Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Star Wars VII: JJ Abrams to direct

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2013 18:41
Quote: "Sci-fi director JJ Abrams will head up the seventh Star Wars film, Lucasfilm owner Walt Disney Co has said.

Star Wars creator George Lucas said he was the "ideal choice" to direct the movie - due out in 2015 - adding "the legacy couldn't be in better hands"."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21214040

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2013 18:49
I feel this is going to be a gag-reel, showing off as many special effects as possible and appealing to the lowest common denominator. My thoughts are pretty much unfounded but still I have a hunch the new films won't be going into much depth with the story or characters. But I hope I'm proven wrong

"everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes." - Phaelax
Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2013 19:27
Nnh... My immediate thought when I heard this was Star Wars Episode VII: The Lens Flare Strikes Back. Not a huge JJ Abrams fan, but the new Star Trek and Super 8 were pretty good...

Cheesehead for life.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2013 20:45
Let's get that guy who did Star Trek, that's the same thing right?

Meanwhile...
Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2013 21:25
Quote: "Let's get that guy who did Star Trek, that's the same thing right?"

I don't know, JJ Abrams is a pretty bright bloke I reckon. Two of his other films, Cloverfield and Super 8, also had the potential to be similar to each other but they really weren't - I think he's very genre savvy and won't make Star Wars anything like Star Trek. But we'll see

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2013 00:08
Quote: "I feel this is going to be a gag-reel, showing off as many special effects as possible and appealing to the lowest common denominator. My thoughts are pretty much unfounded but still I have a hunch the new films won't be going into much depth with the story or characters. But I hope I'm proven wrong"

Haha, cuz the original wasn't a special effects supershow or nothing

Visit my blog http://www.canales.me.
Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2013 00:20
When I was a little kid I had such a love for star wars.(the original first three,which by stupid obfuscation are now the second three)

I was mortified by the "digital enhancements" made to the originals, I found the second three films (which by stupid obfuscation are now the first three) plasticy and terrible. I wanted to love them because it was star wars, but meh. crap.

They can't possibly do any worse, so lets hope he does better.
It really is sad that star wars has become the joke it is today.

Such a brilliant Original series wasted, then backtracked and stomped all over. George Lucas really has a lot to answer for.

I'm not a complete idiot -- Some parts are just missing.
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2013 00:45
I don't really care who directs them, at this point it's been done to death.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 30th Jan 2013 06:34
Well I for one, am looking forward to Star Wars 7!

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2013 06:37
As long as he doesn't lens-flare Star Wars to death, like he did with the first Trek; it should be alright.

-Keith

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2013 07:10
I can't wait. I was excited when Zac Snyder was mentioned, as he could do an amazing version with real weight, but JJ Abrams is a great choice. He'll be very careful with it, and even if it follows the same "really good but doesn't become spectacular" vibe of his last few films, it will be a really solid effort. Geeze I can't wait to see the extended Universe!

ZacDuff.com
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
I didn't notice the lens flare while I was watching Star Trek, and I watched it twice in theaters.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I didn't notice the lens flare while I was watching Star Trek"

How did you miss it? Way too overused.

They see me coding, they hating. http://indi-indicium.blogspot.co.uk/
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2013 19:15
Whatever happens with it I think it's the perfect time for a new person to take over: the original saga is complete, and the last three were pretty underwhelming. It's a great opportunity for him to make something really special.

Meanwhile...
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2013 19:48
Quote: "and the last three were pretty underwhelming"

matter of opinion I suppose^^

I see nothing wrong with a new guy taking over either - if he fail he will nto have "ruined star wars", because what we all know and love - the first 6, will still be what they are.

Whose eyes are those eyes?
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "the first 3"

They see me coding, they hating. http://indi-indicium.blogspot.co.uk/
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2013 15:04
I personally thought Ep.I was okay, II was enjoyable but III was terrible: Honestly, the "making of" dvd was a far better watch than the film itself!

Meanwhile...
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2013 15:44
Quote: " personally thought Ep.I was okay, II was enjoyable but III was terrible"

and for me its 1 was awesome, 2 was not at all very enjoyable and 3 war also really good
x)

ionstream
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2013 17:33
There were only 3 Star Wars movies. 1 2 and 3 were unofficial fan parodies that did a really good job making fun of terrible filmmakers nowadays. Great stuff.

