Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Multiple apk files possible?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all. I am getting reasonably close to completing my game Obliterator and thought I would ask this question well ahead to give time for any answers Has anyone made a game with exceeds the max file size for an apk? Obliterator is at present over twice the allowed size, although it will probably trim down when I get round to tidying it more.
The google site gives the option of multiple apk files, but as I only know how to make the one at the moment I wondered how I should go about it? I was considering the second apk to consist of the last few levels but apart from just zipping em up and renaming them have no idea how I could get it to work. I am guessing that my suggested method won't lol.
The only other idea I have is to store the bulk of levels on my website and get the app to download them afterwards. The trouble I have had trying to get a high score chart working like this puts me off a little, although downloading files is a lot easier than trying to upload them.

So any ideas?

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2012 15:34
I didn't know there was a max apk size. What is it?

I don't suppose there is any way for you to make your game smaller.

Are you using music? I've seen that as the biggest culprit for making an app large.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2012 15:45
You can make your game download additional files from your site for example / FTP. That's how bigger games are done.

Follow me on twitter! @MotionStruct
Motion Struct blog
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2012 15:51 Edited at: 8th Nov 2012 18:02
The max size is 50MB. It says that you can add multiple apk files for bigger games.
Yes the music is fairly big, but not much I can do about that apart from drop it, which for a shooter would not be great. The graphics are also a big culprit and are also a fair size. I will be able to trim it down a little but nowhere near 50mb, more like 70-80 at best I imagine. Also as I could make the game download the extra data itself, but I am not sure if that is very secure, as I am not familiar with php etc.

Perhaps there is an option for splitting the apk from eclipse into smaller chunks?

Edit
looking at the music it is actually bigger than I first thought, weighing in at about 26mb or so. It is a pity midi are not allowed for they would be a lot smaller than mp3's. I will probably have to include those with each level as well.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 20:04:35
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 20:04:35