Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / My 2013 resolutions... and yours?

Author
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 13th Nov 2013 04:22
Umm do you know how to make flags?

Sorry for short replies, but I am sure you know I am busy recently

Thanks!

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2013 05:19
what do you mean by flag?

And I get yah bro.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2013 10:55 Edited at: 13th Nov 2013 10:57
Well, place it at the start, make a global variable before the loop, set it as a book, set it to 0, run your loop...

InitFlag = 0

Do

//code from bottom
If InitFlag = 0
InitFlag = 1
Exit //Woops moved this down
Else
Run bottom code
Endif

// code at top

Loop

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2013 22:39
for some reason your code makes my program end. I'm not quit sure what I need to do with it. :\

also what's a book data type? I tried looking it up but it just gives me links to books about Dark Basic.

here is my loop.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2013 23:01
tYou can change the exit to a go to and put the label just after the if-endif

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2013 04:22
what label?
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2013 10:36 Edited at: 14th Nov 2013 10:36
Look up labels in the documentation

EDIT
I mean GOTO command

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2013 19:55
what should the "goto" go to?
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2013 04:39
Don't you know the basic commands?

Have you got Hands on DBPro Volume One?

If not, press F1 inside DBPro for the basics...

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2013 05:36 Edited at: 15th Nov 2013 15:49
ohhhhh I see what you meant. my brain just now made the connection after I saw your edit to your last post. for some reason I though you meant a label that already existed. :\

well it seems to work quite well now. but I had to ramp the default speeds up by like a freak-en lot. But it runs smooth now. Even with four local players.

Thanks Val. Sorry I was not getting it XD

I'm going to do some stress tests later. I'll let you know how they go.

Mmmm... well it does not really seem to work that well. it now just has spikes were it speeds up.

Also how is your booth?
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2013 21:59
Update on mine.

On the losing weight front, still losing it. Aiming for a total of 3 stone loss by Christmas, I think it can be done. Oh and the challenge will be to lose weight NOT gain weight over the Christmas period, doubt me? Well, instead of cider and other high calorie booze, I'm resorting to spirits and diet coke. Most meat isn't fattening if you don't use oil, don't eat it with fat or skin. And of course, Christmas dinner is stuffed full of veg anyway.

On the writing job front, frankly, I've decided I'd rather do a job I enjoy, so I am branching out and building on my IT skills, I am going to be starting the first of my Microsoft Certifications tomorrow. I'll then use said certification to help me get a technical author job at an IT-based company, failing that, getting an IT job, .NET technology seems to be quite common in Cambridgeshire, so my Certifications will be in .NET. A recruitment agency thinks it's realistic for me to aim for February for a job after passing my first certification exam, naturally I am skeptical of that due to my previous job hunting experience, but hey it's something to aim for. It's amazing how motivating hating your job is.

Er...everything else, maybe this certification will encourage me to work on my game lol.

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 04:50 Edited at: 26th Nov 2013 04:51
Sounding good bro.

Quote: "and diet coke"

you sure? diet soda is worse for you from what I hear.

Quote: "On the writing job front, frankly, I've decided I'd rather do a job I enjoy,"

lol yah do that.

as for me I'm still working on my next update. I've been working on it a lot. I'm working on base kind of code. As of now you can only load a world then run in it. I'm setting it up to work like a real game where you can win a level, then advance to the next one until you run out. In which case to then announce the player has won.

I'm half way done. the system will now load levels in sets instead of one from a list. I just need to add it so when the players reach the goal the system will then print each players score, Then load the next map in the file. (it will work in a mini campaign style. You tell the game what file to use and it will load each one until it runs out, Then it will print each players score and announce the winner)
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 17:38
Me, oh well 10 days to launch a non-started project lol

Sepp, I have considered buying a weighing scale recently... possibly my 2014 resolution sits along one of yours...

South, [Or North >.<] When do we get a demo!!

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 18:15
@Mr val

hopefully by the end of the day the system should be done.

