Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / ADG 2nd Anniversary Competition - Open entry

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2012 16:42 Edited at: 31st Dec 2012 16:44
@Hodgey:
Very nice! A few minor hiccups but other than that, really good!

@MrV:
Downloading your final product as we speak.

@Baxslash:
Quote: "So far I have only 2 entries... I hope there will be more"

You chose the wrong time of the year. Last one got announced early so people with lives (that excludes me, lol) don't have time to pour lots of work in last minute. This is a busy time for most people (not me usually, I don't have a life *he says it with some strange sort of pride* but unfortunately I have many projects this time). I'd love to bump your entry count so you can consider the 1D game I posted earlier for 99th place. I think next year I shall actually allocate time for the ADG comp and if it doesn't happen, use said time for personal stuff.

EDIT:
@Cliff:
Ah, you've an entry. Will have to check it later.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2012 18:38
sorry for the double post....

@MrV:
I can't upload the image as my net is down (thundaga storm) and am using my phone, but Volcanic Adventures crashes on trying to access the following path: "/media/002/0000003"
with your custom error message. I hope it's just me getting this. Anyhow, should be easy to fix and recompile.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 31st Dec 2012 19:24
nonzero - check if the file exists, or try rerunning... alternatively try to extract from the zip then the exe again, it is certainly there, could be damaged in transit otherwise, try downloading again...

Thank you for trying to try it, I hope you can enjoy the mechanics soon!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2012 21:49 Edited at: 31st Dec 2012 21:50
Quote: "Very nice! A few minor hiccups but other than that, really good!"

Thanks! When I played it back after recording I wasn't overly happy with it, it's not as good as some of the other stuff I've done (not to sound boastful or anything). And with the hiccups, well, when you're trying to sing, play guitar, recall the lyrics you wrote the previous day, and about to leave for holidays in an hour; there will be plenty of mistakes so I picked the one with the least amount.

@ Cliff, Mr V; I'll try your entries when I get back from holidays. I only took my mac with me.

Edit- Happy New Year everyone!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2012 23:45
Hodgey - Happy Hunting

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2013 00:50 Edited at: 1st Jan 2013 01:19
Well, here is my entry. It was suposed to be a "simulation of colonisation of space. Where there would be one planet with a population at first. They would send a ship to a random solar system, which would start teraforming a planet in that system. When the planet is teraformed, it would start sending ships to. However, I had a lot of trouble with the ships (after looking for 3 hours I never managed to find the cause). So no it's basicaly a bunch of planets spinning around suns. And randomly teraform into more habitable planets after a while. This would probably fit best within the 2D media.

Hopefully this will still fit in with the theme of the competition.

Edit: I found the problem. Turns out I just had to move one line 3 lines down. Hopefully I will be able to finish the rest within 10-15 minutes and still make the deadline.

Edit 2: 7 minutes past the deadline: I fixed the ship part so hopefully the deadline is a bit flexible.

I atatched the latest version but if you want the old version for judging, just tell me

Edit 3: I was trying to fix some more last minute stuff, and remembered that I still had some debuging code in the app. But I did some changes that I can't find how to revert. So hopefully you don't care about text. Also, some basic controlls. Use "W" and "S" to zoom in and out and use the mouse to look around.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
sketche99
Years of Service
User Offline
I hope I made it in time for the deadline!

My Game is entitled "1st Daze of High School"

Its the story of you, a new high school student, who finds out that his middle school bully is attending the same school! Don't let the bully push you around this year, but don't attack your friends either!

I pretty much took the Santa's Bad Elf AppGameKit game project and changed the music and the art, all in the last 24 hours. Hope you all like it!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2013 08:54
OK, I'll allow all entries before this post and let you all know when I've made a decision, Happy New Year folks!!

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2013 22:48
Sounds great bax

Iam back again after all celebrations and reworking large parts of the mess i sent in

When i started to play it again after i came back so do i see some potential for a full fledged game out of this .

I also noticed your 3d particles function i nead to check out and maybe put them in.

But wath i do with the rework do i not know at this point

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2013 23:14
Hi everyone, sorry I haven't quite finished deciding on the winners yet. I have started evaluating the entries and will announce the winners ASAP!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 12th Jan 2013 21:43
Quote: "I have started evaluating the entries and will announce the winners ASAP!"

I'd better get the free skyboxes and animated spritesheets ready then?

Good luck to all contestants!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2013 10:56
Announcement
Hi everyone. I finally made some time last night to come to a decision. Here are the winners!

