and adjusts for changes.

... and now we get to the nub of it.

There appears to be a bug in the routine and the real reason for this project is to try to identify if this is general or platform specific.

I only have Android to test it.

The demo includes a flashing sprite, which should always be hidden by the mini-map.

On my phone, when I switch to landscape the mini-map disappears and the flashing sprite is clearly visible.

Could someone please test this on other formats and report what you find.

I don't think the problem is in my code, I use the same coordinates for the sprite as I do for the map.

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2012 08:33 Edited at: 10th May 2012 17:02
Nice work marl

EDIT: Now if only there was a version that rotated around the player position as he moved and only showed a small area around the player in a circular window... like GTA4

...and yes it is possible. I just haven't finished coding an example... yet!

Attachments

Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2012 18:35
Quote: "...and yes it is possible. I just haven't finished coding an example... yet!"

Anything is possible - except perhaps a UK budget where we don't get stiffed over booze and fags.

Did you see my comments about the possible bug? I have posted this on the Bug board (Issue 301).

Have you encountered this?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2012 18:41 Edited at: 10th May 2012 19:02
Quote: "Anything is possible - except perhaps a UK budget where we don't get stiffed over booze and fags."

Luckily I managed to quit the fags (cigarettes to our cousins across the pond) but the tax on booze I can just about handle. The tax on fuel I cannot... thinking about buying a bike!

Quote: "Did you see my comments about the possible bug? I have posted this on the Bug board (Issue 301)."

I'll take a look and let you know what I can see from your code. If that doesn't shed any light I can test on playbook and ipod touch.

EDIT: Code seems fine. I tested it on the PC by creating my own function for getOrientation like this

Everything works as expected and no flashing sprite visible. I'll try it on iOS and Blackberry PlayBook tonight if I get the chance. I would say the code looks OK though...

Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2012 23:46
Quote: "There appears to be a bug in the routine"

This was fixed in 1075

Bug report 301 can be closed on the bug board

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 00:27:20
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 00:27:20