Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / App testing across multiple devices before deployment

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2012 20:53
Hi everyone. I'm trying to get back in the swing of things as I'm going to have a few months off from work that I'll be focussing on developing a couple of apps. I love the AppGameKit and am excited to use it. I am, however, a little cautious to deploy an app built on this platform since I keep hearing and seeing bugs.

Unfortunately, this is more likely the issue with all of the nuances that come with an OS being ported to so many different devices where manufacturers have decided to toss in their own tweaks here and there.

We've got a really awesome community here on TGC and I'm thrilled that even though I've been away for a few months, I come back and see familiar faces still posting.

What I'd like to propose is creating a registry of people who are willing to use their devices to assist in testing apps prior to deployment. I know this is a sticky point because many are concerned about protecting their intellectual property.

I see a few options to overcome such fear:
1. Developers could submit a watered-down version of their app for testing (doesn't contain full levels, doesn't contain final media - images have ugly X's on them, something along those lines).

2. It could be a closed group of individuals who must sign a Non-disclosure agreement with the developer. This can get sticky with folks in different countries, so it is not optimal.

3. An honor system where if it is determined that one of the group steals an app idea that they will be shunned, banished, and given horrible reviews in the app markets.

In my opinion, #1 would be the optimal approach, while at the same time having an honor code that testers agree to.

Is anyone else interested in this? I understand it would be a risk, and maybe something that TGC doesn't want to be involved in. I look at it like this: I'd rather have a tested app available in the app store that I'm confident it works than be concerned with someone stealing it. Because if it is a good, interesting game, someone can steal it anyway. But if mine works and is available first on the market I have a better chance for success.

Currently I have 3 devices I'd be happy to test anyone's app on and I'd be happy to sign an NDA if they'd like. I'd really like to see the success of developers from here and I know many of us don't have the money to spend on companies that test apps.

If anyone is interested in joining a group like this please reply here and I'll start a google group for us to converse in further (unless TGC is glad to host us).

I have the following devices at my disposal:
Motorola Droid X (Android 2.3)
HTC Droid Incredible 2 (Android 2.3)
Nexus 7 (Android 4.1 - soon to be 4.2, I hope)

In February it is likely that I will have two, newer phones at my disposal.

Thanks!
-Sean Mann
Napland Games

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2012 22:15
This is a pretty good idea.

Since it really targets Android devices (and maybe Windows versions), if someone wants something tested on Androids, they only need to post the apk for the app. Since this needs to be created for publication, it can also be used for testing.

I'm already doing fun stuff like this as a Community Tester and am willing to test on my Androids:
Toshiba 7" Thrive (Android 3.2)
Nexus 7 (Android 4.1)

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2012 22:18 Edited at: 5th Nov 2012 22:19
The best method would be an sticky thread where people state there devices.

And anyone that have an app neaded to be tested could post an request about testing with links to the apk file.
Then do simply anyone that tests the apk post there results on that thread mentioning wath app they tested and on wath devices.

You would get more people to test it that way as many are not intrested in closed groups.

If anyone wants an closed testing so could they provide an contact email where the intrested testers could contact them

My 4 android devices is printed belowe

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2012 22:24
Glad to see some interest. I only suggest off-site discussion of this because I wasn't sure how TGC would feel about us doing this here (i.e. IP issues that could possibly arise). But I guess if devs are willing to put it out there, then TGC need not worry.

A sticky of devs willing to offer testing services would probably be best!

Alain91
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2012 22:48
A very good idea!

Alain
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2012 00:28
Thats a great idea, I can test on my asus transformer tf300 and galaxy note 4.1 and 4.0

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 08:09:08
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 08:09:08