Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Whats the best way to use AGK? Tier 1 or tier 2? Windows or Mac?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2012 00:07
I've finally got some time on my hands and can get back to developing my own games. So, AppGameKit is about to get some use but I'm wondering how best to develop using AGK.

I plan on using AppGameKit to develop primarily for iDevices and I am a paid-up Apple developer. I have an iMac and a PC and I am equally comfortable with BASIC or C++ so my questions:
Should I use Tier 1 or 2 and should I develop on the Mac or PC and can I even write AppGameKit code on the Mac?

Thanks
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Use T2. You will get all the debugging tools you need + can add native functions that are not yet supported by AGK.

You can write C++ AppGameKit code in Xcode on Mac or in VisualStudio on Windows.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2012 00:35
Using Xcode was the missing link. I was wondering how I would use AppGameKit on a Mac.
Thanks
ThrOtherJoJo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2012 01:37 Edited at: 15th May 2012 01:41
Quote: "Using Xcode was the missing link. I was wondering how I would use AppGameKit on a Mac.
Thanks "

Look in the AppGameKit Help, there is some stuff to get you started.
Also what help me is to download Xcode, read the user guide and play around it.

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/ToolsLanguages/Conceptual/Xcode4UserGuide/Introduction/Introduction.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40010215
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2012 03:59
When Tier 2 will be able to make an equivalent of broadcasting applications to multiple platforms (ios, android, windows, mac) it will be very cool (but due to native way .. i think it's not really possible without an interpreter lol)...

For the moment only the AppGameKit IDE, in Tier1 is able to make me testing instantly on all platforms at the same time (really a need for coding a multiplayer game)
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2012 04:06 Edited at: 15th May 2012 04:07
Yeah tier 1 does have it's advantages over tier 2, but it really depends what you are comfortable with. I personally like the ability to test on my netbook, pc and android all in one fell swoop. If I had bada, iphone and such it would be even more useful.
If you can use both, as you say, I would do just that, and use both. Anything that is just a simple (or relatively so) game you can knock up easily in tier 1. If you are planning to do something a little different, that could perhaps take advantage of a particular phone specific function, then tier 2 is the way to go.

tornado
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2012 09:56 Edited at: 15th May 2012 09:57
Quote: ""Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat."
(c) Lewis Carroll

IMHO if you are familiar with C++ means you can start directly with T2 (I consider it's the best option for iDevices). But for those who start with BASIC, T1 seems to be a good transition with its simplicity and C-like-structures

Have a good time programming

never give up
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2012 13:38
I am a massive fan of Tier 1 and use it almost exclusively but in your case I would guess Tier 2 might be a better move, mainly because you are already familiar with it and are looking to develop for iDevices only.

It is possible to test easily on your devices using the broadcast feature in Tier 1 though so perhaps have a play in Tier 1 to get used to the commands. Once you get the hang of them you might find it easier still to move to Tier 2.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
in T2 Xcode you just have to press "compile & run" and have your code working on your idevice immediately with realtime debugging info
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2012 14:39
That sounds just as simple

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
the realtime debugging info is really helpful, i have spotted problematic code where my project was crashing in an instant many times. saves you a lot of time and banging your head on the wall and i don't have to complain to TGC to make a debugger!!!

now that i have gained some confidence with how agk commands work, i do 1 week of work in VisualStudio and test my game on iphone hardware in the weekends. all keeps running at 60fps! amazing!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 13:23:54
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 13:23:54