First Place
Volcanic Adventures by MrValentine

Second Place
A dawning light by Hodgey

Third Place
3D Freedom Jump by Cliff Mellangard 3DGS

Fourth Place
Release 2 by The Zoq2

Fifth Place
1st Daze of High School by sketche99

I will let TheSlayer contact you with his prizes and if you let me know what you want to spend your winnings on I will get it added to your account ASAP.

Well done guys!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2013 11:11
OH My, you have no idea what I did just now when I read this... [Ran upstairs and shouted in joy!]

Thank you! this is a massive motivator for me, felicitations to fellow contestants!

I was wondering if it would be a voucher so that I could spend a little more and get a little more at the same time... if not, I shall peruse!

Thank you once again, this will be a real boost to what I can create now!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2013 11:13
Quote: "OH My, you have no idea what I did just now when I read this... [Ran upstairs and shouted in joy!]"

Glad to make your day MrV

Quote: "I was wondering if it would be a voucher so that I could spend a little more and get a little more at the same time... if not, I shall peruse!"

I will have to see how this would be arranged but let me know what you'd like to do by email and we'll try to help you

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2013 11:16
Congrats valentine
Hick to much beer

Quote: "if you let me know what you want to spend your winnings on I will get it added to your account ASAP."

I will have to check the store

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2013 11:26
You like giving me second place don't you bax?

Congratulations Mr V! Now if you would kindly surrender your voucher this won't have to get messy. Seriously though, well done and well deserved.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2013 11:27 Edited at: 18th Jan 2013 11:28
baxslash - You got mail

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS - to you too, but do drink resoponbilityso... uhh { has a } Responsibly

EDIT

Hodgey - Thank you!

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2013 12:23
Congratulations MR V.
Well done!

I'm not a complete idiot -- Some parts are just missing.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2013 12:32
Thank you Kezzla!

@ all - I have huge plans for this year so expect even bigger results from me!

I will be putting Volcanic Adventures on Kickstarter and work on two further projects which will see the face of Kickstarter too, and the main aim is I wish to undertake early days work for my RPG game which I have an architect on board eager to get cracking! later this year that is...

An early intoduction to my planned benchmark program which will spawn several games from its engine... [Due sometime in February]

As I said winning this competition has me in mega high spirits!

[BOW] [BOW] [BOW]

I feel dizzy

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2013 15:52
Congratz, MrValentine!
And a big applause to all other contestants! Well done, guys!

Quote: "I will let TheSlayer contact you with his prizes"

First, I would need everyone's email address. Do you have them, bax? ?
Only need the email addresses of sketche99 and Cliff Mellangard 3DGS. Thanks.

As for prizes:

First Place
- Three 3D skyboxes (custom made)
- 20 animated spritesheets
- Five textures

Second Place
- Two 3D skyboxes (custom made)

Third Place
- One 3D skybox (custom made)

Fourth and Fifth Place

Cheers

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2013 15:54 Edited at: 18th Jan 2013 15:57
That's awesome thanks TheSlayer! I don't have everyone's email. If they could contact you that would save me playing middle man on your prizes

Cheers!

EDIT: Actually I need them too! Could all winners contact me via email with their full real names and I'll forward your vouchers (which can be used when you place an order through TGC) so you can use them to discount a more expensive order

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2013 17:52
Great work everybody, and thanks for hosting this bax. I will send you an email today

Quote: "Release 2 by The Zoq2"

I guess I forgot to name my entry
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2013 18:33
Congrats MrV well done and good luck for your future endeavors. Congrats to Hodgey and Cliff Mellangard too for 2nd and 3rd. Well done to all the other entrants for at least trying and not making excuses about not having the time *ahem, myself* (I really will put aside time next year).
Anyway, I hope everyone's gonna take their competition experience and push themselves further now. To "New Beginings"

Silence is golden, duct tape is silver
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2013 19:02
nonZero - indeed

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2013 15:06
Emails to the winners should now have been sent, please let me know if you didn't get yours. Congrats guys!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2013 09:08
Thanks baxslash, I got mine! Now I just need to work out what I'm going to spend it on. Leadwerks is about the only thing I'm interested in (that I haven't got).

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2013 15:15
Quote: "Leadwerks is about the only thing I'm interested in (that I haven't got)."

Sounds interesting!
Got the license a year ago (or something like that), and I'm still very happy that I've purchased it.

To Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS: I still need your email address, so that I can send you your prizes. Could you drop me an email? Thanks!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 14:34:32
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 14:34:32