I loved LOST and I liked Star Trek (2009), so I hope his Star Wars ends up tonally being a combination of the two. Star Trek was fun and lighthearted but with barely any character development, and LOST was huge on character development but not an action packed thriller. The original Star Wars had perfect amounts of both, and I hope JJ Abrams does the same.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2013 08:34
I'm not that amped about another film but we'll see. Usually though, and let's face reality here, more "new versions" of older films try and bring in a new fan base and that usually annoys existing fans. I mean the latest three (eps 1..3) were fun and enjoyable but I don't think they were a masterpiece story-wise (well, to be fair we knew where they were going, lol).
It's my humble, lowly opinion that the Star Wars franchise has been almost as milked to death as the Final Fantasy franchise.
Still, "we shall see" as they say. Perhaps I'm wrong, but one cannot blame me for my pessimistic outlook, especially where the current incarnation Disney is concerned.

Silence is golden, duct tape is silver
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2013 15:11
Quote: "Films built around existing characters from the Star Wars universe are being developed alongside the new trilogy of films, the Disney studio has revealed. "We are working on a few stand-alone films... derived from great Star Wars characters," Disney CEO Bob Iger told the CNBC channel on Tuesday."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21349152

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2013 01:38
Quote: "All of us Star Wars fans are incredibly excited to see what awaits us in this new Star Wars trilogy that will give us Episodes 7, 8 and 9 of George Lucas' epic story. Today, MarketSaw is reporting some details of those films, and one of the main things revealed is that Luke Skywalker will be a primary focus of these movies! MarketSaw has a very solid inside source feeding them this information. It was the same source that revealed earlier this year that episodes 7, 8 and 9 were coming so it's hard not to believe what is being reported here. What I'm trying to say is, that this is a solid source, and I believe it."

http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/11/2/luke-skywalker-to-be-primary-focus-of-new-star-wars-trilogy.html?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_35551

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2013 15:13
Star Wars: George Lucas hints at cast 'reunion'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21713361

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2013 15:39
Quote: "Ewan McGregor's admitted he would rather return to play Obi-Wan Kenobi in the new Star Wars films, over anyone else. "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/21595978

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2013 14:30
I can't see why Han Solo would be involved in any future storyline, unless it focused on him exclusively: he's not the sort who would hang around.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2013 14:24
New Star Wars film yearly from 2015

Quote: "Disney has said a new Star Wars film will appear yearly from 2015, alternating between new episodes in the space saga and spinoff character films."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22197797

Oh dear.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2013 17:30
I dont mind at all - that sounds great to me. Provided they dont make it suck completly of course, if it's decent, then why not? <3

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2013 13:20
Quote: " the new films won't be going into much depth with the story or characters"

the old ones didn't either. They where fun space adventure flicks and dang good at that.

I dont care who directs the new one... even Rocco Siffredi would direct a better star wars flick than george Lucas.

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
Without struggle,no progress and no result.Every breaking of habit produces a change in the machine.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2013 02:47 Edited at: 20th Apr 2013 02:50
Quote: "Oh dear."

Oh dear, oh dear.

Well looks like they're set to milk this into oblivion. When Disney are finished with it no one will ever want to hear the name Star Wars again. Or even worse the movies will be utter garbage yet get swallowed up by idiots who will watch anything, Star Wars becomes the new highest grossing film franchise of all time. I can see it now, I can see Luke Skywalker entering a street-dance contest, I can see that actually happening! And they will replace the main theme with a wicked-sick dubstep remix! Aaah! Make it stop!

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2013 02:57
Oh oh, I really dont like the "ermagawd, they will make star wars popular" feeling...

or rather "they will ruin star wars by... making star wars movies!" feeling

Well - I shall go on playing SW:TOR and excitedly await the movies. You can never have too much star wars.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2013 13:54
Quote: "Disney finalises release date for next Star Wars movie

The Walt Disney Company has announced it will release the next Star Wars film on 18 December 2015.

Disney bought Lucasfilm, the company behind Star Wars, from creator George Lucas last year for $4bn (£2.6bn).

It has committed to making at least three new films in the series, one of the most successful franchises ever."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24862359

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2013 16:23
now there's date, I wonder how many 'count down' pages have already appeared.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2013 21:48
JJ is a smart guy, I've not seen any bad films created by him.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 13:55:14
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 13:55:14