Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / whiten sprite?

Author
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
is there a way to make a coloured sprite with various colours, 100% white?

tried the setspritecolor command, which is great for colouring a white sprite, but not the other way round
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 09:41
You could have a pure white version of the image and make place a sprite using that image directly over you original. Then just set the alpha of the white sprite.

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Perhaps a more efficient way would be to add an animation frame with the white version on? Unless it has a large animation already. That way you can just change the frame when you want it to become pure white.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
well, i was thinking of an agk command that would get away with having white duplicates of all sprites!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 22:30
SetSpriteColor does affect sprites created from images that are non-white. I use it regularly.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
SetSpriteColor seems the only command that could do what I want, but it's impossible to whiten a colored image.

Can i use some command and use the outline shape of my sprite to cut a new sprite from a white square sprite?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 01:24 Edited at: 10th Nov 2012 01:25
When I use SetSpriteColor on a colored image, it does affect the image. But, you are correct, if I try to just set all the colors to 255, it has no affect. Sorry. I had not tried making something whiter, just adding different shading.

Sounds like a white sprite overlapping the colored with setting alpha may be your only option.

Quote: "Can i use some command and use the outline shape of my sprite to cut a new sprite from a white square sprite?"

I don't think so. The issue is detecting edges. Theoretically the scissor commands might be used, but I think they are line/rectangular only.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 10:30
SetSpriteColor effectively just specifies the amount of colour to be displayed from the original image, you can't increase the ammount of RGB to make it white. (ie: x/255 * orig_colour)

Quote: "Can i use some command and use the outline shape of my sprite to cut a new sprite from a white square sprite?"

You could use SetImageMask() to automatically create the white sprites at load time, but it's too slow to use in your main game loop.

If your current images don't use and fancy alpha values then they will be 255 wherever you have a pixel. So copying this into the RGB parameters of your new image will create a white one.

Something like (pseudo):

//I think this is the only way of creating a new image to use
int whiteImage = agk::CopyImage( srcImage, 0, 0, agk::GetImageWidth( srcImage ) , agk::GetImageHeight( srcImage ) );

//Copy source image alpha to white image RGB channels
agk::SetImageMask( whiteImage , srcImage, 1, 4, 0, 0 );
agk::SetImageMask( whiteImage , srcImage, 2, 4, 0, 0 );
agk::SetImageMask( whiteImage , srcImage, 3, 4, 0, 0 );

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 23:21:51
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 23:21:51