Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Setting up tier2

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 17:48 Edited at: 8th Nov 2012 19:01
Hello, I have been using Tier1 to develop apps for about a year now, but since im short on time, and the latest AppGameKit beta broke a big part of the app im working on, I thought i'd try to port the app over to T2. Turns out it wasn't as easy as I had thought. After 2 hours, I have no idea what im doing.

I think I could learn the language within a few days, but setting the project up seems to be a total pain.

I downloaded VS2010 express, and tried opening a few projects. Once I finaly managed to open one of the example projects, I got a few errors and instead of trying to fix them, i tried to open a template which Ancient lady uploaded here.http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=200234&b=41. I managed to open the project, but this one returns errors on all "agk::" commands as well as this line "using namespace AGK;"

And I have no idea how to procede. Is there a better guide on how to setup Tier 2 for windows somewhere?

Edit: This is the error im getting.

Edit2:

I managed to fix that error (yeay!)
But another one soon apeared, now I get this error when I try to build the project.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 19:26
First, this page has the latest full, updated, correct, working Tier 2 templates I've created so far. It is also where I will put any updates. Download either of the Windows ones for a start.

Follow the instructions on that page for setting the include/library directories in the template before copying it to another directory.

And then follow the instructions for creating your own project from the template.

This will leave you with a complete Tier 2 project to work with.

You can add your own code files for whatever purposes you need. Like separating functions or creating objects and stuff.

Your media will go in the <yourproj>/Final directory. I add another directory under that named media and put "/media/" as the first part for the file name in all the Load commands (Image/Sound/Music/etc.) just to keep the stuff separate.

Now, it's up to you to make the app do something.

The al_tweak version actually does a bit more than says hello, it lets you actually exit the app.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 19:44
The Zoq2, I just updated the windows templates and instructions for renaming. So, if you downloaded the windows templates, please do it again to get the fresh one. It and the instructions are now better for renaming the final product.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 20:47
Yeay, I got it to work, now to port 4000 lines of code to a programming language I don't know
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 21:20 Edited at: 8th Nov 2012 21:22
Fortunately, for most of the AppGameKit commands, you only need to add 'agk::' before the command and a semi-colon at the end of the line.

Of course, you will run into the case sensitivity issue. That is going to bite you in the butt everywhere!

EDIT: I did the same for my finished-but-not-yet-published game. It had 22 .agc files (including main.agc) and uncounted thousands of lines of code. Fortunately, I was pretty good at using the correct cases to start with.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 22:10
That seems to be the case, right now im trying to get Visual studio to behave the way I want it to though. It's realy anoying when it's not filling in closing brackets. And the fact that I now have to use 3 IDE's, AppGameKit, VS and Netbeans which I use at school. Is it possible to use netbeans instead of VS?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 22:25
No, you must use VS for Windows Tier 2 (C++).

Come on, you want to be a programmer. What's one more interface?

One day, many years back, I annoyed the other programmers in my office by monopolizing three of the computers. Each was a different computer altogether (none even Windows), hooked to a machine somewhere, and the target machines were all different OS's and the languages were all different. It was fun!

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 22:32 Edited at: 8th Nov 2012 22:45
I guess, im just anoyed by the fact that it's a microsoft product and that it dosn't fill in the stuff I want it to

Also, what will I have to do when upgrading the AppGameKit version?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 15:52
When the next version is actually compilable in MS (v1082 wasn't), I'll make a new template. Then you should only need to copy your code files and media to a new project and it should be okay.

I haven't tried to do anything with v1083 yet. I'm trying to concentrate on my own game.

I might not worry about v108 for another couple of releases, beta versions are buggy and I don't really want to spend too much time on them. But I suppose that I'll probably install v1083 so that I can verify bugs in my role as Community Tester.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 16:12
Personaly I'd just like a version where the Sensor and touchscreen commands for ultrabook work, which isnt' the case with 1083

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 16:47:27
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 16:47:27