Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / New android player runs faster in portrait mode then landscape?

Author
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2012 11:49
I write my apps to run in the wider landscape mode and noticed this by mistake when i whas quitting the agk android player.
I pressed the quit button in the top right corner and it shifted the player to portrait.
And then i started my app agin and it runs at an 1/3 higher framerate?
There must be somekind of bugg if the player dont get the command by the app it self to shift to landscape.

I tested this many times and its the same weird bugg in the player.

Have anyone else noticed this?
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2012 14:03
I found the BUGG!

After few experiments so did i find that you nead to uninstall the player from your phone!
Then reinstall it again from market
Seams like the update leaves junk files or something from the old player version?

After i did this so does it run perfectly so far

Maybe something tgc should look in to ?
Could be goggles problems to with there update function?
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2012 21:09 Edited at: 17th May 2012 21:36
Really? I updated mine it seems ok, but I am having orientation problems with ads still, and horrible text dissapearing problems when going into the menu a after the first time! I will uninstall it and install from scratch see if that is better.

Edit I have uninstalled and reinstalled off the store, but unfortunately it still seems the same. The test input screen seems to work better now, although it still runs in portrait mode all the time. But I still get advert clicks when attempting to start the game, and the options text is still disappearing from view on end game for some reason. It only does it on android, the PC runs with no issues at all. So I guess the player needs more tweaking.
I also have a 1065 native compile version on to compare against. The text vanishes on that version also. It is set to fixed to screen and works fine first time around.

MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 00:06
The Android AppGameKit Player can't run as it is in landscape in versions 107x.

I'm sure it was working well in versions 106x (as the iOS player still does). i was able to rotate in live with auto resize.

what's happened ???
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Are you using the one off here or the one on the android store? The android store one was more up to date when I checked last, but has the bugs I mentioned above. My apps are landscape anyway, so have not been affected otherwise.

MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 02:46
i just tried to install the goole play version on my android 3.2 tablet. Orientation is working well

but on my phone qandroid 2.3
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 02:51
I've added a beta player to the product page, how does that one perform?

If it works then as a bonus this version is a native orientation app which means it can do both true landscape and true portrait from the same app.
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 03:06
ok i have reproduced the problem.

I need to broadcast one time and exit a program to have the android AppGameKit player to rotate correctly after (the google plya version may 15th)

Another bug :

the SendNetworkMessage doesn't work at all for me on Android AppGameKit player. Works well with iOS Player and Windows. i've tested with an AppGameKit host and with my linux Host. i can just connect to host (and host see the player has joined) but i can't send message after that the msg ID 7 is sent anyway at regular frequency
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 03:06
Ok Paul, i'm trying it now !
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 03:16 Edited at: 18th May 2012 03:24
LOL i have a big button "OK" in foreground of the AppGameKit Player but the orientation problem is still there. now i have a landscape view in portrait ... and it doesn't rotate at all

Paul, the google play version is working well for orientation. The problem, as i said, is that it seems the player need to have a first time to broadcast to rotate well after the broadcasted app has cleanly quit. After that i can broadcast several times and rotate the player itself (even without launching any app) and it's ok.

Try to see also for the SendNetworkMessage function which is broken in the google play version

EDIT : your beta player doesn't seem to ask for calibration (i delete the entire AppGameKit folder before uninstall and reinstall to have each version clean)
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 04:43
I've updated the beta version download, can you let me know if you still have problems with orientation.

I tested the network message commands on the Xoom tablet and couldn't see any problems.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
For some reason the adverts do not seem to show with the beta player on the site. It no longer starts an ad up when I click the top right corner, but you can't see it at the bottom either.

MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 05:37 Edited at: 18th May 2012 05:48
Paul, you're right on one thing... Network commands are working ... BUT i was sending at a chosen frequency using the GetMilliseconds() command ... which returns "0" on the android player ... that's why i guessed it was a network command issue but no .. it is a GetMilliseconds command issue.... (for me on two different android devices...)

EDIT : Orientation seems to feel better .. sometimes the AppGameKit Player Waiting screen does some strange things but when the app starts the orientation is OK (portrait and landscape)
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
My hidden text is also not down to the text commands. I guessed there might be another culprit. The getmusicplaying() command seemed to fail to register on the android, causing my code not to be run. As soon as I replace it with a flag it works okay again.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 17:03
Quote: "I need to broadcast one time and exit a program to have the android AppGameKit player to rotate correctly after (the google plya version may 15th)"

A similar problem i had !
But i had to force it in to portrait and then start my app that is in landscape

But after i uninstalled it like this!