Quote: " South, [Or North >.<]"
what? XD
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 21:33
Quote: "what? XD "

Haha exactly ^^

I feel like a lazy imbecile... I just do not know... I want something made and released, maybe I will work on my basic intro App... yeah will start on it tomorrow! I got a few days off from going to the shop, so I best make use of the time!

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 01:16
Quote: " I want something made and released"

good gravy welcome to my world >.< though it will happen! I still feel kind of lazy though. Stupid Heroes is only the second true game I've made in all my years programming. (like 4)

It's not that bad though. I've really only programed for like one and a half of them. before I just kind of modded the example programs.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 02:05
We started around a year apart here, interesting...

I think I will settle for my simple informational app for now... Which will likely be free and then later lead to several paid apps... Including possibly a desktop app...

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 06:17
Sounds good.

Well I've hit a delay for my release. some weird things are happening. But they are going out well. It's just small things I did not think about when I first coded the map loading. I'm hoping by the end of the week I'll be done with this.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 14:01
North - you hit that wall and go right through it!!

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2013 05:05 Edited at: 30th Nov 2013 06:57
well I'm having a lot of issues apparently.

Most are just things I need to steamroll though, But I do have one question.

For some reason the next level lights completely black. with the first being normal.

edit:

Never mind I got it. I forgot to add the sun back when I used LM reset. so it lit blank. >.<

well other than that the update is almost done! The game now has a goal that when reached will start the next level. It will crash when it runs out of levels. But that's easy.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2013 10:34
Are you using dark lights? I think you can clear all lights in a single call at each level change...

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2013 15:47
Quote: "Never mind I got it. I forgot to add the sun back when I used LM reset. so it lit blank. >.<"
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2013 13:59
Figures

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2013 18:21 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2013 18:22
Yep.
Well I've got some bad news. Due to events outside of my control I can't finish stupid heroes. I can't get on my computer for who knows how long. And even if I got it back before the due date I would not have enough time. So I'm canceling it.

I did want to say thanks for the encouragement though. especially you Mr Val. thanks bro.

I'm going to say I did my resolution though. I worked on this project just about every day and it really started to look and feel like a game. It's just outside of my control.

I'll see you guys sometime in the future.

Bye.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2013 21:45
Sorry to hear that, do chime into the 2014 Resolutions thread when you get back

You did good, I am yet to fiddle with Networking, so consider yourself well done!

Hope things turn in your favour in a good way, see you around!

V

DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2013 00:32
I've stalled for so long. Only progress I made on my 3d model was only starting animation on blender and test exporting it to darkbasic pro and to see how it looks. Whenever I have time I will post up pics.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2013 00:34
DevilLiger - Keep at it buddy!

As you can see I just added more weight to my scales... [banner]

Mind you I am making decent headway on my first app!!! I will post a thread in GC on it soon!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2013 19:21
Argh, what a time of the year for dental issues to drop up...

Going for my third dental visit on Thursday...

Anyway I have almost completed stage 1 of my app and hope to submit it and get it onto the store soon...

I have included a small BIO in my app on me ^^

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2013 05:24 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2013 05:24
well I'm back. sorry to see so little chat since I left Guess I'm loud then
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Dec 2013 06:42
We should make a new thread on resolutions since this one is outdated.

Does MrValentine want to start a new one?

Make your pledge today!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2013 11:23
Prolly be a good idea to wait till 2014.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2013 11:55
I will keep to tradition and post the 2014 thread after midnight on January 1st 2014, as I did the same with this one and the previous one

I have to alter one of mine, as I think I will only manage to submit it but not get it approved in time oh well, there is always 2014 ^^

Lets all go back on our achievements and resolutions and mark them off now

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Dec 2013 17:12
Ah yes, good idea. I had the original post date wrong. Oops!

I didn't really follow my resolutions, but since I didn't set them until mid-August, I'm not that surprised.

Make your pledge today!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2013 17:19 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2013 17:20
Yodaman Jer, post #333 epic haha!

My list thus far... [bold means achieved]

- Publish more Apps...

- Create more user oriented content to help others learn new skills...

