Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Test App on Device with AGK Player

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys,

How do I get my app to run on my device?

I have the AppGameKit player installed on my phone (Galaxy S3), I created an exception in windows firewall for AppGameKit and I use the compile, run and broadcast option in the SDK.

Is there something I am missing?
Ramtastic
Years of Service
User Offline
Update: When i turn on the agk player on my device I get an error message.

Last Error
Failed to create broadcast packet

I am not sure what it means.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2013 20:24
What version of AppGameKit (v1076 or v1088)?

And where did you get the Player from?

Does the Player ever say 'Network Active' or 'Loading App' when you click on the compile/broadcast button in the AppGameKit IDE (yellow gear with green triangle in front)?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Ramtastic
Years of Service
User Offline
I have AppGameKit v107 installed on my computer and the AppGameKit player installed from the google play store v1.0.1083.

I don't see any of those messages, the palyer will either say Standby or
Last Error
Failed to create broadcast packet.

I am thinking this is most likely a problem with the computer.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2013 21:50
Are you sure that your Android device is connected to the same network as your Windows computer?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Ramtastic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2013 14:54 Edited at: 8th Feb 2013 14:55
Its currently connected through the a usb cable.

Is it through wifi only?
That would make sense.
AgentSam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2013 15:22 Edited at: 8th Feb 2013 17:05
Quote: "Is it through wifi only?"

Some background

"Broadcast and Run" would work via a physical LAN-cable also, IF you could connect it, using say an RJ45 jack, into your phone or tablet.

But since most phones and tablets can only use WiFi or the cellular data connection, you are basically limited to the WiFi option.

Why only the WiFi? Well, because the cellular data IP-connection won't do, because it's in a different subnet (so the broadcast packets won't reach it)!

And why doesn't the USB-connection work? Well, because it doesn't assign an IP to your device.. It's more of a "direct" connection.

So... yea, you kind of need WiFi for "Broadcast and Run" to work on your phone or tablet.

Prerequisites

The prerequisites to make "Broadcast and Run" work are (briefly), that your computer and portable device are on the same IP-subnet, because broadcasting the app to the player on the device uses "broadcast packets" which are confined to the subnet from which they originated.

On the software side, AppGameKit and the Player should be using the same version.. as in, don't broadcast from AppGameKit 108 BETA8 to a player that was made for V1076...

Since the packets are confined to the local subnet, the apps you are testing won't be starting on your neighbours devices, if they happened to be running the player on their device also.. (Well, nowadays it's rather easy to hack into anyones WiFi, but you know, barring that, you'd be fine.)

Cheers,
AgentSam
Ramtastic
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the help everyone.

Ill be testing it out as soon as I get home.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2013 16:23
Broadcasting from the AppGameKit IDE is always over WiFi.

And you can use a v1088 Player with the v1076 IDE (I just recently discovered). But it is still a better idea to use the same Player and IDE version (especially since some things 'broke' in v1088).

Both Players can be downloaded from this page and live side by side on the same device (and actually run at the same time).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AgentSam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2013 16:41
Quote: "Broadcasting from the AppGameKit IDE is always over WiFi."

AL, that sounds like a rather absolute statement. But it isn't true. Broadcasting does work through a cable also. Which you can test, by running the player on a windows machine hooked up to your development machine through a cable on the same LAN.

Cheers,
AgentSam
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2013 17:03
On a Windows machine, sure, but why?

If you are running the IDE on Windows (and that is the only way), then why would you broadcast to another Player on a Windows machine?

Actually, I cannot find a Player for Windows and I cannot compile the IDE/apps/interpreter project to build one (missing some key libraries/includes).

And there are apparently ways to connect an Android device to a PC with the USB connection and have it use the PC's network connection. But I don't know if the Player on an Android will recognize something broadcast from the IDE. As evidenced by the problem Ramtastic is having.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AgentSam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2013 17:21
AL, the point is that it isn't just for WiFi.

Why? Well, if there is a TCP/IP interface to be broadcasted to, then it will work no matter what the transfer medium is. WiFi, Cable, Laser, Infrared, etc.. as long as there is a TCP/IP stack that supports broadcasting data packets that uses that medium. (Let's not get into a discussion of how to use TCP/IP via infrared. )

And the reason why broadcasting didn't work for Ramtastic, is because he was just hooked up via the USB, without an active TCP/IP interface on the same subnet.

It's quite simple, but saying that this ONLY works on WiFi is misinformation.

Cheers,
AgentSam
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2013 17:56
Okay, I stand corrected. When I was composing my original post, the page reloaded and I lost where I said "I think, but could be wrong" and I forgot to add that back (and also dropped a bunch of other stuff I had typed in, due to laziness).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2013 19:53
Broadcast means using UDP rather than TCP, and WiFi is not relevant.

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 22:20:46
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 22:20:46