Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Having some issues with T2 V108 BETA 6

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2013 21:15 Edited at: 5th Jan 2013 21:20
So I updated to the latest T1 AppGameKit build hoping to get some of the bugs out of my project. However I ran into a few problems that hopefully some one might be able to explain more on.

The first is a compiler error: "declaration name '100)' is not valid at line whatever."
When I checked out the line associated with the error it is always a variable declaration like so

Not sure why its happening but I was able to find a fix around it by randomizing the variable after its declared.

The secound is a little odd because once the application is finished compiling it will tell me that it failed to load any of my images/music/create sprites and etc because there ID must be greater than 0 at line whatever. I always declare my ID's as
,so i had no idea what was causing the problem. I tired removing "as integer" and it seemed to fix the problem. Is there some new rule to declaring ID's or something that I missed out on?

So once I got these problems fixed I was finally able to compile (which takes some time but I know that's being worked out) and launched the game. Although afterwards nothing happened, just a black screen with nothing happening.So i have no idea what going on here. Help?

I was sure to uninstall the last build of AppGameKit before upgrading and etc,although I have to ask if I should be using control panel to uninstall or the uninstaller provided with AppGameKit?.

Just to clarify I'm using windows 8, and running AppGameKit in compatibility mode for windows 7 with administrator permissions.

Lastly I tried making a new project and testing it out but I still got the same two errors as before, although the new application started fine and had to problems afterwards. So I'm thinking that my old project is getting corrupted or something? I also tried copying and pasting all my code into a new project but still got the same black screen with nothing happening. At this point I'm just lost and figuring to convert back to V1076, which was always stable for me.

//simpleprogram

Programming and video games, what else could you need?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2013 21:30

The compiler doesn't know how to deal with everything in one line. This is a known issue that was way low on the fix priority list because it is easy to take care of in code.

You can try removing the 'as integer' because 'flyersrnd' and 'exampleID ' are integer by default. Or remove the assignment on the same line and do it on the next:

Have you tried running the executable created directly and not from within the AppGameKit IDE? This sometimes fixes the issue.

Also, there may have been files left over from the old build (v1076?) in the media directory that may be confusing things. It is good to delete the <proj>.byc file manually and files named SourceCode.byc and SourcCode.txt from the media directory.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
SimpleProgram
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2013 21:46
@ancient lady

Thanks for the info,

Its seems a bit inconvenient to have to assign values to variables on a different line ever time I declare a variable, but Its fine so long as it has fixed the compile errors.

I tired running the standalone executable and still nothing , just the black screen.

I have also tried deleting all the old source files in the media directed but still nothing as well.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2013 23:33
If a new project with the same files works, when the old one doesn't, it sounds like AppGameKit is remembering something somewhere.

I know that it has files stored elsewhere. There was one in particular (that I don't recall the name/location of) that needed to be deleted sometimes because it hosed up the IDE.

And, assuming the new one works, go with it and don't spend time trying to fix something that is probably outside of our ability.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
SimpleProgram
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2013 00:10
Well that's just the thing,

I tired two things,the first being a brand new project (just the standard default
, which worked fine.

Then all of my code copied from the previous project into the new one, which did not work. So maybe something in my code or the source file associated with it?

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2013 00:28
Then it sounds like there might be an issue with your code. Since you haven't posted very much to look at, we can't help with that.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
SimpleProgram
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2013 01:04 Edited at: 6th Jan 2013 04:30
Well I don't mind posting it because i really don't think anyway one here would do anything.

Here is a text file of my main code, 4000 lines worth. (sorry its a bit messy). Media is also included if you want to compile and see if it works.

I also tried compiling other games I have, but I just get the same issue of the black screen. At this point I just want to get this figured out so i can start working again, or i'll just have to revert back to buggy v107.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2013 03:53
At the moment, I don't have time to go through an entire program to figure out what the issue might be.

Have you tried incrementally executing it? Load stuff, display a message. Then add something else in your setup and display a message, etc.?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
SimpleProgram
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2013 04:04
I guess that's what ill just have to do, it just seems strange to me that the problem is occurring in all of my projects.

SimpleProgram
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2013 04:59 Edited at: 6th Jan 2013 05:00
WOOT!

Got it figured out!

Turns out that a string was casing the game not to move forward in the code, so It was a pretty simple fix after all. Now to fix all my variables...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 12:34:34
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 12:34:34