Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / 1076 android player broadcast weirdness

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2013 01:55
Just lately without changing anything my broadcast functionality has gone loopy. I always had fairly good use with broadcast to the player with no issues, but now I find it messing up.

typical (broken) behaviour is super fast increment of the progress - up to 48% or so, sometimes 78% and stops, then get either "server IP lost" or "listen port failure" (both not the exact error message, but similar)

I also have an app that resolutely refuses to be broadcast. It just won't compile / broadcast, error as above. Other broadcast apps work just fine (the odd transmission error, but I can accept that)

I haven't changed anything on my network setup and tried on 2 different devices. Perchance it's that I've now got 2 androids on wireless, although not obviously listening on the player at the same time?

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2013 16:50
On the app that refuses, does it run properly on Windows?

Multiple devices on wireless should not be an issue (I do it). And I just tested with the Player running on four devices at the same time (2 Android, 2 iOS) and all received the broadcast app just fine.

What type of device is behaving badly (Android or iOS) and what version of the OS is it?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2013 21:16
Hi AL,

Yes, it runs fine on Windows
I'm confused because I have always enjoyed very usable broadcasting to devices - it's only android btw - same thing happens on XOOM 3.2.1 and Kindle Fire HD (appears to be 4.x)

OK, here's the test from scratch:
Broadcast, then recieves fast up to about 47% then stops, showing LAST ERROR - "i have app"

Try again, stops at the same place, this time error is "failed to connect to server IP"

This is with ONE particular app. Try another (broadcast 100s of times successfully before) I get after 100% "application file does not exist"

Try again - works.
Try again - works again.
Go back and try app 1 again..
Back to "failed to connect to server IP".

So, my initial thoughts are:

1. Possible strange / unhandled filename in app 2 media..
2. I checked (and flushed) the file previously on the device) didn't solve anything - apart from the progress gets to 100% and then I get "failed to connect to server IP".
I checked and all files transferred to the device...

Finally, I removed all media so only files transferred are the byc and for some reason, the source files that 1076 puts in your media folder(!) and still the same error.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2013 22:18
The Player doesn't delete old files from apps it plays. This is a known and reported issue. And we hope that they will eventually fix it.

Go to Settings->Apps->v1076 Player, then click on 'Force Stop' (if enabled, and confirm stopping), then click on 'Clear Data'.

If I interpret everything correctly, this should give you a 'clean' Player to test with.

There is also a 'Clear cache' button.

It might be wise to use the clear buttons between tests of different apps.

The Player doesn't create a different data area for each app run on it and there may be some file conflicts going one.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2013 22:54
More strange behaviour..
I had some debug buttons that always caused a freeze when pressed using android 4.x (these buttons just set some game state for testing).
Now, this magically works on 4.x without me changing anything (apart from adding some log code) which I took out again and it works.
Anyway, going back to the player failing to get the files, it still happens - trying the clear options now..

wow.. it worked!!
Thanks again AL saves the day

nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2013 23:38
That not clearing the cache also probably answers another question.. I found resources from one project in the folder of another app when I manually cleared. I didn't notice a clear cache button - but I was testing on a kindle fire which has some custom jellybean effort on it.

I'll ask you seeing as you have worked with android 108 quite a bit; does it improve the render times on android compared to 1076? I am always having to optimise everything to keep the fps up and couldn't see any reference anywhere that the 108 android code was performance improved.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2013 15:31
Quote: "apart from adding some log code"

It is not uncommon for AppGameKit Tier 1 to have odd behavior that clears up by putting a 'do nothing functional' command (like print("") in the right location.

There are occasional positional issues. I always make sure to put a bit comment ahead of the line stating that is needed to avoid crashing.

While working with Turbo C way back in the 90's, I actually had to create a dummy function and make sure it was the 14th (or something) in the file that was never called. Whatever function was in that position would cause the telemetry and command simulator to fail when it was called. This kind of problem pops up in lots of languages/compilers and places.

And it such a frustrating problem and so hard to figure out that it is what is happening.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 20:22:05
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 20:22:05