Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Left Handed vs Right Handed Controls - Can they be swapped easily?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2013 12:22
Hi everyone, my Android Tablet game has a fair number of controls for controlling a Battleship (engine thrust forward/reverse, 3 turrets, 3 Gunners, Torpedoes, Mines, port, starbard, etc...), which I need to list on one side of the screen the other depending on the users dominant hand.

I'd like to figure out a way to put them in a panel and slide the entire panel from one side of the screen to the other to accommodate both the lefties and the righties.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or any ideas at all of how to implement a scheme like this other than asking the user which is their dominant hand when starting the game.

Many thanks in advance ....

----
From the Desk of Prof Versaggi ...
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2013 15:33
I suspect your best bet will actually have a setting that lets the user set the handedness.

If you try to do it such that the user can swipe the control panel across from one side to the other, you may run into usage issues where this happens accidentally and then the user gets annoyed.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
ProfVersaggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2013 19:43
Good point .....

----
From the Desk of Prof Versaggi ...
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2013 02:05
I just have an option in the menu config which simply says left handed or right handed. Not difficult to reposition your controls accordingly. Of course you should persist this setting in your game config.

I don't think people mind if you ask, in fact they should appreciate the effort to allow for lefties

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 22:12:29
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 22:12:29