Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Yup, Windows 8 falls to the 'every other Microsoft OS bites it' syndrome

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 18:55 Edited at: 14th Dec 2012 19:18
Every other version of a Microsoft Windows OS has just not worked:
Windows 2K - good
Windows ME - "has been said to be one of the worst operating systems Microsoft ever released"
Windows XP - so good, most places still haven't gone to Windows 7
Windows Vista - so bad, not even supported anymore
Windows 7 - good (even if the Blue Screen of Death has returned)
Windows 8 - "Windows 8 — Disappointing Usability for Both Novice and Power Users" and "Is Windows 8’s Lack of Windows a Mistake?"

You guessed it, I won't touch Windows 8 with a ten foot pole. I might upgrade my VMWare to support it and get a license to see if my clients' web sites work in it. But I won't get it for any of my own computers. Sad, The Surface looked like it had such promise.

EDIT: My favorite part of the first Windows 8 article:
Quote: "The worst gesture might be the one to reveal the list of currently running applications: you need to first swipe from the screen's left edge, and then immediately reverse direction and do a small swipe the other way, and finally make a 90-degree turn to move your finger to a thumbnail of the desired application. The slightest mistake in any of these steps gives you a different result."

EDIT: This is why I won't worry about AppGameKit being Windows 8 compatible. I should have mentioned that this is why I posted this in this forum.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 21:17
The AppGameKit has no other choice: It must be compatible with the Windows 8.
Personally I don't care. I use the AppGameKit for fun in my system having the Windows 7 Pro. And I am very satisfied using this OS.
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 21:30
I have a self imposed rule now, wait at least a year before upgrading to the next windows OS.

From most of the articles I've seen on Windows 8, it has just been a nightmare. Too be honest, I like the look of Windows 7 better.

Once they refine Windows 8 (and release windows 8 vista, windows 9 or whatever they're going to call it) it'll probably be okay.

I would like to see AppGameKit support windows phone 8, because I just got a new Nokia Lumia 820.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Whatever all these reviewers are saying, the ModernUI and the integrated appstore is the best thing for non-business & non-IT literate people.

Windows8 will solve a lot of problems for people who "do not know how to use a computer". small % of getting virus and only access to verified apps from the appstore.

also its the first OS that integrates html5 apps seamlessly, as if they were native apps.

I agree that Vista & ME were the worst OS Microsoft ever released. XP & Win7 were good though.
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 21:37
I've been using Windows 8 for a while now, and I think it's pretty good. (I installed it when it was still in beta to test if my DBP projects would work under the new OS)

The 1st few days of using it were a bit tricky as the gestures and new Start thing take a bit of getting used to, but once you do its pretty cool.

I can only imagine how great it would be to use this new OS on a touch enabled display.

The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 21:49
Why am I so not surprised?.....after all even the original name...'Metro' was a mistake you simply do not expect from such a huge beast of a company....then this is its problems....many many many hands makes poor code....Microsoft....STOP being bloat ware.......be good ware!

I guess they just don't read the media!

Constantly seeking!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 22:03
Quote: "small % of getting virus and only access to verified apps from the appstore."

Really? Windows OS's are the most prone to getting viruses of any OS out there. Just give the hackers time to discover the weaknesses in Windows 8.

And I can't imagine using Windows and only being able to use the programs they say are clean. I'd say that about 90% of the non-OS programs on my computers are NOT from Microsoft or any store they provide.

Now, Windows 8 is probably great for phones and okay for tablets (once you get used to stuff).

But for working on a PC, it makes no sense. Especially for productivity workers (I like that term) and programmers. One application visible at a time? I cannot imagine how it would look on my dual 22" monitors. As the articles say, it should be called 'Window 8', because it is only one window. Yes, they have a legacy mode, but that says it all right there. They call it 'legacy' and it isn't meant to be the new interface.

One of my monitors is a touch screen and all of my existing programs work with it. Just simple bits like select and drag, activate buttons and things that are simple touch based. But on a PC, I'm going to use my mouse to do that anyway.

