Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Error messages in IDE

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2012 14:06
It would be great if the error messages reported by AppGameKit during app execution were retained within the message window at the bottom of the editor.
At the moment I have to write down the line number and error before closing down the app.
It would also be nice to report which media file was causing the problem (if any involved) too.

Just some thoughts.

AgentSam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2012 15:04
I sort of agree. Let's talk more and think about this...

It would be nice if AppGameKit TIER 1 runtime errors, as well as compiler errors, were simply output to stdout or stderr.

It would simplify my life (and hopefully the life of many other AppGameKit developers), because I do not use the built-in Code::Blocks based IDE.

Therefore, if errors we output to stdout/stderr, I could use my third-party editor to capture the output, and it could take me directly to the error line. (Assuming that all error messages also output the offending line number, and message, in a semi-standardized way, which can be easily captured with a simple regexp.)

So.. I think this idea requires some finetuning, but after we reach a consensus on how it should be implemented, we could post this on the AppGameKit bugboard as a feature request. (As if TGC didn't have their hands full just working on existing bugs and feature requests -- but that's another matter.)

Also, since sending messages to stdout/stderr would require having a console window open when the app is executed, I would also be happy, if the error messages were output to a file... Or there could be a new command-line parameter, which enables error output to stdout/stderr when the application is started, as needed.

In any case... I was never fond of those popup dialog-type error messages either.

Cheers,
AgentSam - The grumpy old software engineer
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2012 17:11
The error information is stored in a file called ErrorReport.txt in the media directory.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
AgentSam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2012 18:19 Edited at: 18th Dec 2012 18:26
The usefulness of the "ErrorReport.txt" file is rather limited...

I just opened the file from a random old project folder, and this is the text it contained:

"Failed to 'UnfoldIncludes'"

It doesn't seem to contain line numbers (not for the above message anyway), or any indication of whether this was a compiler error or a runtime error (based on the message itself, I would guess it has been a compiler error).

Certainly the error messages could be improved and their format revised, standardized and documented.

Some questions:
- Are compiler errors written to ErrorReport.txt?
- Are runtime error written to ErrorReport.txt?
- If a third party editor were to detect the occurrance of a new runtime error in a recently executed project, would the editor simply have to poll the modification date/time of the ErrorReport.txt file to detect that a new message is present within ErrorReport.txt ? Or it could delete ErrorReport.txt everytime before executing a project, and then check if ErrorReport.txt exists, to know if an error occurred?

Cheers,
AgentSam - The grumpy old software engineer

EDIT: Well, in the meantime, I think I'll delve deeper into ErrorReport.txt and see what it shows for different intentionally created errors. There might be some use for it after all. x)
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2012 18:23
I know it shows compiler errors. I'd have to create a deliberate run time error to test it. And I'm in the middle of something else right now.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 14:51:21
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 14:51:21