Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / How soon the AGK will support VIDEO PLAYBACK?

Author
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2012 17:06
Hi there! Does anyone knows, how soon the AppGameKit will support VIDEO PLAYBACK?
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2012 18:24 Edited at: 11th Aug 2012 18:31
I don't think they will have video playback, Because of the html commands. If they do I don't think it is high priority. Since they do have html commands someone might write a tutorial of how to use videos with html commands.

They don't have many programmers working on agk at the moment.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
Alex_Peres
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2012 18:51
http://code.google.com/p/agk/issues/detail?id=262&start=100

They accept that! But when?????
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2012 20:46
Quote: "They don't have many programmers working on agk at the moment."

Who doesn't? TGC have several programmers working on AppGameKit constantly...

Video playback is not currently a high priority. Who knows what might come up that requires it though?

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2012 21:15
Quote: "TGC have several programmers working on AppGameKit constantly..."

They do? I thought it's just Lee + Paul (an army of two)

Follow me on twitter! @MotionStruct
Motion Struct blog
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes I thought it was mostly Paul working on the actual command set and Lee working on the T1 editor.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Video Playback has become obsolete these days.

Look at the top games, like Angry birds, they just do a link to a Youtube video. Embedding a large video in the app itself is not practical.

What I would like though is to see a browser-in-a-box, like Phonegap. This was we can put an HTML5 animated intro for our games, and cut scenes!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 12th Aug 2012 10:10
Hmm... I think video playback should be implemented... Be it mp4 or ogv... Just not that shoddy webm format... At least not until it catches up in quality... (I tried it yesterday... It got grainy artifects... ogv and mp4 however did not)

So yeah I really need Video Playback asap... I have a pending project until it is enabled... But I hope HTML5 is pushed forward asap...

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I bought AppGameKit for the HTML5 stuff, and typically it is still vapour ware (although it may be here soon). I think for app design, the lack of video playback is a major loss, as it stops AppGameKit being an app making language, and more just a games making language. For some simple apps it would be useful, especially if you can use youtube etc to use as a video repository.

I haven't played Angry Birds on a phone, but I would imagine the video still plays from within the game? Rather than swapping to a browser and then swapping back? If so playback support is still needed, regardless of where you retrieve the video.

Still until they have updated all currently supported devices with all the new commands, this is still low priority. In fact I think they need to improve the sound commands first also. Will we ever see ogg support for tier 1?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 12th Aug 2012 19:12
well i bloomin hope youtube is not a default option... as it would alienate a huge market...

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Check out Angry Birds... YES they link you to an external youtube video!
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2012 22:30
DVader - to make apps, use the platform SDKs. AppGameKit is precisely what it says - a games engine. Even Monkey, which does HTML5, does not support video.

-- Jim
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2012 19:25
The videos on all formats of angry birds I have is just a large static image scrolled across the screen slowly. (Android and WP7 version) Much like the intro video for The Legend Of Zelda: Windwaker did with it's parchment intro.

I live for video games! (And beers, and football, and cars!)
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2012 19:29
None static videos can be emulated by manipulating sprites very easily. They use very little memory too.

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry, I meant Angry Birds SPACE
7RS
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "None static videos can be emulated by manipulating sprites very easily. They use very little memory too."

What you mean ? our company logo is animated with a 3d animation sequence rendered from high poly models, is hard to make it with sprites and also with the 3d support if we won't go in low poly.

3D video playback is very useful for many things also if you would like to make an interactive game made with video sequences

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 00:01:12
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 00:01:12