Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Some questions!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2012 02:12
Hi all!, I am out from DarkBasic world from 2 years but now I see the AppGameKit app kit and I would to know some info to back to the keyboard!

Let's start:

1) The programming languages commands and logic are the same of the "dark basic professional"?
If not so what are the major differences between these 2 languages commands and logic?

2) Is the 3D supported? If yes, what are the limits? (number of objects, cameras, effect, matrix ecc)

3) Are some 3D physic routines supported?

4) Can I test my project in my PC?

5) Are gyroscopic sensors supported to be used in the making of my app?

6) Is the touchscreen supported? And the different push forces of the touchscreen?

7) Can I find utilities similar to those that I used in the DarkBasicPro? (to create the 3D ground matrix, to make my 3D models and textures, to add physics effects etc)

8) Can I convert my DarkBasicPro games in AppGameKit language? If yes, what are the limits?

9) Can I use 3D sofwares as "3D Studio" to make my AppGameKit 3D objects?

Thank you very much for now, as I get a bit of available time I will read many of the forum thread but since now I would just to get some "start up" informations
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2012 02:57
1) The commands and functionality are very similar, especially if you've used the Box2D plugin with DBPro. AppGameKit can work more like an object orientated language though... For instance you can use variables when creating a sprite:
DBPro:
Sprite spr,x,y,img
AGK:
CreateSprite(spr,img)
or
spr=CreateSprite(img)

If statements are not quite the same in AppGameKit, you can't have more than one result, like:
DBPro:
If a=b then c=d : e=f

That wouldn't work in AppGameKit, personally I think AppGameKit Basic is leaning more towards C than DBPro is, just slightly.

2) Yes. But it's early days yet - the example provided of a FPS level is pretty cool and shows promise, but I don't think physics are included yet - it's more like a variation of Sparky's collision DLL.

3) As above

4) Yes, it's the most straightforward way to develop, a tablet for instance is not necesserily required straight away, it depends on what your project needs I guess.

5) Yes, but device dependant, I think some devices have much better accelerometer support than others, sensors too, all the fancy stuff that Lee's been working on.

6) Yes, not sure if multi-touch is supported though. I don't think pressure is supported, as I'm not sure if that's even common on devices yet, it's not on the iPad at least. The built in joystick and buttons do work with multi-touch as far as I know. Someone will know for sure.

7) People are working on all sorts of tools for AppGameKit, it just takes time - but there's some neat stuff happening already, like the animation rigging system, level editors, font converters etc. 3D is still early days, but the OBJ format is very common, and people will be able to adapt existing tools to use that format - so a matrix editor could just export the OBJ file instead. I don't think there are any built in matrix commands.

8) Not automatically, although I'm sure someone said they were working on a converter. Really it would be wiser to adapt the code, especially given the 2D camera which makes 2D scrolling a breeze, and the new 3D commands that aren't exactly familiar yet to most people.

9) Yes, most modelling packages should support the OBJ format, anything from the cheapest to the most rediculous, its very common, practically a standard export format, much like 3DS used to be.

I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more memes.
Alduce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2012 03:11 Edited at: 12th Oct 2012 03:12
Thank you so mutch Van B for answers! I think I will download the demo and I will to try to make some experiments too!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 01:26:02
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 01:26:02