And it is not hard to create programs that recognize gestures based on the mouse/touch (this is what is done anyway in Windows 8).

Windows 8 has potential. Which is why Windows 9 will probably be very good (that every other one thing again). But it really needs to not forget why everyone has been getting bigger and bigger monitors for their PCs, we like lots of windows.

AGK will go on to support it, as painful as it might be, because it will be around for a while. But I don't plan to produce anything that will only run in one environment properly. Being tied to DirectX in Windows is very bad. Microsoft just doesn't get that being so proprietary is not a good thing.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 22:16
I don't know, I think it's a pretty natural progression. Maybe the OS needs some work and gestures need to be thought out a little better but touch / multi-touch are really natural and even fun to use on the Ultrabook I have.

I have caught my wife and eldest son touching the screen on the wrong laptop and saying, "Oh... what's wrong with the screen?" or something similar before realising they are using a different machine.

I think it's smart of MS to embrace the way other devices work and try to make it work for laptops and potentially desktops too. The more standardised things work the easier they will be to pick up and use without any special training.

Maybe one day MS will be able to please everyone but I sincerely doubt it.

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
AL I agree with all you say, but you have to see it from a non-IT person point of view, not from someone like you who is comfortable with Linux and typing line commands!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 22:34
I like touch devices. I quite enjoy my iPad, iPod Touch and Android tablets. But my Palm Pilot V just doesn't get it, I actually have to almost smash into it to get it to respond! (My hubby calls me the tablet lady.)

I have a Fujitsu laptop that can be a tablet by twisting and closing the monitor. Then it has a pop-up keyboard and responds like a tablet.

Touching screens took quite a bit of getting used to after years of telling people to keep their fingers off the screens (especially the original flat screens).

I can really imagine the confusion of children of today if they were to be faced with a CRT television or computer monitor.

Microsoft has started in the correct direction. But the idea of making one interface for devices that don't have keyboards and mice and that are meant to be touched and having it work in an environment where there are keyboards and mice and you really want to have lots of open windows, was not such a good one.

They should figure out how to take the good things from the touch world and incorporate them into the multi-window world. They really are two different operating environments and that shouldn't be forgotten.

Microsoft does do good, sometimes great, software. But sometimes it takes them a couple of tries to get it right. I'm patient. I'll be ready when Windows 9 comes out.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Indeed the only thing I don't like is the hard-headedness to not support openGL in ModernUI and webGL on IE
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm sure it will improve quickly, every windows release has had teething issues. Still, if I had it I would definitely revert to legacy mode on a normal PC. For laptops and such it is possibly a better input method if your screen is touch enabled. It's certainly aimed more at casual PC use than say, CAD.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 22:42
bjadams, I do try to understand it from a non-professional programmer point of view. All the code I've ever written has been assuming that my customers really don't know what they are doing and they shouldn't have to know how things work in the background. It is the safest way to write stuff.

As I said, MS has actually started in the right direction to bring computer like devices to more people. But Apple and Android producers have been doing that for a while now. MS has some catching up to do. Some of their ideas are new and good. But, based on the articles I read, they are not intuitive or easy to discover and that is a problem for the non-techies out there. When I got my first Apple products, including my Mac Mini, I loved how easy it was to find and install and work with everything. MS could take some lessons from Apple (yeah, like that is going to happen).

But, I'll repeat, MS must not forget that there are techies out there who still need to use their products. And people who just like to work with multiple things at once and have everything visible. Like a Word or Excel file and some browser that you are getting information from.

They will, eventually, and they'll get the kinks worked out and have a couple of great products - tablet/phone and desktop OS environments.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 22:54
At least it multi-tasks properly, unlike the iOS rubbish!

AL - if Microsoft dropped DirectX very little would work. The DX team were probably the best set of programmers MS have ever employed. IMHO OpenGL is pants in comparison. And DX's audio support is excellent whereas OGL has - err - none. OpenAL is brain dead, which is why AGK's audio support is, frankly, rubbish. Please let's not force PCs and their offspring to drop to lowest common denominator levels.

