Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK Player update for Blackberry Playbook

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2012 05:32
My Playbook has an old AppGameKit Player installed. I'd like to know how to proceed to create a new player. Does the Playbook_Tier_1_and_2.zip has the updated code and instructions?

Thanks in advance

Paulo

----------
Paulo
http://www.mobilecreators.com
MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 02:25
I tried to compile the code and deploy to my Playbook. After fixing few settings I was able to compile using NDK 2.1 and deploy the player.

The problem is that I can't send any basic game properly. The player keeps telling me I should update.

Looking at the libs folder, the libAGKBlackberry.a is from February, and OpenAL from November of 2011.

Shouldn't this library be update every new release?

How to proceed?

Thanks

----------
Paulo
MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 04:27
Yes. I confirm the library is old. I managed to fake the player version, and now I get errors saying about unknown commands.

Hey, TGC could you please provide an updated library for Blackberry Playbook? Or is it already somewhere I cannot find?

Thanks

Paulo

----------
Paulo
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 04:58
It really is necessary to use at least the same majorish version (106, 107) for both the player and the AppGameKit IDE.

And you really should use the exact same version, because of fixes in the minorish version.

Somewhere down the road, they will bring the Blackberry code up to speed. I just don't know when. (I am not in any way an official for TGC or AppGameKit, just a volunteer.)

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 07:52
Straight from the AppGameKit site:
Quote: "
The current road map for 2012 is as follows;

The core platforms PC, Mac, iOS and Android will be updated with:

A full 3D engine
Drawing commands (dot, line, box, ellipse)

After those platforms we will update the other platforms to bring them up to the same level.
"

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 16:09
But when is 'After'?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 16:26
At least we know that it will be after the 3D commands have been released.

MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 16:29
Hey guys, thanks for the answer.

I believe the roadmap refers to the next major update. That I can understand having different release dates for different platforms, but I believe the current released version should already support the platforms listed on the same page of the roadmap, no?

I emailed Paul asking about it. I'll update here when I get an answer....

Thanks

----------
Paulo
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I was under the impression they would update the other devices after they had ironed out the bugs in 1076. If they are waiting until after they have implemented 3D, and got that stable it could be a long time!
I have been expecting to see an update near the end of this month/September. However maybe they have decided 3D needs to be put in first? It makes me wonder if they are pushing ahead with 3D first to get some extra cash off us. I must admit to being a little disappointed at the platform list at the moment, considering bada and playbook are both left out of the last few updates. I really think they should update the supported platforms up to the latest version, before they consider releasing 3D.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 16:58
MobileCreator, they haven't kept Blackberry up to date since v1065.

v107+ supports Windows, Android, Apple (iOS, Mac) only, sorry.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 17:01
Bada and Playbook are dead ducks. Waste of time, IMHO.

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 17:17
Jim

you're right about Bada, but mistaken about Playbook. I bet indy developers can make more money on Blackberry platform than on iOS and Android combined (unless you have a blockbuster, of course).

Although I understand the reasons behind this lack of updates, from a customer perspective, AppGameKit is selling something that it actually doesn't do.

Regards

----------
Paulo
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 17:42
Quote: "Bada and Playbook are dead ducks. Waste of time, IMHO."

I'm running the beta of the next Playbook OS update, Android support is far superior. If AppGameKit exported PB-compatible Android code then it would make life so much easier for developers and hopefully TGC.

I tried converting an AppGameKit Android app (1076) to a Playbook package and it failed in the current PB OS.

MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 17:58
BatVink,

I believe this will never happen. Playbook's Android support works as long as it is a Java application - there is no support for native android applications, which AppGameKit is.

Cheers

----------
Paulo
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 20:04
According to the Gamasutra news letter I received five minutes ago, sales of the PS Vita are terrible (440k last quarter). Sales of Playbook have been even appalling.

Funny old world!

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Release an app for android. Check the sales.
Release same app for playbook. check the sales.

even though it sounds impossible, the playbook app brings more income than the android version!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
3D will be a paid upgrade and optional.

so it makes no sense to wait for 3d to release a new AppGameKit update. 2d still needs tweaking and fixing to become stable and solid.

plus some people will not buy the 3d update.

if i understood right from the last newsletter, there will be some kind of news or updated version in september.
MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 23:33
I have no interest on 3D features whatsoever, and the uneven support for claimed platforms makes me less confident in the future of the tool.

For now, I'll try to work with AppGameKit 165 and see how it goes.

Cheers

----------
Paulo
polomint
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2012 08:58
I bought AppGameKit for PlayBook support and have not touched AppGameKit for ages due to the lack of a PB update. I've started learning to develop for the PB natively (not nice heh). I paid for something that I've spent less than a day using (not happy),

Oh well. I doubt I will be buying any updates to AppGameKit again,

Blackberry App Development & ZX Spectrum Game Development.
MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2012 15:53
polomint, if you're going Native, you should check Gameplay3d, cocos2dx or Marmalade SDK.

it is a bummer because I love working with BASIC, and I like TGC tools a lot. I'll keep using AppGameKit for this small project and see what the next updates will bring to the table.

Cheers

----------
Paulo
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
The most annoying thing for me is not that there might never be proper playbook support, but that there is no definitive yes or no from the developers.

i mean, is there really a roadmap planned for agk? if yes, they surely know if they want to invest time in supporting playbook.

it would be ok if there is no agk playbook, as long as i know now, so that i can peruse other options.
polomint
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2012 16:33
yep bjadams, I was under the impression that PB support would be good, which is why I splashed out nearly 90 quid in all for AppGameKit, and now it just sits doing nothing.

