Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Reasonable size world space in AGK for tablet deploymnet

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 23:57
What is a reasonable size world space in AppGameKit if the game would *only* be available on a large tablet (10.1 in)? 1024? 2048? 4096? Higher?

I'd prefer to go w/4096, load the entire map and go from there but I'd like to take the pulse of others out there to see what's feasible under *normal* circumstances ...

If that's too big, what is the preferred way to load a larger map and navigate it?

Many thanks in advance for your insights....

----
From the Desk of Prof Versaggi ...
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
It entirely depends on what sort of game and how much speed you need. The size of the tablet screen is almost irrelevant. The resolution is really the only issue. The larger the world, the slower the game will run (within reason). Collision methods, frame rate and also the amount of sprites on screen will also be an issue. It is a pretty general question that is difficult to answer. What would be reasonable for say a platformer, would be potentially small for an RPG for instance.
I think when it comes to questions like this, to quote the matrix, you are better off realizing that there is no spoon.

ProfVersaggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 11:17
What I'm considering is a battleship type game where one controls a battleship on the ocean and combats enemies. The prospects of making a larger world would permit the use of radar for hunting enemies and (hopefully) make the game play a bit more interesting ... does that help the analysis process any?

----
From the Desk of Prof Versaggi ...
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 11:58
Its more or less how clever programming you use that decides how large the map could be.

I suggest that you have a limited set of sprites you reuse for the sea and islands.

And simply swap them around the screen when neaded.

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 12:05
There is no reason why you can't have an unlimited ocean. However you draw the water, just keep moving it when a section goes off screen and put it where it is needed next(depending on the direction the ship is travelling).

You are not really limited in any way with an ocean, it's land that may complicate it.

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 13:46
in my opinion the best approach is to define a "sliding window" that comprises the tiles on the screen plus the tiles on the border. The sprites are created once (because creating sprites for each frame is a slow process affecting FPS as I and other developers have experimented). Then, when moving in the world, you reuse the sprites assigning them the properties (size, angle, physical properties, etc), if they change, of course.
So you could have a virtually infinite world. If you think to manage a big world by creating all sprites that make it, I think that FPS (speed) and memory issue would soon appear...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 03:46:30
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 03:46:30