Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Animation stream.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
there is a way to stream animation files instead then load all in memory ? my game has a lot of animation frames and i would like to know if there is a way to stream because i can't use a single texture so i have all separate files 1 for each frame and i load them at the beginning but would be good to know if there is a way to stream.

I have tried this:

check exists -> if yes delete the old image and load new if not load new one
update the sprite with a new image

the check , delete and load seem to be slow on device, there is another way to do not load all frames in memory ?

Thanks.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 23:12
No, streaming in this way is not currently possible. Perhaps there's another way to save memory though. Just how much are you loading and when is it needed?

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
perhaps multithread loading would work here
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 23:52
It would be so cool !!!!!!!
basjak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2012 00:01 Edited at: 19th May 2012 03:13
Would image masking be helpful for you but the problem is you can't do animation with It. Or one idea is to make the sprites images with light colours then color specific sprite with a specific color. Or for example you can attach different hair to different sprites so they look different but in fact are using the same image.....

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
or use Spriter to build complex character animations using static body parts!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2012 00:58
or use my character workshop when I finish it

It's a character animation system in the early stages. I won't make any wild promises but the idea is it will be possible to export an animated character that can also be turned into a box2d ragdoll at any stage.

This "Character Workshop" will be free and open source too

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Baxslash you're always making the best & most useful AppGameKit tools!!!
7RS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2012 18:39 Edited at: 19th May 2012 18:41
@Baxslash:
your tool seem to be very promising, similar to spriter. Nice job.

@bjadams
you made a multithread function with agk to work also on devices ?

Our game is complex, it was originally designed for 3D on 3DS but considering the market of it at the moment we decided to render all parts and use it as 2d with AGK. The main character has a lot of animation frames and isn't easy to cut some of them because we would like to have as much quality as possible. But it really take a lot of memory and we really worry it won't run in all devices.

Attached there is a screen image of the game.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
i did not experiment with multithread on AppGameKit yet.

I used multithreading on DarkGDK for uninterrupted asset loading.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
7RS pre-rendered sprites are not the best option for this type of game. its not just the main character but also end of level bosses, enemies... it's too much!

You need to use a system like Spriter or something like the Baxslash editor, for realtime generation of animations
7RS
Years of Service
User Offline
The problem, unfortunately, is simple. The spriter isn't available yet and to use it we must make everything from 0 and the time at the moment doesn't help. We are trying to make also some other games a bit more simple to make us gain time and at the same time trying to not lose so much money. We are also thinking to way the version of AppGameKit that support 3d objects but i doubt it will be ready in a short.

BJ if you or anyone found a way to load resources or sprite frames in a quick way i'm happy to get help.

Thanks.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
7RS whilst I understand your situation, you have to plan well when it comes to game project.

Also 3D AppGameKit will be available around the end of the year.

Right now there are not many options for you, you have to use spritesheets and minimise the animation frames.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2012 10:45
I'm aiming to have a simple working version of my character workshop by next weekend. I'll let you know when it's ready with a new thread on this forum.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 08:00:13
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 08:00:13