Love it or hate it, W8 is extremely good at some of the highest-demand functions - like streaming video.

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
The first thing I did on Windows 8 was install Classic Shell, which is a free open source product that brings back the Windows 7 styled start menu. You can set it to always open the start menu with the Windows Key and to open to the desktop by default, thus circumventing the new Windows Start screen (which can still be accessed using another keyboard shortcut when needed). With that addition, I think Windows 8 is alright but will take some time to grow on me. I won't be upgrading my main machine for some time.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2012 02:55
*cough* Buy a Mac *cough*
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2012 05:30 Edited at: 15th Dec 2012 05:31
There isn't any one platform or OS version that will make everyone happy. My main point is that Windows 8, according the the articles I sited, does not work particularly well in any of the environments it is currently targeting.

For every purpose, there is a platform...
but not every platform works for every purpose (or person).

Aside from an actual smart phone (I have a Jitterbug), I have some version of most every small computer platform (OS and hardware) available to the private sector somewhere in my office or home. This includes a bunch of Beaglebone and Arduino projects that my better half is developing.

I've worked in way to many environments to think any one is the best. Each has a good purpose. I would never try to control a satellite with an iPhone. (And I have written satellite monitoring, control and simulation software as well as rocket control software.)

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2012 15:36
Windows8 is microsofts solution to a problem that should not exist, it's their problem, their security issues that it tries to fix.
I have yet to meet a person who wants to use a PC but can't get to grips with Windows7, MS - we are not that bloomin stupid, you don't have to hold our PC at arms length from us.

I only just upgraded to 7 from XP, in fact it's only partial, as I have a dual boot. Frankly, I don't think I'll stop using XP anytime soon, let alone jump on Win 8's child-proof wagon.

Sorry for that rant, really do not like the way Windows is going .

I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more memes.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2012 17:54
Im sure that if more software was compatible with linux, windows would be so dead.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2012 22:44
If Windows was Linux it [/i]would[i] be dead!

I'm far from being a Microsoft lover, but really must say that Windows 7 is by far the best OS I've used or programmed for. World-wide, all of our client academic sites have now moved to W7 from XP, and thanks to some work done by my programmers (and me!) we were in good shape to handle the upgrade, and the only issues were really caused by the reluctance of IT staff to read even the smallest README file, let alone the 25-page detailed technical system manual!

I don't anticipate the world's universities and schools implementing W8 for at least three years, if ever. It may be skipped, like Vista, if W9 comes out later. However, for our single-user software we obviously have to check W8. But no panic, really. It's either that or move to an ancient Unix system, otherwise known as OS X.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Microsoft is going to release a new OS, a W8 update in mid 2013.

Modern UI will still be there, the appstore concept will still be there, all based around the new Windows RT.

So we might as well start getting used to WinRT as Win32 is on the way out.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2012 20:46
Quote: "It's either that or move to an ancient Unix system, otherwise known as OS X."

What about OS X is "ancient"? So it's Unix-based, Linux is Unix-like, and Windows still has (MS-)DOSisms hidden inside it. It is a testament to the design of Unix that it still lives on. Besides, OS X was only released to the public in 2001 - most of it is hardly ancient, and if you think a time-tested, reliable core is a bad thing, I might point you to this article.
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2012 21:38 Edited at: 17th Dec 2012 11:50
Quote: "*cough* Buy a Mac *cough* "

Never.

I personally really like Windows 8. That being said I still only use Desktop and never use the start menu really at all.
But the speed and stability of it is more than worth the change in my books.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2012 21:49
The great thing about Unix is its simplicity. Unix systems are not bound to any particular use or hardware. Its simplicity is what gives OS's such as Linux the ability to run on a huge amount of hardware, old and new. Linux still runs on i386 based PCs released in the 80s yet it also powers most smart phones and 90% of supercomputers, 60 - 70% of web servers run Linux too.

