Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Default/Default Portrait.png in iOSinterpreter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 22:34 Edited at: 18th May 2012 22:34
I've been preparing my project for iOS deployment and noticed these screens come up when starting the application with the AppGameKit screen by default.

I have already included a nicely done made with AppGameKit icon on my app loading page.

Is it required that we keep the default AppGameKit splash screens that are included with the iOS interpreter or may we change those?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 22:51
You can create your own splash screen. Do whatever you want, but name it AGKSplash.png.

If you don't include an AGKSplash.png file in the resources for an iOS app, you will get a white screen flash between the default image and the first sync() call after the game starts.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Grumpy Jedi
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "f you don't include an AGKSplash.png file in the resources for an iOS app, you will get a white screen flash between the default image and the first sync() call after the game starts.
"

Thanks for that tip Ancient Lady, I didn't realize that. I'll make sure to avoid giving my app users flash blindness
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Ancient Lady I used to get the white screen flash on ios.
Now I don't get it anymore even though I don't have the agksplash.png

I don't know if anything changed in 1074 on ios in this matter
Grumpy Jedi
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Ancient Lady I used to get the white screen flash on ios.
Now I don't get it anymore even though I don't have the agksplash.png"

I JUST did a test with 1074, the white flash does in fact show up without an AGKSplash.png present.

However, it also forces a three second pause if you include that file even if you only intend to blackout the screen by including a small black image.

My custom default/load splash screen is on a timed event and that extra three seconds of "dead air" cut into the display time of my actual screen, and forces the "three seconds of nothing", if that't not a coined term then I claim it now

In the end I've decided to leave out the AGKSplash.png and allow the 50ms white sync as opposed to the "three seconds of nothing" (see that? I'm getting mileage out of my new term already.).

Now if we had a way to specify the duration of the AGKSplash.png, then it would be a bit more versatile.

What I've done is use a small black square for the default.png and left the AGKSplash.png out of it. When my app starts it cuts to black for a moment (default.png), then a tiny white flash and brings up my black background photo-shopped splash/loading screen complete with "Made with AGK" logo.

The final effect looks good now and the quick white flash isn't bad enough to be annoying.

Hopefully anyone else wondering about this will find all the info they need in this thread
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2012 01:38
Sounds like a good candidate for a bug report in the Issues Board. What you are feature requesting is that if the splash file is missing, AppGameKit should perhaps clear the render buffer with BLACK instead of WHITE as as to allow better smoother transitions? (or find a way to avoid ALL render swaps until the first Sync() command, at which time you will have had a chance to load in and place a sprite/image). Thoughts welcome here too.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
Grumpy Jedi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2012 03:27 Edited at: 19th May 2012 03:32
Perhaps a command like this?

SetSplashColor(iR,iG,iB,fDuration)

iR - Red (defaults to 255) Sets the clear color for the background of the splash screen. if an AGKSplash.png is present in the media directory, this command will control the tint of the image.

iG - Green (defaults to 255) Sets the clear color for the background of the splash screen. if an AGKSplash.png is present in the media directory, this command will control the tint of the image.

iB - Blue (defaults to 255) Sets the clear color for the background of the splash screen. if an AGKSplash.png is present in the media directory, this command will control the tint of the image.

fDuration - The length of time the splash screen should be shown (defaults to 3). A setting of 0 will bypass the splash screen entirely preventing all render swaps until the program reaches the first Sync() command.

EDIT: I suppose you might want to break those up into SetSplashColor(iR,iG,iB) and SetSplashDuration(fDuration), but I just hate making extra work for anyone

There's my two cents
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2012 16:26 Edited at: 19th May 2012 16:29
A better option would be to remove the AGKsplash totally on IOS, as there is already default.png.

alternatively this option is a good compromise: find a way to avoid ALL render swaps until the first Sync() command, at which time you will have had a chance to load in and place a sprite/image

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 12:38:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 12:38:05