Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Yup, Windows 8 falls to the 'every other Microsoft OS bites it' syndrome

Author
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
AGK already works almost-fine in Windows8 desktop mode.

I couldn't get a fullscreen app to minimize without crashing. On Windows7 the same code works perfectly.

Maybe someone found a solution for that?

In due course I think Lee has to finalise the ogl-to-dx stuff he already has and implement into AppGameKit to get us a windows modern ui version of agk.

Windows store is growing little by little and i think over the next year it will become a must-develop-for. They are trying to be really picky what apps to approve, and I fully agree with that. I would prefer a store with 10,000 great apps than something like the apple appstore with hundreds of thousands of apps, and 2/3 of them being totally useless or ugly or clones!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2012 23:33
Quote: "Maybe someone found a solution for that?"

This might work once the full v108 is done, or not. But I don't have any Windows 8 machines set up and don't plan on it anytime soon. And it would cost a bit too much to upgrade my VMware to accommodate Windows 8 right now.

Quote: "it will become a must-develop-for"

Possibly very true. But I suspect I'll wait. At this point I'm not sure I'll produce for PCs at all. I have to look at how the process works.

The question I have is whether it works to create a Windows AppGameKit app in Windows 7 and then have it run on a Windows 8 computer? My hubby is thinking about getting one just to play with it.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2012 23:47
There's obviously a BIG difference between WindowsRT and running on Intel. That, for me, has totally confused things. I reckon we should monitor what is happening over the next few months. Sales of the Surface RT version are not great. But still a market, if we could deliver to it.

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I couldn't get a fullscreen app to minimize without crashing. On Windows7 the same code works perfectly.

Maybe someone found a solution for that?"

If you create a blank Hello World app and run it fullscreen on Windows 8, you should find that it won't crash when minimizing. So this problem is code-related and something that can usually be resolved, it's just a matter of pinpointing the problem. Admittedly that isn't easy since the crashing doesn't happen on Windows. In my case that issue happened due to the sprite depth being too high (I now keep them all under 1000) and also due to cloning sprites that had sprite sheet animation data.
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2012 01:17
Quote: "The question I have is whether it works to create a Windows AppGameKit app in Windows 7 and then have it run on a Windows 8 computer?"

I can confirm that this works fine with everything I have written with AppGameKit so far. (Including 3D stuff with the new 1.08 beta's)

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@AL, AppGameKit apps created for windows exe run fine in Windows8 desktop mode

@Xcept, I use cloning of animated spritesheets. I only use depths upto 99. If the problem is the cloning, then I see now way how I can fix it from my side, as I need to use cloning, I cannot load the same sprites over and over again from file
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2012 16:01
Thanks bjadams, good to know.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Lost Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
The AppGameKit software I was developing in Win 7 works and compiles ok under Win 8.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 20:27:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 20:27:47