Started android market.

Selected installed apps.

Selected the agk player.

Then pressed the uninstal button there.

And then reinstalled it so is it so far working all right for me.

I never tested to only uninstal on my phone but did it thru goggle market.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 17:19
Quote: "it is a GetMilliseconds command issue"

I've uploaded a new beta player with a working millisecond timer, I've also changed a few more things in the rotation code so let me know if the "strange things" fixed themselves

Quote: "The getmusicplaying() command seemed to fail to register on the android"

I tried playing a single music track and GetMusicPlaying() returned the ID of the track playing on my tablet. Does this command fail for you even in a basic example?
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 19:24 Edited at: 18th May 2012 19:26
I hadn't tried, but here you go. This runs fine on the PC, but fails to play more than once on the android.

I will double check I have the latest player now also lol! Been updated a few times of late!

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 20:36
The player shows an failed to create sound player error every time for me but it still plays the sounds?
Its the goggle market player that is
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 21:10 Edited at: 18th May 2012 21:11
Paul, what i see in your latest beta version :

-i start in portrait and rotate multiple times : AppGameKit Splashscreen rotates well at good dimensions.

- i start in portrait (and keep this orientation) and load a game : everything ok
- i start in landscape (and keep this orientation) and load a game : everything ok

- i start in portrait and load a game, still ok.. then i rotate to landscape .. => game is not rotating well(the same from landscape to portrait). this was working well the second time in google play version after an app Load&Quit.

- i start the player , load a game and quit game to the splashscreen : after that the splashscreen doesn't rotate well ...

There is a bug now with rotating the device "in game".

I have to tell that i use a virtual resolution (480,320) without any rotation restriction in code.

For the GetMilliseconds command, it's now ok
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2012 01:54
Quote: "The player shows an failed to create sound player error every time for me"

Can you remember the exact error? Then I'll know which bit of code is generating it.

Quote: " i start in portrait and load a game, still ok.. then i rotate to landscape .. => game is not rotating well"

Can you try the version I just uploaded and tell me if it is still happening, and if so what it looks like when rotated? Is it possible to take a screenshot in Android?
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2012 04:18
Yes paul i will take screenshots
At this time i'm in an airport waiting for my plane

I will download your latest version and capture it as soon as possible
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2012 10:37 Edited at: 19th May 2012 10:39
Quote: "Can you remember the exact error? Then I'll know which bit of code is generating it."

Its actually audio player the error states
I dont get an error code or anything and it dosent affect the app?
Everyting works but when i exit my app back to the player so is there an message that states failed to create audio player,that then switches to another message stating failed to connect to server ip.

But everything works

I could send you the app that is causing it so you could try it?
But your eyes only as its my entry to the snake snacker competition
Give me an email and i will send it
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Paul, did you test my snippet on an android? I assume any mp3 files will do to test it. I too have seen the same error Cliff mentions, it has always had some little odd message on exit, but I have never really worried about it as long as the app was running ok.
On my android that snippet worked perfectly for the first sound, but after that it doesn't stop and replay or change the track after the timer wait. ON PC it works fine.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2012 01:47 Edited at: 22nd May 2012 01:47
Quote: "On my android that snippet worked perfectly for the first sound, but after that it doesn't stop and replay or change the track after the timer wait"

Looks like StopMusic was stopping ok but forgot to reset the currently playing ID, so the GetMusicPlaying never went back to zero, it will be fixed in the next version, and I may upload a beta player before then.

Quote: "Everyting works but when i exit my app back to the player so is there an message that states failed to create audio player"

I just got this error as well in a game I'm testing, it came from android rejecting the wav file because it was using 96KHz sampling which my tablet didn't support. It won't affect the app but it means that sound wasn't played
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice one. I have worked around the problem in my compo entry now, but good for future use. I like to use the music switch sometimes, rather than declaring an extra flag.
Only other main issues I have left are the text entry, it seems in landscape mode but still orientated to portrait, so I get half a text box at the top middle of the screen. Also the ads are similar, they position correctly, but still click as if they were positioned in portrait.
Great job on killing the bugs so far!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 10:39:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 10:39:52