Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [LOCKED] Officially DONE with TGC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
OK I'm out. I have put up with the severe deficiancies of DBPro and FPSC but now I caved and bought AppGameKit ang guess what, surprise surprise it doesn't work on my machine.

Thats it, I'm done. I'm going to find a real grown up language to use and shake the TGC dust from my heels.

Byeeeee

Signature removed by moderator. Please do not give out the meaning of life in an open forum.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I can understand your frustration. Happens to everyone.

We all want the PERFECT toolkit that has all the options we want and works perfectly 100% all the time, on all machines.

Well, reality check, this does not exist, no toolkit is perfect!

Hope you find what you want with other toolkits.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2012 19:18
Marabas, what machine do you have that it doesn't work on?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2012 20:14
Probably the new beta that dont work on windows xp as they changed the open gl version.

But tgc have stated that they are working on fallback drivers for xp.

Hope he finds wath he is looking foor

I searched and found tgc products.

I know that agk have a large amount of flaws,but i try to help tgc to get it better instead.

And its still in development.

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2012 20:28
I bought in the past some of the products of TGC and I have to admit the Dark DGK is not what I was looking for, but the AppGameKit is fine and a level up from the other products of TGC so far.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
DarkGDK was a great product in concept.

The problem was that it was kind of abandoned and rarely updated.

Recently it was picked up by a Forum member and redone, with hundreds of fixes and updates.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 7th Nov 2012 21:34
Quote: "Marabas, what machine do you have that it doesn't work on?"

+1

Although I doubt very much we will get an answer to this...

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2012 22:33
It's sad when people just take their ball away.

There's so much fragmentation across the platforms that anybody thinking there would be an instant perfect fix is living on planet Zog! Very few companies are as responsive to user feedback as TGC. Anybody here tried sending a bug report to Microsoft? Forget it!

This thing is evolving. It's alive. Okay - it doesn't run on my gas cooker, but I'm not abandoning the fascinating kitchen any time soon.

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2012 22:55
I just spent a few weeks with UDK, forums are full of bug reports, sound kept cutting on me and I had to keep restarting the editor, you also need to restart the editor any-time you compile your scripts.

But:

UDK is awesome and I never complained once, this is because no tool is perfect, software is a complicated business and you must always overcome issues and find workarounds.

Good luck anyway, hope you find a tool that works for you.

IronGiant
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2012 23:50
I too use XP for my desktop computer, not because I have too, but because I like it better.

I'm older and so is alot of my software. I could get a copy of Win 7 tomorrow if I so desired, I do not. My brother had 7, we both tried it, didnt like it, even my brother went back to XP.

Was a giant step backwards in software compatibility when using 7. Sure you can use more Ram and newer Hardware. but hardware is a door stop if it is not backed up by good software. Anyone remember the Atari ST? good machine, bad software catalog. well cept for GFA Basic and anything from Antic Software and Tom Hudson!

So for me, My software collection that I have amassed over the last 10 years means more to me than fancy Windows and Cute Clicking.

So I do hope AppGameKit is always made to be used in XP, even if it is an after thought.

Not everyone uses Windows 7 or 8, and as for 8, dont even get me started on that Joke assed looking OS, least the desktop Version.

Looks Like something Fisher "Freak'n" Price makes for 3 year olds , kids comps.

I'll give Windows 7 that much credit, it has a nice look and runs pretty well, its just the lack of compatibility with older windows 98 and windows XP that stops me from using it as my main OS.

I have programs and games that wont play well on 7, and yes I use Dosbox for dos games, just windows XP stuff doesnt always like 7.

So lets keep this in mind please. Some of us will always like XP better. and if AppGameKit goes pure Win 7 or 8, I too am out!

Happy programming,.. beep beep...

It's Bird! , It's Plane!, No its a rocket powered Squirrel holding some acorns and a smile!
Doz
Years of Service
User Offline
In case the OP does come back, or anyone else runs into issues, try the demo first, that's what it is there for. If you have problems post them here on the forums, we have some of the most helpful members I've ever seen so I'm sure an answer can be found to issues you might encounter.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." -Abraham Lincoln
basjak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 01:10
Hold on marabas. Agk is a good product with promising future. I never had a problem with it on my computer and handles some stuff better than dB pro.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
IronGiant you have all the right in the world to stay attached to Xp, however if AppGameKit wants to be a product of today, it cannot stay dependent on older technology like ogl 1.0, it has use the latest goodies to compete.