Blackberry App Development & ZX Spectrum Game Development.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
luckily pb has native html5 support.
but i want to hear from tgc first before moving over my project to html5.
apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
The lack of the PB update has hurt sales of my game Neon Prime due to people waiting for me to add online scoreboards to the game before they would consider to buying it. Its frustrating because The PB version has sold more than double the iPad version but not enough to cover the cost of its development yet.

Also the lack of the ad support for PB isnt helping either. The download total of my free games on the device is well over 10,000 yet I cant make any money off them without ads.

Even though there are less PB's sold than Android, and IOS devices my games do far better on the PB due to the lack of real competition on that device. If you make a decent game people will buy/download it, and theres a good chance that blackberry sites will premote it like they did with Neon Prime.

With BlackBerry 10 devices coming out next year which AppGameKit PB games are already compatible with that makes it more worthwhile for the AppGameKit to update the PB version.

Right now my next T1 AppGameKit built game a 2D platformer called Zombie Hangover 82 is being built using AppGameKit 1065 so that I can get it out for the PB. That means that Im unable to use some newest features added to the AppGameKit (such as mode 7 effect) that I would want to add into the game.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2012 17:37
The advantage of releasing for smaller platforms is that it is a easier to get noticed. I would really like to release my game on PB when it is done.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a finished game for PB but did not release it as I am waiting for the ad commands, if the update ever comes out.

Knowing if PB will be supported or not in the future would make me move over to HTML5 so that I can redo the game. But not knowing is a big dilemma.

Apocolyp4, so will bb10 use the same OS as pb? that would be fantastic. even though many people have written of bb and marked it as dead, it's still a b level platform worth considering. whilst nokia has moved over to windows mobile, bb still stick with their own os.
apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
bjadams bb10 is not quite the same as PB, but all the PB apps are compatible with bb10. The PlayBook will also be getting bb10 sometime after the first set of bb10 mobile devices are released.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Apocolyp4, I agree from my limited experience that platforms aren't only as good as their user base count. On iphone I have a fair few downloads for Moon Snaker, yet Android, also having a large user base, has practically none by comparison. I am guessing Playbook, and even Bada, that everyone writes off, yet has a massive user base, and very few apps, would kill Android sales, or even free downloads. I only think android is supported because of user demand (including myself) here, rather than sales potential. Although with market awareness I'm sure Android could possibly do well. Of course so could most the rest.

MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2012 15:43 Edited at: 31st Aug 2012 15:44
DVader,

I agree when you say that the "core" platforms are driven by user demand.

After few days coding using 1065 I have few occasions where I think: "Oh, I could use this feature!" but then I realize it is not yet available on this version.

What I'd like to see if an "official" roadmap, with more details other than "sometime after" kind of thing. I know TGC is a small team, and AppGameKit is an enjoyable tool, but it is still a commercial product and we, as customers, would like to be treated as such.

I'd accept and understand the "core platform first" approach, but it is not what is happening - it is "core platform first and second and ..." approach. TGC released 1065 supporting them all, then it released 1076 supporting the core ones. The correct and fair would be release 1076 for all first, then make the major release for the core, and later update the non-core ones to that major release (or drop them altogether).

If it is not possible, it would be better to say "these xyz platforms are not supported anymore after 1065", or "...they will be supported with limited functionality and with best effort approach..."

It is a shame, because using Tier 1, testing with AppGameKit Player is the best and most enjoyable experience I have had...

Cheers

----------
Paulo
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Wise words mobilecreator.

all we need is just 1 line, of what is going to happen to platforms and dates when new versions are coming out.

all we get is what great features are being worked on, but without a roadmap and dates its impossible to plan
Jimmanator
Years of Service
User Offline
I would even be happy with a partial update for the playbook with like the scissor and draw sprite Commands.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
In the latest Ultrabook Blog, Lee mentions that Freedom Engine will be backward compatible with Playbook.

So maybe after all, they will release Playbook support one day!
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2012 18:02
so does this mean playbook users need to downgrade back to the original agk?

This is a load of crap! i dont even care if it doesnt support 3d yet! I just want to be able to test my blackberry playbook apps....

I have no desire to use ios or any other crap like android.

I guess im down grading.....

7RS
Years of Service
User Offline
To be honest i think the RIM Playbook is not dead, i see from their mailing list a lot of movement, they are trying to make as much as developers possible to move on their platform. They are making a lot of offers to make peoples develop on their machine.

We are ready to release a game on Mac OS and we are really thinking to port it on Playbook too before move to iOS and Android.

Our game is in T2 and i hope we can port it.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
They just released os 2.1

I am also waiting for AppGameKit for Playbook with Ads as i have a project ready, which I would like to release on this platform.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2012 02:18 Edited at: 15th Oct 2012 02:19
odly duplicated post.....hummm...

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2012 02:18
playbooks are selling like mad right now....

I have went to stores and waited a week for mine and have ordered 2 more for my family to use.... 150$cad for a 32gig... thats a steal of a bargin wich means that alot of people are going to have playbooks but we need more RIM developers indeed! i say let apple wait for there updates....they dont need any more support...

7RS
Years of Service
User Offline
We have 2 games released on Playbook with another SDK and both are selling not bad this is why i very hope AppGameKit do not cut the device.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Lee has said that after they finalise AppGameKit 108 they will do the playbook version
7RS
Years of Service
User Offline
Very Good news.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 17:49:06
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 17:49:06