Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Is the trial version bugged?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2012 15:26
I've started working in AppGameKit trial version few days ago and had absolutely no problems with it until now.

I'm using 100% same source code every time and it behaves different each time I compile it.
Sometimes it displays an error that sprite doesn't exist when it does (and other times it works just fine with that sprite).
Sometimes it just crashes ("Program has stop working").
Sometimes when the close button is clicked on the window, program does not exit, it just deletes all sprites and continues to show text (program is still running, it's displaying current fps).

Is it the trial version that's messed up, or is it just me?
I don't see how can this last thing be my fault.

Thanks
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2012 15:39 Edited at: 14th Jun 2012 15:40
Try rebooting.

If you overflow an array or do wrong things with variables, wierd things can sometimes happen, check for any errors.

Thebeely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2012 16:15
Rebooted and it's still happening.

I've already checked my code for errors and I couldn't find anything.
Plus, yesterday it was working perfectly fine and I didn't change a single line in the meantime.

However, I did change resolution in "setup.agc", but I changed it back.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2012 16:46
If you could share your code, we might be able to help.

It sounds like the random errors seen in earlier versions of the full AGK. They were usually related to arrays and/or UDTs and some odd memory management.

Investing in the full version might make your problems go away.

I don't know it the demo version is kept up to date with the full release versions.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Thebeely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2012 17:02 Edited at: 14th Jun 2012 17:09
It seems I've located the problem and it is related to arrays and/or UDTs, but in the weirdest way.

When I use:
, everything is fine. It's NOT fine without that print.

Even if I use:
(without printing "i" variable), it's bugged (crashes, etc).

I've attached a screenshot. Note that array indices are ok and all the "Ammo[i,a].Active" are set to 0 before this.

[edit] Yeah, I am planning to buy the full version, but I'm broke atm, so I was going to finish this game while searching for money. It's not expensive, though, I might be able to dig up 60$, but summer is coming and I have bad summer-spending-drinking-parting habits

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2012 17:33
Yup, you got the old bug.

The current version seems much more stable.

Being the geek I am, I'm assuming the old problems had to do with the information about the structure of the UDT being scrambled or lost when used in arrays.

You can try this, it fixed my problem before they fixed the code:

The thing to remember is that, if you want to change values in the array, you need to use the array reference. The copied UDT is not a reference to the array entry and will not automatically update the array entry if changed (like you can do in Javascript).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Thebeely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2012 17:46
Thanks a lot

I'm probably going to buy AppGameKit before implementing that workaround in a 1000+ lines of code. Too bad it's that bugged, I was really looking forward to finishing a game next week :/

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 18:30:30
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 18:30:30