- Compete in more competitions

- Develop my skills further

- Make at least 1 Market [As in Android Play Market, Steam, Apple Store, MS Store etc...] published Application...

- Become a good Cook / Baker again...

- Succeed in Inspiring others...

Well I suppose I did well this year... just two short, which honestly are connected as such... I will attempt them for next year, my line up for 2014 is already quite immense!

EDIT

Fixed line spacing issue from copy paste

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2013 22:18
Didn't make any... at least if I did I forgot them all.
Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2013 03:26 Edited at: 26th Dec 2013 03:27
I've started my next project now. I'm using the skills I learned halfway though development in my last one. have to say it's MUCH, much cleaner, too the point, less spaghetti like, and with less strain on the system. I don't know how I made it as far as I did!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2013 03:52
Well done!

I achieved somewhere around 71-72% of my goals for this year, I have a lot to plan over the coming days... and very little time to do so...

I really could use a holiday around about now!

Expect the new 2014 thread slightly past midnight after the new year

I have to compile a list yes, compile a list of my goals for next year, as they are far greater than this year! and with a new forum imminent, exciting times ahead!

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 26th Dec 2013 04:22
Mine were not completed

oh well

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2013 16:26
easter bunny, there is always next year

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2013 22:38
Good Bye 2013, you have been beautiful!

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2014 00:11 Edited at: 1st Jan 2014 02:52
my 2013 report.

make demo for awesome game: incomplete.
I bit off more than I could chew with this. I'll tag it again when I can. But I need more small games under my belt. learning fast though!

Eat better: complete!
Still eat more junk food then I should. But a great improvement. went from 2 sodas a day to 3 a week! my candy cut back is about the same. I've also looked for healthy alternatives and stock like styles. I buy a pay cycles worth every payday and when it's gone that's it.

make a complete game by the end of the year: complete in spirit.
I feel bad about this as I was really looking foreword to releasing a full game. But I'm just going to have to take that yearning and use it in my new current project. Even though I was not able to complete it due to events outside my control I did work on it as though I was going to. and a lot of good code was done with some nice skills learned. I tackled networking, shading, data storage, lighting, story progress, world collision, AI, and sandbox. so I'll say I completed this one. at least in spirit.

my thoughts on 2013:

2013 was a hard year for me in terms of family health, relations, and personal views on myself and my need for a "just do it" attitude. although this year hurt me a lot in terms of seeing my family suffer from illness. it also was a good year for growth. This is the first year I started to take life seriously after failing school yet again I just decided I had enough. It also was the year my first nephew was born in. That was exiting.

My relationship with certain family members was put to the braking point. I just about had no choice but to walk out and cut my losses. But I felt God tug at me to just see it though. and I'm glad I did. certain bonds are still weak. But grounds for improvement were placed, even they don't see it they are there.

So as the sun sets on 2013 I looked at the sun set and though about what I want. and I feel 2014 is the year my life gets started. I've started mapping my life. to see what I want to do with it, and not just what would be fun as I have been. there is so much I want to do. I want to make games, write stories, draw comics, and make movies. all of which I will discuss in your 2014 resolutions.

2013 was a painful year. But it was not a bad year. it striped me of my pride and showed me that I need to improve. that I was not in the right I though I was. I knew I was not perfect, but it did show me my own arrogance and pride. I feel as though God has been pruning me. I feel that I am now more honest with myself. and that 2014 was designed for me.

So I. Zachary Rosch. despite the hardships of the year. thank it. for now I see what I must do.

Sorry to get a little deep with you guys. Just felt like it needed to be said. and I'm done under speaking myself.

See you all in 2014. looking foreword to it.

bye past life. thank you for your safety. But you are no longer needed. I must expand my horizons and my comfort zone.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2014 00:22 Edited at: 4th Mar 2014 05:06
You did pretty well in my opinion, I think you achieved ALPHA Stage complete and are about to enter BETA, consider your new years resolution to work on the BETA?

EDIT

Testing 2

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2014 00:32
lol I posted too soon. read it for an updated view.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-11 15:57:43
Your offset time is: 2024-05-11 15:57:43