Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / which 3D file format should I work on for future agk?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2012 15:31
Hello, before I say anything I did read the post for 3D file exporter up above. I was just wondering what program to start 3D modeling with? Should I do ac3d? or 3DS? Of course I would think that there would be a converter for 3ds files to agk 3D files sooner or later. Thank you for your help

sov the game creator!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2012 15:44 Edited at: 15th Aug 2012 16:13
I can't say for certain but it will depend on whether you want to have animated characters to some extent. There are converters between most of the common formats and I hope will support conversion from ".x", ".3ds", ".obj" at least.

I will try to get further information from Lee as I believe he's working on 3D...

EDIT: Lee's answer...
Quote: "
Hi Steve,

We are currently using OBJ as a no frills basic loader, but the plan is to support our own proprietary format to keep the engine lightweight and solid. We will then produce a compile side converter/exporter to move popular formats into our own format. For day one compatibility though I suggest they look at OBJ format.

Best Regards,
Lee.
"

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2012 16:21
Paul has just added some details for none animated objects in the proprietary format here: 3D file format thread

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 15th Aug 2012 21:52
That is interesting to know... Thanks Bax!

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2012 18:48
I'm going to work on a Milkshape3d exporter. I don't know if I will get around to it yet but probably.

Milkshape seems like the perfect partner for AppGameKit because most AppGameKit games will require very simple models due to the hardware that will be running. Milkshape is exceptionally useful for making low poly models.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
How about Blender?
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2012 06:17
I'm going to work on a python script for a conversion utility. It'll probably support MS3D, X, and OBJ(though AppGameKit supports OBJ anyways). Should be a good learning experience.

sovr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2012 19:53
well thank you everyone for posting I guess I will start working on some .x 3D object files since it sounds to be more secure then .3DS.

sov the game creator!
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2012 20:17 Edited at: 18th Aug 2012 20:27
I need help with my 3d portion of my program that involves 3d object movement and treats objects like sprites my in 2d program. I do have a buggy version 3d version of it of the 2d program, but need some experience programmers to help me finish it, because I will be going back to school. I have 3d in my program but it is hard to rotate things around using the keyboard that is the only way that I know that will be easy. Be warned the code I am working with is quite long and there is a-lot of mfc. This is a hard engine to develop, mainly because of undo, importing, and exporting. I been having a hard time also converting the code to 32 bit. I got it too export in 2d should not be that different in 3d.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 00:29:30
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 00:29:30