Seeing the amount of hardware and uses Linux runs today without problem leads me to think that its underlying design is very flexible and future proof. And that Linux (and other Unix based OSes) would be able to adapt to future hardware and uses easily (as its done for the past 40 years).

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2012 21:52
Oh dear - why I do keep winding Mac-lovers up? Far too easy.

There's not much DOS left in Windows since NT. Personally I think the W7 core is utterly reliable.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Windows, Unix, Mac or whatever, we are developers here not fanboys or users, we have to deploy on all the most successful platforms these days. I have 16 different machines in this room and the one i use the most is my windows8 pc, but that's just personal preference. the rest are just there for testing.
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2012 23:06 Edited at: 16th Dec 2012 23:07
Quote: "Oh dear - why I do keep winding Mac-lovers up? Far too easy."

My argument had nothing to do with Macs in particular. I was just saying how much more flexible Unix is than Windows. But my main issue with windows is that only one company makes Windows OSes. If your programs only run on Windows and Microsoft start pushing out rubbish releases, how can you upgrade without having to install one of these rubbish releases? The best thing about Unix is not actually the design but its the fact that its an open standard for developing operating systems. To a certain degree, Linux is API compatible with MacOSX and all Linux systems can run the same programs. No lock in and if your vendor starts misbehaving, get a new one!

What would be great is if the Desktop OS world became like the web browser world with lots of vendors competing to create the best OS ever. Another cool thing that would come out of an OS world like that would be some specialized OSes made beginners, gamers, metro lovers, etc.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2012 23:21
I'm with bjadams, I will work with whatever is necessary to do the job. It's what I've been doing for about 35 years (since I first discovered computers, programming in Fortran Watfor Watfiv using punch cards).

(16 different machines? Oh, please, what are they?)

While there are some issues with Window 8 (dropped the 's' on purpose), I have faith that Microsoft will fix them. I suspect that will happen sooner than later and that Microsoft will probably offer a free upgrade to existing Window 8 owners (if they are smart).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2012 23:32
This thread is about how awful W8 is - but it is a certainty that if you say W8 may be better than OS X, a large number of fairies will jump out of the shrubbery trying to spray MacDust over you with their wands.

Unix is NOT an open standard. It dates back to the sixties. I have no issues with Unix at all. However, I do have a bit of an issue with the idea that OS X is some new fairy-dust operating system.

Any idea the Apple is not as greedy as Microsoft is obviously mad.

W8 has its own problems, as it tries to be a tablet and a proper computer at the same time. But the kernel does seem to be very efficient. bjadams is right - we just have to deal with it all as programmers. It's tough!

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2012 23:36 Edited at: 16th Dec 2012 23:46
Quote: "I personally really like Windows 8. That being said I still only use Desktop and never use the start menu really at all.
But the speed and stability ability of it is more than worth the change in my books."

I use my Windows PC mostly for gaming, so I like Windows 8 for the same reasons. It boots up quick and all of my games are available for quick access from the Start Screen. But I haven't really used it for "real" work, so I can't comment on its functionality there.

Quote: "Oh dear - why I do keep winding Mac-lovers up? Far too easy.

There's not much DOS left in Windows since NT. Personally I think the W7 core is utterly reliable."

Well deriding the core of the most popular non-Windows operating systems (OS X, Linux, iOS & Android) is bound to make someone pipe up.

Windows 7 being reliable (which for the most part it is) doesn't preclude Unix being reliable. Simple, stable systems are still used in the cores of modern technologies for a reason.

Quote: " I have 16 different machines in this room"

Are you working in a personal data center?! I have enough trouble finding plugs for my desktop & laptop (+accessories) over here

EDIT: Obviously I need to refresh before posting, yikes!

Quote: "This thread is about how awful W8 is - but it is a certainty that if you say W8 may be better than OS X, a large number of fairies will jump out of the shrubbery trying to spray MacDust over you with their wands."

