Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Android and 1083

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 20:36
Hey folks,

We are working on building a mobile engine framework for our shooter platform and we have the ground work ready to fire and has been doing well on the PC, but our obvious targets are the iOS and Android and we are currently testing Android by simply using the broadcast functionality. Problem is, nothing happens. Works fine on the PC but nothing broadcasts to our Android devices . (Motorola Droid 4's) Stays in "STANDBY" mode. We have turned off all firewalls and I'm using WiFi at the moment so I don't think we have a problem there.

We have switched gears to iPhone testing now....until we hear something. Maybe there's something we are not aware of for the Android so any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was to convince the world he didn't exist."
TrezSoft
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 20:50
I have not seen any issues with 1083 and Android, been testing with Nexus7 and a generic Android tablet (ics) both using the broadcast.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 20:56
What Android Player are you using?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
gbison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 21:06
Hello

1.083 from our products page.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was to convince the world he didn't exist."
gbison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 21:13
Quote: "I have not seen any issues with 1083 and Android, been testing with Nexus7 and a generic Android tablet (ics) both using the broadcast."

Right and we understood everything to be working appropriately which is why we are questioning whats wrong. I have tried 1076, 1082 and 1083 viewers and none of them are working for us at least on these phones.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 21:27
I've had no trouble with v1076 and v1082 Android Players (self-built, go here to download them, they can both be installed at the same time). I haven't done one for v1083 yet. But the AppGameKit IDE was able to broadcast to the appropriately running Player on two different devices (Android 3.2 and Android 4.0) and it all worked.

gbison, have you ever had a Player on your device work (any version of AGK)?

If not, than I suspect there is a network/wireless issue.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
gbison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 21:47
Quote: "have you ever had a Player on your device work (any version of AGK)?"

Actually these are our first tests, we have been trying out the language and feel it will be viable for production work so we are now trying to test our initial developments on the Android and iOS platforms and thus far we are not having any luck with the broadcast mechanism.

I will look into the network/wireless side of things. The software simply uses the wireless radio to transmit over various ports to awaiting clients, am I correct? If so I'll start analysis with that mindset.

Thank you thus far.....

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 21:54
I don't believe that the AppGameKit IDE on your Windows PC is actually broadcasting directly. It sends the app out on the network it is connected to.

The assumption is that your Android and iOS devices (being wireless) are connected to the same network via a wireless router.

So, the first thing to check is whether all the appropriate devices and PCs connected to the same network.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
gbison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 22:08
Understood, will re-evaluate and report back.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 23:50
I've seen random behaviour with broadcast to Android. Forget it.

Strongly suggest either using DropBox or a USB pen-drive and avoiding the hours of not-working or did-work-yesterday scenarios.

DropBox is perhaps the best way, because it's as close as you can get to using a download from an App Store.

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 00:07
JimHawkins, as long as the Player is good (and it really helps to compile your own or use one of the ones I've made public), it is good for testing. I haven't tested the v1083 one posted. But all the Android ones previously posted were actually buggy.

Since I've jumped to Tier 2, I don't worry about it much. Except as it affects testing done in my role as Community Tester.

Once my app is published (it's complete and now I'm working on the levels), I might try Tier 3. Do you have the bits set up so that Android apks can be created? I think I've seen that it works with Xcode to do iOS and Mac stuff.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 00:55
I love your app, which is like Crazy Golf in the galaxy!

Erik is the expert on the Pascal. He has sensibly opted not to do a 1083(x) port until it's past beta stages.

Give the current system a run. You may find it liberating!!!

You will already have Eclipse installed. No need for Cygwin, but you will have that for T2 anyway.

I was worried about you when Sandy seemed to be moving across Virginia. Hope you had no damage.

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 01:27
We had a small corner of a shed take some damage. And did without power for about 18 hours. Otherwise, it was just noisy and scary. Thank you for your concern.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
DennisW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 05:33
Not too bad Ancient Lady. We ended up putting on a new roof.We also had no power for a week. Thank God for solar panels and battery backup.

Ham and Eggs Breakfast
The Chicken was involved the Pig was Committed
AGK Community Tester
gbison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 05:54 Edited at: 10th Nov 2012 06:28
We ended up with a snow storm, bout 12 inches dumped on us. I really dislike winter

As far as the AppGameKit viewer goes, we are still getting nothing. I actually switched networks entirely and still the end result was the same, the viewer simply sets there on the device in Standby, while it runs flawlessly on my dev rig. Tried a whole new machine, same result. Rather discouraging I must say, this was really a feature we expected to be able to use.... sigh

However, since no one seems to have much experience with the new beta, I feel maybe it would be wise to revert to 1076 and use the player previously posted by ancient lady.

ICERGB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 06:33 Edited at: 10th Nov 2012 06:41
Ive had trouble broadcasting to the AppGameKit viewer on both my nexus 5 phone and the acer iconia since AppGameKit 3.

I switched over to mostly just compiling to test now.

I also tried disabling firewalls/virus programs etc. I even went out and bought a usb wireless adapter. Which did not solve the issue.

I also made an empty AppGameKit compilation to try and trick the AGKPlayer into running.

Once in a while it does work. Once I get it working it seems to run ok. The trick is getting the AppGameKit player to run a first time on the target device...

Some AppGameKit problems are fixed rather fast, but if I waited for other fixes I would still be waiting.(or trying another great idea to solve the issue because apparently I just don't get it) I just hope they keep the android compilations stable.

On the other hand some people don't seem to have any trouble with the android AppGameKit player...
gbison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 07:08 Edited at: 10th Nov 2012 07:08
Update!

I just got done reverting everything back to 1076 and used Ancient Ladies viewer build for 76 and she works! Now that Ill have coffee to

I have tried it at least 30 times now and its working every time. So hopefully the intermittent bug wont plague us to much. Now we can get back to work, much thanks!

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 17:54
gbison, great!

Happy Programming!

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 21:38 Edited at: 10th Nov 2012 21:39
I have tested 108 beta 3 tier 1 with the beta android player and it works everytime for me

Bare in mind that android is a pain to get to work properly! as it have a bunch of weird performance problems depending on wath manufacturer of the device it is and android version.

And a big point is that android dont like large sprites like background sprites that cover the screen and uv scrolling.

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 12:57:16
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 12:57:16