Who is going to buy a product that forces the user to install DX9 today? This is the problem that Darkbasic faces.
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 12:46
Quote: "IronGiant you have all the right in the world to stay attached to Xp, however if AppGameKit wants to be a product of today, it cannot stay dependent on older technology like ogl 1.0, it has use the latest goodies to compete.

Who is going to buy a product that forces the user to install DX9 today? This is the problem that Darkbasic faces."

True, but it currently needs to remain compatible with XP somehow as over 40% of PC's still use it and that's too big a chunk of your potential customers to ignore any time soon.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 13:37
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 14:54 Edited at: 8th Nov 2012 14:56
@ Irongiant, Goodness! You sound like some of the customers I have seen over the years. Win95, pah! I will be sticking with windows 3.11 thankyou! Internet? I stay off that! It's dangerous!
I have heard it over the years for every OS, including DOS and windows. I have even said it myself when XP was released lol. XP was a shambles when first released, blue screens of death abounded and made my life a lot more complicated! I refused to sell (or warned of the potential pitfalls at least) XP machines for the first 6 months, till they had got it semi decent.
Many people said they would keep 98 and never move over to XP. I doubt many still have 98 now lol. Eventually we have to upgrade, simply because hardware vendors stop producing the drivers..
Still I understand where your coming from of course!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 15:29
I always drag my heels, I had Windows2000 for ages before going to XP, and I only recently added a dual boot for Win7. You know why? - the sheer volume of software that I have, that doesn't work on Win7, I need XP because my development tools need XP.

It's not like we install Win7 or Win8, then everything works, no because that would make Microsoft a reliable company. I've lost count of the number of times they have removed a feature I relied on. That's why there are no Vista or Win7 PC's where I work, it's all XP. Is there a dire need to upgrade to 7?, are we missing any features that would make our lives easier? - NO, in fact I don't see a point where I'll even want to upgrade the PC's at work.

An upgrade should upgrade features, not remove them, not stupify them, not make them slightly better looking - but Windows OS upgrades don't seem to care too much about compatibility. I get tired of people banging on about upgrades, upgrades are the work of the devil and the people who preach about them tend to do very little besides play games and social network. When it comes to real work, you use the best tool for the job, and my toolbox is XP. It's not a sign of weakness, in fact the reverse is true - How many times in the liftime of your PC do you plan on paying Microsoft to remove features and control from your hands!

So please people, stop bleating on about Win7/8 and consider that maybe some people use XP because it's the best option. Use the best tool for the job and don't be so quick to perform a software labotomy on your computer.

I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more memes.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 15:37
Guys, I think Marabas really meant he was done. He's not responded to anything here. I suspect he isn't even looking at the forum anymore.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 15:45
I hope Marabus finds that in order to do what he wants he might need to upgrade his machine rather than change the language he is using. I'd be surprised if there is a more "grown up" language that can be bought and used for the same price as AppGameKit for the same purposes.

Let us know if you change your mind Marabus, sorry to see you so disappointed...

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 16:19
I find it funny that people blame the OS and not the software vendor... its the software that is not working... the OS is working just fine, as is new software that had been developed to work in an improved environment...

anyway hopefully a mod will lock this thread as the OP has left the building...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 16:24
I wasn't blaming the OS actually, I was just saying it might be out of date for modern game development. You can't really expect software that is being developed to work forever on an OS that isn't.

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 16:45 Edited at: 8th Nov 2012 16:46
Quote: "I find it funny that people blame the OS and not the software vendor."

Software is built upon the rule set of the parent OS, once created it's set in stone. These rules aren't defined by software authors, rather by OS vendors. So they have a responsibility to provide as much legacy support as possible.

KaiProton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 17:19
Strange, That someone would Abandon without looking back,

I have tried out DBPro, and I found it difficult to learn, the intellisence wasnt much help, I used it because Im used to VB6, and VBA, but after getting frustration I ended up back on MMF2,

Then I tried out Play Basic, and Although it was good like DBP but again, I went back to MMF2,

so Ive tried out Unity for Mobile Applications, and Found I ended up trying to make it do 2D games, although it can do it, I found it a pain, so I ventured back here AppGameKit!!! Brilliant, its all the stuff I want to do, the commands are easy to understand, and once I purchase it, the Publishing range is wide..

I have the Trial version on my work XP Pro, Also on my Home Win7 Premium, and on my XP Student Pro laptop of my Daughters, so I have a compute to use with it on at the moment where ever I am,

Not had any problems running it every anywhere...

its a really good language to use.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 17:41
I'm locking this. It doesn't look like the OP is returning in the near future and the thread has run it's course.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 08:08:58
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 08:08:58