You never argued that Windows 8 was better, you just said Unix was ancient and gave the impression that it was therefore automatically lousy in comparison. And nobody here has said anything about Apple not being as greedy as Microsoft or any other such nonsense. I mean, kaedroho was talking about Linux and he's said as much as I have!

It doesn't seem to matter whether the target is Apple or Microsoft or Google, somebody will always treat those who actually like the products like unintelligent sheep worshipping their 'god'. Are you only safe from this attitude if you just proclaim to hate everything?
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2012 00:27
I think somebody said that buying a Mac was the solution.

Could somebody explain why criticising Microsoft is fair game, but the slightest hint of criticism of Apple brings vast numbers of Undead out of the graves on a hunting mission? The idea that the core of OS X and iOS is some novel wonderfulness is what I was complaining about. It isn't.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2012 00:33
Quote: "Unix is NOT an open standard."

You're correct there. Its an OS. But all Unix and Unix like operating systems are built on open standards (the standard is called POSIX). This makes Unix awesome because anyone can make a Unix-like operating system that runs Unix apps and they wouldn't get sued for it.

In my opinion, all OSes should be built on open standards. This allows developers to build an app that runs on all of them, giving users a choice on which OS they use.

It also allows people like Valve to build an OS for their upcoming "steambox" which will run games built for Linux.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2012 00:37 Edited at: 17th Dec 2012 00:40
Quote: "I think somebody said that buying a Mac was the solution.

Could somebody explain why criticising Microsoft is fair game, but the slightest hint of criticism of Apple brings vast numbers of Undead out of the graves on a hunting mission? The idea that the core of OS X and iOS is some novel wonderfulness is what I was complaining about. It isn't."

Suggesting to buy a Mac (in a joking manner no less) is no different than suggesting Linux or staying with Windows 7 - it is an alternative.

And while I'm flattered that I qualify as a vast horde of undead (seeing as I must once again stress that I'm the only one here who has defended Apple's OS specifically), I still fail to see where I suggested Unix is the magical all powerful oracle of OS wonderfulness that was brought forth by God on a silver platter than was in fact platinum.

The core of Windows is fine so far as I know. I never suggested otherwise. All I said was that Unix being so 'ancient' is not necessarily a bad thing. It's obviously stood the test of time and Unix-like systems (like Linux) live on in a lot of places. With Windows so pervasive it is hard to imagine that Unix would have lived on simply because some old hat willed it to.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2012 00:47
I think id find an apple 2e more delightfull then apples new stuff...lol

Just kidden.

I agree with not liking the way windows is heading...but i equaly dont like apples propriatary ways...eg there apple store/or how you need to have itunes just to use your dang ipod....what a load of crud.

This is partialy why im switching all my coding efforts to the blackberry playbook and windows pcs only....keeping my fingers crossed that what i make for windows actualy works....lol

At least by using agk i know i have something that will run on all playbooks...or other supported systems.

I just hope tgc decides to add more support for blackberry devices in the future.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2012 02:46
By the way, I do love my Mac Mini. It gives me yet another fun toy (not meant as a derogative, all my computers and tables are my 'toys') to try new things (and old) with.

I just love that I can now get a 3 terabyte external drive that is less than the size of a paperback and costs less than $200. Back in the day when I was selling PC clones (I never did grey market IBM PCs), I could sell a 5 megabyte internal drive the same physical size for a few thousand dollars. And that was a good price.

Computers, operating systems and programming are wonderful things to play with.

