Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / v1074 installer does not work for a virgin installation

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2012 20:51
I have reported this issue in the google list, but I thought it might be worth its own thread, just in case someone has figured out a workaround.

While trying to help someone with an install problem, I just tried to do a fresh installation of 1074 (using one of my virtualised Windows 'boxes').

It installed fine and tried to start.

The error dialog had this to say:
Quote: ""codeblocks.exe has stopped working""

I was never asked for my serial code. Which might be what codeblocks is looking for?

I just tried using the 1074 installer on my travel laptop (Windows 7, might have had AppGameKit Trial installed and uninstalled). After installing, it complained about not finding the authentication file when the IDE tried to start.

When I used the 1074 exe to update an existing 1073 installation, it knew exactly where to put it and everything went smoothly.

So, while the 1074 installer (updater) is fine for people updating existing installations, it does not work for brand new ones.

And, AppGameKit does not show up in the installed programs list. This makes it impossible to automagically uninstall it.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I just downloaded the 1074 zip and unarchived it on c: program files and all worked fine!

Thanks for offering an installer-less option!!!!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2012 21:16
Yes, but you had a previous version of AppGameKit installed.

On the machine I had AppGameKit already installed on, the installer worked just fine and I bet the zip would, too.

This thread is about people who have just purchased AppGameKit for the very first time and their only download option is 1074. And it's about the 1074 installer exe, not the zip file.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, there are older versions available for download. I doubt new users would not have this option. So they could install 1065 first possibly for now.
I'm not sure about the zip file. I would imagine it is fairly self contained. I downloaded that and currently have the old 1.073 and 1074 installed with no apparent problems. I'll bet if I transfer it to my netbook, it could sit alongside the 1065 on there, and run fine.
I've not tried on a system without AppGameKit installed though. Still, it needs fixing if there is a problem, the landscape android player refuses to install for me also, but the fixes seem to be coming thick and fast at the minute, so probably won't tale long for both issues to be fixed.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2012 23:27
The new user I was helping (and who is still stuck) does not have the old downloads available in any obvious place.

Where would you find them?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2012 00:16
AGK really doesn't need much installation. I have loads of versions in different folders. I have a selection of rather prim AppGameKit virgin computers here and I'll give this a test tomorrow.

-- Jim
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
In my product history I have several versions to download, including a legacy 1065 installer. I would imagine everyone has the same files available there.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2012 01:05 Edited at: 17th May 2012 01:05
Quote: "AGK really doesn't need much installation."

True, but somewhere along the line you have to insert a serial code and some sort of file with it gets created, or it ends up in the registry.

Using the 1074 installer in a clean system does not do whatever is needed for the AppGameKit IDE to start and recognize stuff. The codebase error appears to be the key.

Quote: "In my product history I have several versions to download"

I cannot find a product history page. I have 'My Products' (which only shows most recent one) and 'Order History' (which doesn't have links).

And, if I had never ordered AppGameKit before, I wouldn't have a any product history (if I could find such a page) to go to.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2012 01:05
Oops, well spotted. I will make a quick update to the installer file on the server to correct this. Thanks for the deep test! The fix is to add your serial code to the AGK\IDE\Editor\uderdetails.ini before running the AGK.EXE and this will solve the codeblocks crash.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2012 01:17
I suppose you mean 'userdetails.ini'?

Okay. That worked in both the totally virgin machine and the one that had had AppGameKit trial installed/uninstalled.

Interestingly, on my 'working' installation, the serialcode in the userdetails.ini file is 'AGK1'.

So, I suspect the data gets stored somewhere.

Still, the AppGameKit app does not show up in the 'Programs and Features' list on Windows. But, I suppose uninstalling is just deleting the directory.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2012 01:20
Yes indeed, all the installer does is a glorified file copier and adds a path to the registry, which is all the new one does. The path helps the IDE to know where the compiler is located by default. I never cared for uninstallers as they often got in the way of updating half the time, and MSI doubly so.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2012 01:48
If the new one adds an entry to the registry, there should be a way to remove it if AppGameKit gets uninstalled.

If the registry entry is specific to version, this is especially important.

Microsoft is the world's worst offender about leaving orphaned registry entries.

I regularly run a tool to clean obsolete or invalid entries from my registry to try to keep it clean.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2012 18:30
I'm currently looking at the NSIS site. Very cool!

And it appears to support an uninstall option. This would be perfect for doing the registry cleanup.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 22:12
I had not anticipated anyone uninstalling AppGameKit If you would like to add it to the Issues Board, I can factor this in for build 108. An uninstall is not a problem (done a few of them now), and it's good practise as well.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 22:54
Done.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 12:11:53
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 12:11:53