My wonderful hubby thinks he will get some portable device with Windows 8 just to play with it. He likes to play with computers as well. We're a good fit. So, if he gets one, I'll be able to make my opinions based on the actual thing and not just depending on reviews by knowledgable sources.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Airslide, I don't have a data centre, I just have 1 work room! i have 2 windows 8 laptops, 2 ultrabooks, 1 windows 8 desktop, 1 windows 7 desktop, 1 mac mini, 1 macbook, ipad, iphone, ipod touch, playbook, bb10, 2 anroid 2.3 tablets, nexus7, 2 android 4.0 phones, 1 ubuntu desktop, 8bit msx, amiga 500, amiga 1200 and some consoles
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2012 23:24
Wow... uhh, I don't realy see the reason for having duplicates
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2012 00:08
bj - kiss the Amigas for me. I don't have any left. In terms of utter software perfection, Carl Sassenrath's Exec for the Amiga has never been surpassed. It would have been a far better base for mobile phones and tablets than what we have now. Exec made the Mac operating system look like juvenile crayons on the wall; Apple knew this, and were relieved when the Commodore management totally blew the opportunity to take over the then slender business market.

Carl and his father came over from California to the last Amiga Buxton developer conference, and I showed him the first CD-writing program for the Amiga. I couldn't show him it working, because CD blanks then cost £25 and the Philips CD writer (the only real device available) cost about £3,000. I had the writer and some blanks, but only could afford to do it live on the final conference session the next day, where it actually worked and joy descended.

Exec was tiny, but did perfect pre-emptive multitasking. Far ahead of anything from Apple or IBM at that time, or those and Microsoft since. So kiss those baby computers: they have exemplary things in their hearts.

How nice it would be to have something as small and tight as Exec today. We have a sprawling mess, it seems to me, on all platforms. Nothing, anywhere, that I've seen is good as that.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2012 03:46
Thank you for the list, bj. It is a good one. You have an even better setup for testing than me. I'm jealous. (But don't tell my husband, he'll go and buy me more toys.)

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 18th Dec 2012 06:38
I tried the Win8 Consumer Preview, and quite simply, I hate it.
I'm sure that it would be good with a touch screen for non-tech user who want to pretend to be techies. But it's not for me, I'm simply to used to using windows the way it is with 7. Windows 8 is also far slower than 7, I can't really get it to work on my 10 year old Dell Latitude C610. While 7 works fine

Not sure how this has anything to do with AppGameKit though

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Jim just for your information, many many years ago I had gutted the A1200 and built the mobo into a tower case. i sawed and modified the a1200 case into a keyboard! i built all kind of diy projects to attach hard drives etc. the a500 yellowed over time so i spray painted it black with a cool crackled texture!

it's incredible how these machines never fail and keep on working after all these years
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
AL I'm getting a Win8 RT tablet for Xmas! Still need to see where I can get a Win8 mobile!!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
MissJoJo, 2 of my windows8 machines are coreduo with nvidia mobile gfx cards, not exactly new hardware and it works fast and flawless... games play better on these 2 laptops than on ultrabook!!!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Jim, indeed the Amiga was a true milestone for home computing. In many parts of Europe, 1 in 8 homes had an Amiga! It was everywhere and totally dominated the home computer scene!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
TheZoq, if someone comes to you and gives you a 6 months old Android 2.3 phone because their phone contract expired and the phone company are going to give them a new one. Would you say no? That's the advantage of having many girlfriends!!!!!
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2012 08:55
@bjadams: Mate, there's an edit post button.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2012 10:29
Ouch 5 posts, not a record but...

Please use the edit button. Also this thread is deteriorating and was pretty off topic to begin with (although an interesting discussion).

Unless anyone has anything AGKish to say I think we could leave this conversation here or maybe move it to Geek Culture where a new batch of opinions will surely follow

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2012 13:58
Well - it does express some opinions on whether AppGameKit should use DX on W8 rather than OpenGL.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2012 14:14
Quote: "Well - it does express some opinions on whether AppGameKit should use DX on W8 rather than OpenGL."

Agreed, I just thought that it was worth getting back on track or leaving before we end up talking to the mock turtle about the lobster quadrille. There has been a lot of random offtopicness (just invented that work and me likey).

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2012 17:09
Quote: "Not sure how this has anything to do with AppGameKit though"

AGK will need to be able to work in Windows 8.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 03:41:15
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 03:41:15